PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Line routing

SHOtyme
04-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Is there any way someone would be so kind as to take a couple good detailed underhood pics of the vacuum lines on a stock 3rd Gen carburated Accord? I just replaced my carb and have misrouted a good number of hoses and can't seem to get the routing right and now the car just stalls when coming to a stop. None of this happenned until I got the vacuum lines misrouted. I've tried using the underhood vacuum diagram but that thing is so cryptic to me that it's unbelievable. I did do a search but came up short. TIA
Freddy B

A20A1
04-10-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45880
pics are a little better in those

SHOtyme
04-12-2007, 06:31 AM
I appreciate that A20A1 but that is the diagram that's confusing me. I've printed it and blown it up as big as possible but run into problems when it comes to the drivers side of the engine bay. Thats when all of the diagrams routing starts to run into each other.

SHOtyme
04-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Ahhh forget it. I ended up taking it to the local Honda dealership where I was charged $475 for them to simply reroute vacuum hoses!?!? I wish someone had taken a couple simple pics for me to show me the routing without having to use that coonfusing diagram, but asi es la vida. Sure could've used that money in a better place but I can GUARANTEE you this. This is my first and will be my LAST Japanese car. Never again. The only enthusiasm involved with these cars from what I see is when they're being riced out and made to look so ugly you can't even recognize them. What about the people who generally like to keep their cars STOCK. Are we sent out to pasture because we don't want to do things like removing the black vacuum box, or put 3 ft. wings on our cars? Who knows, but I'm probably gonna go back to my SHO group and T/A forums where it's all inclusive. We encourage our members to do their own work and we don't shrug our shoulders at every problem that relates to a stock car. $475..... PISSED

Estimated Prophet
04-13-2007, 05:39 AM
Who knows, but I'm probably gonna go back to my SHO group and T/A forums where it's all inclusive.

You should go ahead and do that. Thanks in advance.

SHOtyme
04-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Done. Your quite welcome.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-13-2007, 05:57 AM
If you couldnt find the info you needed on here with the help A20A1 gave you then maybe you have no buisness messing with a carb in the first place. You cant be pissed off because people wouldnt go out and take pics of their cars for you. You could have just gone to a junkyard and got the pics you needed if it was that important. And im sure their are a bunch of pics of carbed motors in the engine pic section.

A18A
04-13-2007, 06:11 AM
$475 to re-route the lines? whata rip off, i woulda done it for $400

SHOtyme
04-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Your probably right and I did use the info that I was given by A20A1 but I come from an EFI standpoint and this was my first carburated car EVER. The problem wasn't the carb or its installation it was, as the thread title states, the vacuum line routing. I'm not pissed because no one took pics, I'm pissed because I had to end up giving a dealership money when I know that this could've been resolved another way. I would rather given a board member that money than the dealership. My local junkyards had NOT A SINGLE carburated Accord spread thru 6 junkyards!! So I guess it looks like I had no other choice than the dealer I guess. BTW I did a search in the engine pics forum and every engine pic had either been modified, removed, or had not a single pic of the vacuum routing. Excuse me if I seeemed angry in my other post but being that I am a newbie it seems to me that newbies deserve a little more lee-way then veterans. Visit SHOforum.com sometime and you'll see what I'm talking bout. Didn't mean to step on toes.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Everyone on here was new at one time and everyone has to do the same thing when it comes to finding information which is search. Working with all those lines is a pain in the balls, it takes a lot to figure out how it all works. And $475 is insane, you could have probably brought them the carb and had them do the whole thing for that much. Did you mark the lines before you disconnected them, that would have helped put everything where its supposed to go.

SHOtyme
04-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Unfortunatly I did not mark the hoses but next time I know that marking them will be paramount. Hopefully there won't be a next time. And man I did search till it hurt my eyes and fingers but always came up empty handed. Most of the engine pics I found had the air filter housing installed and those pretty much cover everything up. In using the diagram...ugh.. after an hour of trying to trace down those squiggly lines my eyes and patience gave out. As for the dealers price rate, it's what I expected from a stealership.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Carbs are hard to work on. In the future if anything like that happens do a fuel injection swap and call it a day.

MessyHonda
04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
wow....with that much you could of gone webber route

SHOtyme
04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
See messyhonda that's sorta what I was talkin about. I don't want to have a modified Accord. I want my car to be completly stock and run the way it did right from the factory. I have my Trans Am and my SHO for fun and modifications but my Accord was intended for fuel economy, ease of servicibility, and reliability. I gave my teenaged nephew my 99 Limited Explorer 5.0 V8 due to its horrible fuel economy and the fact that I wanted him to have something reliable to drive, and I took the Accord as a project car knowing that it had a few issues with the carb. But the vacuum line issue has kinda soured me on this thing. I know it's an old car with older technology but good greif on the vacuum system on this thing.

MessyHonda
04-13-2007, 10:18 AM
See messyhonda that's sorta what I was talkin about. I don't want to have a modified Accord. I want my car to be completly stock and run the way it did right from the factory. I have my Trans Am and my SHO for fun and modifications but my Accord was intended for fuel economy, ease of servicibility, and reliability. I gave my teenaged nephew my 99 Limited Explorer 5.0 V8 due to its horrible fuel economy and the fact that I wanted him to have something reliable to drive, and I took the Accord as a project car knowing that it had a few issues with the carb. But the vacuum line issue has kinda soured me on this thing. I know it's an old car with older technology but good greif on the vacuum system on this thing.

well...thats why i picked up a manual and this website helped alot. i live in California and we have smog......so most of the carbed 3gees end up at the junkyard. our fam has had 3 of them...and one got junked because it did not pass smog and they only have us 2 years and then when it came to do it again it sucked. at least you know you have a good set up even tho i dont think the new honda techs know what a carb is.

2oodoor
04-13-2007, 11:19 AM
I wish I had looked at this thread earlier this week.
I see you came back today, welcome. Hey, Ive got two decades of automotive experience and these carbed accords stumped me,, no the proper word is stunned me...like a taser. I have wished plenty of GM engineers an early grave in the past from ridiculous assemblys but these black box carb set ups took the cake, somewhere there is Honda engineer with pins in his head, ankles, eye sockets. :rant: and lighter burns all over:mad:
Anyway, there are some photos of vacuum line set up here or linked from, here in the forum, Ive seen them. There are better ways to route them than factory that will give you more power and fuel economy as well as cure a few driveability issues.
And yes, I too have search this forum unitl my eyes were bleeding and the words looked like CF. This forum is HUGE and seemingly infinite. There are some great sources of information here you will NOT find anywhere ANYwhere else I guaarrr un tee.
Stick around, Sorry you had to go pay the man like that dude...
:)

russiankid
04-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Ahhh forget it. I ended up taking it to the local Honda dealership where I was charged $475 for them to simply reroute vacuum hoses!?!? I wish someone had taken a couple simple pics for me to show me the routing without having to use that coonfusing diagram, but asi es la vida. Sure could've used that money in a better place but I can GUARANTEE you this. This is my first and will be my LAST Japanese car. Never again. The only enthusiasm involved with these cars from what I see is when they're being riced out and made to look so ugly you can't even recognize them. What about the people who generally like to keep their cars STOCK. Are we sent out to pasture because we don't want to do things like removing the black vacuum box, or put 3 ft. wings on our cars? Who knows, but I'm probably gonna go back to my SHO group and T/A forums where it's all inclusive. We encourage our members to do their own work and we don't shrug our shoulders at every problem that relates to a stock car. $475..... PISSED
Japanese cars are not plug and play. You need to think. Next time label everything. Plus to get a pic you would need the member to remove the air box. Anyways glad you got it fixed.

SHOtyme
04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Japanese cars are not plug and play. You need to think. Next time label everything. Plus to get a pic you would need the member to remove the air box. Anyways glad you got it fixed.

Have been and will be enjoying them for years... U know what, not even gonna dignify that one.. The problem has been rectified as you can see. Thanx for your input bud.

A20A1
04-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Well I removed my vacuum lines a long time ago, so I couldn't take pics of it even if I still had my car, which I don't

Even then I had old pics but you were not specific which vacuum lines you needed.

And I know every hose that connects to the carb so that isn't a problem, I could even go in and delete the unnescesary vaccum lines in the diagram and repost a simplified version or even one that is color coded.
Just have to ask for something more specific is all.

88Accord-DX
04-13-2007, 04:35 PM
I know it seems hard looking at the diagram trying to route the vacuum lines. The thing with looking at it, is you have to pay attention to detail. Maybe take a small highlighter & outline which ones you put on. I personally done it with the same diagram & was tidious. It took me about 2 hours or so.

junk parts
05-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Hi! I'm the new guy here. I feel the mans pain. I just replaced the carburetor on my 86 Accord. It took me four days to remove and install the replacement carb. After all that work I cracked the replacement carbs base. Now I have to remove it and send it back to where I got it from for repairs. As for that vacuum line routing there is somebody selling that decal on Ebay. All he needs to do is grab the pic from Ebay then enlarge on his PC. :idea: