PDA

View Full Version : Oversized Rod Bearings

Fuzy Navel
04-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Where can i get my hands on some oversized rod bearings like .25 or .50 not sure what size i need but i threw a rod bearing it like went into the other rod bearing and made just 1 half bearing and scratched my Crankshaft lob or whatever you call that thing all up so im gonna take my dremel tool and some really fine sand paper to it and then messure it and see what size i need and hope it works

LX-incredible
04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
They are usually sold in increments of .10. It would be best to get it professionally reground or get another crank. The bearing will not last unless the tolerances are correct and the journal is perfectly round.

Oldblueaccord
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Well since it sounds like your on the cheap I would use long strips of crokus cloth or emeroy cloth the same size as the journel. I dont think the dremel will help you and might make some nasty grooves. Hopefully they make undersized bearing for our cranks. I think most every Honda are mathced any way thats what the color codeing is for so look though those sizes and try to find one that mathces what you mic or plastia guage the crank for.

And good luck.

wp

2ndGenGuy
04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Once a crank has been messed on a Honda engine, you can no longer use the color-coded bearings. If it's been scored, and you have to get it turned, you are now using the 0.25 0.50 and 0.75mm bearings.

You can't mess with the crank journals with any kind of cloth or dremel or anything. If it's not perfectly round to a machined tolerance, you're going to spin that bearing again.

And if you do take your crank to be turned, it needs to be re-hardened. That's why Honda says to THROW AWAY your crank, because once it's turned the hardened metal on the outside is gone.

AccordEpicenter
04-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Once a crank has been messed on a Honda engine, you can no longer use the color-coded bearings. If it's been scored, and you have to get it turned, you are now using the 0.25 0.50 and 0.75mm bearings.

You can't mess with the crank journals with any kind of cloth or dremel or anything. If it's not perfectly round to a machined tolerance, you're going to spin that bearing again.

And if you do take your crank to be turned, it needs to be re-hardened. That's why Honda says to THROW AWAY your crank, because once it's turned the hardened metal on the outside is gone.

Exactly, if the crank has grooves into it that you can feel with your fingernail, shitcan that crank. Honda cranks are balanced and nitrided from the factory, and turning the crank ruins that finish. Light scuffs can be smoothed out with emery paper but only by a machinist that knows what hes doing, and only very very very light marks can be removed. Do NOT use a dremel and you need to make sure the journal is round and not egg shaped and that the bearing clearances are correct. If you need too, you can get the crank turned but id reccomend against it if you can, youd be better off finding a good used crank to start with and then going from there with the bearings.

Fuzy Navel
04-06-2007, 04:31 PM
So does anybody have a good crank on here that wants to sell one? lol my granpda told me about the emrory cloth but i guess it might be better to get a new crank because i do ride that accord alittle hard and its my only car right now tonight im pulling the transmission and removing the crank and i will take pictures of my crank and in about 5 minutes i will post a picture of my rob bearing that spun

Fuzy Navel
04-06-2007, 04:37 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1189704/Rod1.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1189704/Rod2.JPG

Fuzy Navel
04-06-2007, 04:48 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Accord-crank-kit-1986-89-30400-14mm-snout-bolt_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33616QQihZ019QQite mZ7948726643QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Please tell me this will work PLEASE!!!

88Accord-DX
04-06-2007, 06:24 PM
The rod journals are correct on that crankshaft. I do beleive it has a 14 mm snout for the crank bolt. If your rod bearing has spun like that, look at the connecting rod real good. If it is real bad, your going to need it machined for an oversided rod bearing for that particular connecting rod. OR you can replace that connecting rod, at least have an automotive machinist second opinion on it.

If you doing that serious of lower end work on it, might as well put some new rings on the pistons.

AccordEpicenter
04-07-2007, 07:43 AM
id replace the pistons and do new rings also

newaccorddriver
04-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Exactly, if the crank has grooves into it that you can feel with your fingernail, shitcan that crank. Honda cranks are balanced and nitrided from the factory, and turning the crank ruins that finish. Light scuffs can be smoothed out with emery paper but only by a machinist that knows what hes doing, and only very very very light marks can be removed. Do NOT use a dremel and you need to make sure the journal is round and not egg shaped and that the bearing clearances are correct. If you need too, you can get the crank turned but id reccomend against it if you can, youd be better off finding a good used crank to start with and then going from there with the bearings.

hate to bring this thread up from the dead, but whats considered a light scuff?

my crank has a scratch on it, i can just barely feel it with my fingernail, would the machinest be able to fix that?