PDA

View Full Version : my apologies to all.

DDRaptor
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I have recently talked to many here about buying parts purchaseing heads blocks, etc. hard parts. i digress.

Just last week i lost everything that i had save up to buy due to losing my timing belt had to take the train to work for a couple of days and my father had to spend lots of $$$ to move the car from pep boys who wanted to charge around $1200 to doing the timing job. and they also misdiagonsed the problem and they still charged $85 dollars from the no start diagonisis. I told the tower to take it there because i have belived it was the fuel pump which i was wrong cause i talked to my father he remined me that if the carb is full the pump wont turn on hence the non-flowing fuel hose.

so please accept my apologizes (spelling) for getting your hopes to all because i seriously don't remembered everyone i talked to.

henceforth the timing belt was replaced to the $400 along with a cv boot that was making some serious noise on turning. the old girl seems so much slower so now much question to you real mechaincs out there (cause i'm an amatuer) could it have been the timing was messed up the whole time and now it's where it's supposed hence why the car is so slow, cause seriously it's really really slow compared to how it was.

Can something be done about the timing??

also on this note the car might possibly be up for sale on here or ebay in the coming months along with many many miscealleous things i need to retake pictures of.

so i ask you as well is 1400-1500 a fair price for an 88 lx in very good shape on the exterior except for the usual rust on wheel wells and i will be honest 2 collisions on the front bumper on both corners. (that's what happens when you let new drivers learn in your car)

it has a full exhaust from the STOCK header back 2 2.5 magnaflow cat and flowmaster muffler, i'm about to add a resonator cause it's LOUD.

also has a 100 watt cd am/fm head unit with a 240 watt amp running four kenwood speakers (130watt) nothing fancy but something very simple.

i will probaley continue to add more things i.e. new shocks to help it's resale value (cost my father $1200) and it has only 85,5XX miles on the clock. 13,000 from myself since last april, and the rest from the owners in ohio so it's mostly highway miles.

Thank you all and sorry for the :violin: story

edit forgot to mention that i would love love love to keep this carbecause it's old parts are cheap and insurance is low. but my situation does not allow to put all my trust in going to and from work in a car thats almost 19, since the parts inside might finally decided to fail again and leave me stranded when i'm in transit to work.

Vanilla Sky
04-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Man, it's fine. I know how things go.

Around here, the car would fetch $800-$1000. If it's really clean with no rust, I've seen them go for as much as $2000. 3geez seem to be making a rebound in price. I payed $500 for the one I'm driving now, and I'm confident that I couldn't find a car in similar condition for the same price, no matter how long I sat and waited.

If you get new shocks under it and get something done about the rust (even if it's cutting what's there out and fiberglassing it back in), you'll be able to pull more out of it. On 3geez, though, don't expect anyone to spend much for it. Sell locally. My current car sat on 3geez for a good 8 months before the previous owner dropped the price. We're all either poor or already have a clean 3gee.

If you do decide to get a newer car, make sure you have it inspected by a GOOD mechanic before you buy it. This may cost you $150 to have done, but you'll find out a lot about a car this way. It's better to be out $150 and not buy a particular car than to buy that car, then spend $2000 on unexpected repairs. Always know what you're getting into.

Most of us sellers on here know that keeping a daily driver on the road is more important than toys for the daily. We understand. All we ask is that you just let us know if something's up.

As for the loss of power, there's a good chance that your timing belt is off a notch. If that's the case, your car will feel like someone just cut your engine in half, leaving you with only two cylinders firing. Take the car back and have it checked out again. This shouldn't cost you a dime.

Good luck with the car, man!

DDRaptor
04-12-2007, 05:41 AM
i fixed some of the power issues i re flipped my carb lid. but she popped the oil cap so now i need some more oil. and i need more atf trick shift. the flipped lid gave a little back at the lower but the top end is still slow.

thanks alot.

2oodoor
04-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Hey I hope you do not decide to give up on the ole girl... may be 19 years old but she is an engineering marvel , why else would everybody be copying it.

You got some of the big issues out of the way already as far as DOA and no transportation.

The power loss could be the ignition timing has not been rechecked since new belt was installed. This can work it's way out of spec as things wear and such. As well, belt COULD be a tooth off , but that is easy to check, but sometimes you can compensate for that a little with ign timing adustment.