PDA

View Full Version : Cap and Rotor

fr_pilot
04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Im doing a tune-up before i take my car to the smog shop. the things im buying are... fuel filter (primary and secondary), oil and oil filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor, and possibly spark plug wires (depends on the price). im on partsamerica.com (kragen) and i noticed that there are two differnt types of cap and rotors. hitachi, tec. the 3rd gen accord i have is a 1987 Honda Accord Sedan LX. It is carb'd. I know that both cap and rotor has to match each other but which one do i have? can i use either one? please help, thank you!

also, what else would you recommend me to buy/change before the smog?

tuxdreamerx
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Maybe a air filter. I havnt had to worry about smog tests, I live in dayton ohio area we no longer have echeck, therefore I have no cat converter.

I think I might have your answer for the cap just give me a few minutes.

MessyHonda
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
like i told you in the other thread....get some seafoam...and seafoam your car....i put some down the carb waited for like 30 mins. and then started the car...i also put some in the gas....and fill it up with premium....drove the car hard......like 80-90mph for like 30 mins...and it passed....i was happy since that means i dont have to worry about the car for another 2 years

tuxdreamerx
04-05-2007, 09:24 PM
ok if your cap looks like this

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/nie/ep693.jpg

its a tec I think

heres mine

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/tuxdreamerx/IMG_02601.jpg

if I remeber right it was a hitatchi but im not 100% sure.

please correct me if im wrong

fr_pilot
04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
awesome! that helped a bunch, thanks a lot!

tuxdreamerx
04-05-2007, 09:59 PM
No problem... I just remebered seeing them helped me because I went to replace mine and they asked me which one im like uhhhh... and then they showed me both and it was easy that way

JHAAz
06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
The TEC is actually the bottom pic and the hitatchi is the top one :beer:

I still had the original TEC cap and rotor in my car when I got it. Says it in big letters on the OE rotor :thumbup:

Jeremy