PDA

View Full Version : 6X9's don't fit in the rear deck...Advice?

dworakj
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Alright, my installation seemed to be going well until I took out my rear speakers and started installing my Kappa 6X9's. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem, but the basket that infinity puts on these speakers is to large to fit into the factory cutouts in the sheet metal.

Does anyone have any tips, pics, or advice if they have encountered this problem. I thought of mounting from underside but this lends itself to more problems. Any help would be great

mkymonkey
04-10-2007, 12:48 PM
your best friend is a dremel. Just take enough off the plastic to make them fit. i had to do the same. :(

dworakj
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
The plastic part wasn't the big problem it's the damn sheet metal from the ceiling of the trunk. After I put the speakers into the plastic baskets they hit on the rear deck sheet metal...

jschatte
04-10-2007, 01:17 PM
just cut out the metal with a jigsaw. thats what i did

mkymonkey
04-10-2007, 01:37 PM
The plastic part wasn't the big problem it's the damn sheet metal from the ceiling of the trunk. After I put the speakers into the plastic baskets they hit on the rear deck sheet metal...

only way is to cut it maing. tin snippers are the best way....easy and simple.

have fun

Pico
04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I made the hole's bigger in mine with a dremel and some cutoff wheels

buttaz1
04-10-2007, 03:00 PM
i have 4 walmart open air subs in mine
there road something
but what i did i throw the round bitches on the side and in the middle of the deck i put my 6x9s you have to be carfull and cut it out so you dont cut to much oh and you gatta cut the carpet
if all else fails cut a bigger hole AND THEn get some mdf wood and bolt it to the deck and then cut a hole in there and then you good as gold

mkymonkey
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
im sorry but i didnt understand a word of what you said ^^^^

Civic Accord Honda
04-10-2007, 04:34 PM
X2

Civic Accord Honda
04-10-2007, 04:34 PM
oh i have 6X9's with a good size magnet and thay fit put i had to kinda tap them in to get them to fit

ghettogeddy
04-10-2007, 04:37 PM
ya do what money said get some tin snips and cut it in 2 spots then get some pliers and bend it back until u can get them to fit just be mindful of the mount holes

MessyHonda
04-10-2007, 05:15 PM
yup i had to cut and borrow a dremel to get my super big 6by9 to fit.

ghettogeddy
04-10-2007, 05:32 PM
yup i had to cut and borrow a dremel to get my super big 6by9 to fit.
ya i did alot of the cutting on the ones in the lxi lol but one to the speaker it self

MessyHonda
04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
ya i did alot of the cutting on the ones in the lxi lol but one to the speaker it self

on my dx the speakers where bigger....and i still have not put them on.....no time....and i have to go pick up a dremel from the store.

RamThis
04-10-2007, 08:19 PM
6X9's are crap anyway, they are a non-symmetrical cone shape meaning they will distort badly. Always stick with a round cone. I have the Infinity components in my rear deck, they are super clear and no distortion. But these speakers are not made for "bass", only mid-bass and high frequency. Dedicated subwoofers are really ideal for the low frequency or "bass" due to their long stroke, cooling channels, and general design. A nice component set of rounds front and back, with a single 10" (for lots of kick but not so much "boom boom") or a 12" (for not quite as much kick but plenty of "boom boom") and a couple of good amps and a good head unit, and you will have one HELL of an awesome sounding system, better than any sound system in any production vehicle, even a lambo wont have that nice of a sound.

Crazybird
04-10-2007, 08:25 PM
u know the hole is made for a 6x9... how about u try mounting from underneath and totally hiding the speakers? me and my dad were talking about that the other day and im pretty sure it would work

i dont have this problem i have 6.5's? in the back lol

dworakj
04-11-2007, 04:18 AM
I already looked into mounting it upside down and it would work, the only problem I saw with mounting upside down was the torsion bar for the trunk. Oh well, I was dreading the tin snips and a Dremel, I just wanted to see if anyone else had done something besides destroying the sheet metal. Oh well, thanks again.

Cmac
04-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Dude I worked at an audio shop for 4 years Im mecp cert. this is simple its been answered about 3-5 times, tin snips are the easies way professional? not really but easy cheapest and most cost effective

-CMAC

dworakj
04-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Thank Cmac, I figured it had been answered but I searched through the threads and didn't find anything that suited me. I didn't want to start tearing at my rear deck without asking what others had done. Thanks to all who replied.

nskforlife
05-01-2007, 06:25 PM
lol ya, i'm having to cut the guts out of the rear cover to fit my speakers in the rear(jl audio tr650cxi's) and i also figured out the if you try doing this using a jigsaw, you probably wont like the outcome since both my covers cracked in half.. just some advise, dremel ftw.