PDA

View Full Version : idle control? weird reving

hornster247365
04-05-2007, 09:26 PM
ok so i have an 87 accord lx-i programed fuel injection. ne who i'm away at college alot of the time so i don't get to drive a lot. well i come home tonight and its been snowing and my accord is my winter beater. so i go to start her up and she didn't want to start at first. so my second try and she started up but it was reving really weird.

i did'nt even touch the pedal and it would rev up to 3k and then drop right to 500 and then rev to 3k and then drop to 500. so i thougth that maybe the pedal was stuck so i stepped on it and try to knock it with my foot like they said to do in drivers ed. well it reved all the way to 4.5 k and help onto the rev for much longer than it normally does b4 it slowly climbed back to 3.

so i figured maybe if i restart it. turned it off. turned it back on started no problems but kept doing this... what the hell is wrong?!!!!! could it be the cold or a problem with the ecu... if so can i reset it myself?

tuxdreamerx
04-05-2007, 09:28 PM
my accord started doing that but mine is carbed and my old carb had a bad choke heater and choke coil so that was the cause.... and honestly I dont know much about PGM-FI. sorry.

hornster247365
04-06-2007, 07:13 AM
anyone else have any ideas?

bobafett
04-06-2007, 07:33 AM
my car would maintain a high idle, and seem to 'hold onto' the highest rpm it had seen when I had a improperly installed throttle body.

Also, the rolling idle could definitely be caused by your fast idle valve on the back of your intake manifold. there is a little metal plate that can be removed, and you will see a black rubber 'insert?' in there with a notch in the top, you can turn this clockwise to tighten it, 3 full turns fixed my fast idle problems and the car has been happy ever since.

try cleaning/adjusting your fast idle valve, and let us know if that helps. also, has there been any work done on the car that could have messed up seals (tb, intake manifold?) or cracked vac lines?

Estimated Prophet
04-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Same symptoms when the car is warmed up?

hornster247365
04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
especially when the car is warmed up is when the rpms go up and down. i got it to even out through reving it and then letting it come down. but when i took it out for a spin it started doing it and then it died. and now it wont start. all my lights aren't working. my dash is flashing the batter and the pgmi lights. i don't know whats wrong.

my friend said something about the air vacum pump could be shot. but i don't think that would explain all my lights not working.

LX-incredible
04-06-2007, 10:08 AM
especially when the car is warmed up is when the rpms go up and down. i got it to even out through reving it and then letting it come down. but when i took it out for a spin it started doing it and then it died. and now it wont start. all my lights aren't working. my dash is flashing the batter and the pgmi lights. i don't know whats wrong.

Which lights don't work? Check the ground connections.

my friend said something about the air vacum pump could be shot. but i don't think that would explain all my lights not working.

AIR vacuum pump? We don't have one of those, unless you count the cylinders.:lol:

hornster247365
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
sorry it was the idle air control motor he said.. i'm an idoiot

LX-incredible
04-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I don't think that the 86-87 had an idle control motor like the 88-89. The idle is controlled by a series of solenoids in the black box... I think.:sad2:

dpax
04-11-2007, 07:07 AM
I have an 86 carbed model, and had similar problems (revving, not lights-that is probably electrical)-----replaced the vacuum advance (on distributer) and fixed my problem. it installs w/ 2 screws and a e-clip that is inside distributer.

quantis
05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
ok so i have an 87 accord lx-i programed fuel injection. ne who i'm away at college alot of the time so i don't get to drive a lot. well i come home tonight and its been snowing and my accord is my winter beater. so i go to start her up and she didn't want to start at first. so my second try and she started up but it was reving really weird.
i did'nt even touch the pedal and it would rev up to 3k and then drop right to 500 and then rev to 3k and then drop to 500. so i thougth that maybe the pedal was stuck so i stepped on it and try to knock it with my foot like they said to do in drivers ed. well it reved all the way to 4.5 k and help onto the rev for much longer than it normally does b4 it slowly climbed back to 3.
so i figured maybe if i restart it. turned it off. turned it back on started no problems but kept doing this... what the hell is wrong?!!!!! could it be the cold or a problem with the ecu... if so can i reset it myself? Yo dude it's your idle air control valve! hondas are notoriously known for that i dont know how much yours would be but i have a 94 accord and a new iac for mine is $220.00 this is definatly the cause, because mine still does it(i havent bought the new iac yet)

Pico
05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
he hasnt been on the forum since april 6th :(

LX-incredible
05-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Yo dude it's your idle air control valve! hondas are notoriously known for that i dont know how much yours would be but i have a 94 accord and a new iac for mine is $220.00 this is definatly the cause, because mine still does it(i havent bought the new iac yet) 86-87 didn't have an IACV, only on 88-89.