PDA

View Full Version : piston ring installation

newaccorddriver
04-06-2007, 12:23 AM
well, i finally got my bottom end back. ill post pictures of everything once i get it assembled.

i looked at my piston rings, and its not like the typical hasting rings that im used to working with. the 2 compression rings have different slant angles. one of them slants down to about half way down the ring, the other one slants down about 1/3 the ring. the piece of paper that is included in the ring is vague at best, and it doesnt mention which one goes on the top and bottom... this kinda makes me want to buy hasting rings as their much easier to understand, but hard to do on a long weekend. so can anyone help me as to which one goes on top and bottom?

ZackieDarko
04-06-2007, 12:50 AM
pictures would help you greatly

88Accord-DX
04-07-2007, 08:10 AM
I've never seen any piston ring that doesn't have some kind of stamp on the top compression ring, whether it is some letter or number on it. That ring is the top compression ring & the stamped marking on it faces the top.

newaccorddriver
04-07-2007, 09:47 AM
I've never seen any piston ring that doesn't have some kind of stamp on the top compression ring, whether it is some letter or number on it. That ring is the top compression ring & the stamped marking on it faces the top.

ya, thats why i liked working with hasting rings. i can tell that QC isnt up to par with ITM products as the downward slant on all the rings were all the same, except for 1 ring. i know which side faces the top, but it was actually that one ring that threw me off since it was slightly different compared to all the other rings. im sure itll be fine though

what really did piss me off is how the machine shop installed the old rods onto the new pistons and installed 1 of the rods to the piston in the wrong direction, so the oil hole doesnt point to the intake manifold or the arrow doesnt point to the timing belt. i can have one or the other, but not both.

cygnus x-1
04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
what really did piss me off is how the machine shop installed the old rods onto the new pistons and installed 1 of the rods to the piston in the wrong direction, so the oil hole doesnt point to the intake manifold or the arrow doesnt point to the timing belt. i can have one or the other, but not both.

I would take it back and have them fix it. Those marks are there for a reason. I wouldn't want to risk the engine for something stupid like that.

C|

newaccorddriver
04-08-2007, 11:17 PM
I would take it back and have them fix it. Those marks are there for a reason. I wouldn't want to risk the engine for something stupid like that.
C|

i can see why the oil holes in the rods are pointing a certain way. i dont see why a piston must point a certain direction since its the same all the way around, but im not going to take a chance on it, especially after spending so much on the engine itself