PDA

View Full Version : No front license plate?

w261w261
04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
When I got my car almost 6 years ago, I decided that I didn't like the look of the front plate, so I took it and the mount off. I haven't been hassled by the cops for this, but I'm older, and I think the only reason they do a stop for a missing front plate is to have an excuse to look around for something else.

How many people here don't have a front plate where one is required? Am I the only one that has done this? Am I just lucky I haven't been stopped? I do live in a small town, so I know the local guys wouldn't bother, but the neighboring towns are bigger.

MessyHonda
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
i want to take mine off cuz its ugly.....you should put it on the lower right side dash area...kinda like what monkey did........i would do it but i have way too much shit done to the car its just another excuse to pull you over.

Civic Accord Honda
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
i took mine off.... but i am thinking about puting it back on on the bumper grill on the left sideand cut the calif part off so its just the numbers

2ndGenGuy
04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I took mine off of my car. Been pulled over twice for it and let go. I don't keep the front plate in the window, because then you can't play stupid. The stupid ploy works every time as long as you're not a dick. Just say you never had one on your car and never thought about it.

Some states don't care. Some don't even give you a front plate. Like Arizona.

Estimated Prophet
04-10-2007, 07:10 PM
And Georgia - No beer on Sundays but no lame plate gaying up the front of my car

gp02a0083
04-10-2007, 08:01 PM
i know some states will ticket you if you have anything blocking the name of the state on teh lisc. plate, IE liek people who were putting neons around the lisc. plate, i know many people around here were ticketed for that junk. as far as the no plate in front , you'd have to check with the dmv or local cops or something

A18A
04-10-2007, 08:35 PM
i wish it was legal here to have no front plate, i think the dented shipped, scratched from hell plate on my car is hidious

A20A1
04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
The metal bumper has screw holes for the plate so I put mine there and then cut the plastic fins off the bumper so you could see the plate.

oldschool3g
04-10-2007, 08:57 PM
yup cops only give front plate tickets because they have nothing better to do...i got one while pulling out of a dive thru...the cop was in the parking lot drinking his drink, saw me...and went after me.

RamThis
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Here in Tx you are supposed to have a front plate. I dont have on on my trucks, and have been stopped for it a couple times. Luckily I played dumb and got let go for both, one I pulled the "had the truck for a bit and it never had a front plate and dealership never told me it had to be there" and other one, I had new plates given to me when I renewed the registration (they automatically replace your plates every so many years) so I put the back one on and the one for the front was just setting in my front seat. Got pulled over and told the cop the front end was fixed a while back from a wreck, and my front plate was missing afterward so I got new plates but havent made it to get a new bracket, but here's my new front plate right here - sorta thing. He let me go too.

But yeah, the 3G will not be getting a front plate when I finish the paint, the Acura will be losing it's front plate as well. I know they can ticket me, but I dont give a shit. It's stupid to have one on the front IMO and makes the aerodynamics of the car worse, and looks horrible to boot. I see no reason for a front plate, they pull you over from the rear, not the front. As far as I'm concerned, I have an extra plate laying around if my old one in the rear of the car gets damaged LOL.

And FWIW, I did put some suction cups on the front plate to my race truck and stuck it in the windshield on the passenger side so that it's visible from the front of the truck. With a 500HP street engine, running only header mufflers, I really didnt want another reason to get pulled over LMAO. Still wont put the plate on the front though. Piss on em.

2ndGenGuy
04-10-2007, 10:35 PM
I'll tell you why they require front plates. So they have a reflective surface to hit with thier laser gun on the front of your car. That is all.

In Washington they require front plates, but don't give you new tabs to put on the front plates. Then they give out new plates every few years because your old ones aren't reflective enough.

frantik
04-10-2007, 11:37 PM
i think if you have a personalized license place in CA it's legal to not have a front plate.. i remember reading that in the CA vehicle code.. course then u have to pay hella money for a plate every year :\

Civic Accord Honda
04-10-2007, 11:41 PM
i get a custom plate when i get my LIC

A18A
04-10-2007, 11:46 PM
i get a custom plate when i get my LIC
lucky :) they cost a few hundred over here =(

BITESIZE
04-11-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm not , and I'm supposed to. :)

carotman
04-11-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm glad we don't have a front plate here (You can't even get one). We have ugly roads, can't get personalised plates but we have no front plates.

I agree that front plates look ugly. I have those little tabs on my bumper to hide the mounting holes. Those without a plate should get some.

gp02a0083
04-11-2007, 06:15 AM
now this is starting to make me wonder why some firebirds/camaro's and Vetts dont have them even from the factory even tho in my state a front plate is required

SteveDX89
04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
No front plate required in PA. :) Couldn't put one on if I wanted to cause I don't have one.

estevana
04-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Here in CO, I've was pulled over for not having the front plate on the wifes Jetta when I had the bra on during winter. So after that I asked a state trooper thats a friend of my dad and he just told me to put it on the dash or put it back on cuz i'll be giving everyone with a badge a reason to pull me over and find something to give me a ticket for.

kcaudill
04-11-2007, 08:39 AM
I had and an accident and the front plate was torn off. While driving home from the accident I was pulled over for not having a front plate. I explained to the Mr. DICK OFFICER that I was just involved in an accident, didnt care..... I even showed him the report, didnt look at it..... Gave me a F***KEN ticket for $100 bucks!!. I went to court to fight it and won, but still had to pay $85 for court costs and wasted a day at the court house. What BS!!!!!

mkymonkey
04-11-2007, 09:37 AM
i ride with no plate on, but havent been pulled over yet. kinda sucks cuz every time i see a cop im like...oh shit lol. i should put it back on, but like everyone else i think its ugly. when i got the car the old plates were so bad i just took them off. when i got new plates from the dmv, i just didnt put the new one on. so its been sitting on my dash ever since lol

I agree that front plates look ugly. I have those little tabs on my bumper to hide the mounting holes. Those without a plate should get some.

get me some and i will put them on, i cant find any here :(

Beanshonda55
04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
well i got mine one because my dad wont let me take it off because my bro took his off and put it on his dash inside the car and he got pulled over and a fix it ticket.

w261w261
04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
I keep my second plate in the trunk, gonna say I had a wreck etc. Lame, but better than nothing as an excuse.

MIK3
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
No such rule that I know if in AZ for the front plate. Infact, I filled and painted over my front license plate holes when I re-did my bumpers.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/392000-392999/392499_39_full.jpg

Cheeseburger
04-12-2007, 11:14 PM
dam i owe a ticket for not having a plate :p

Rockcord
04-12-2007, 11:20 PM
No such rule that I know if in AZ for the front plate. Infact, I filled and painted over my front license plate holes when I re-did my bumpers.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/392000-392999/392499_39_full.jpg
im going to do that when i get my new bumper... then use it as an excuse :-D

Tomisimo
04-13-2007, 07:56 AM
i wish it was legal here to have no front plate, i think the dented shipped, scratched from hell plate on my car is hidious

^^X2^^

Blkblurr
04-13-2007, 10:50 AM
They are required in Ohio but not in the surrounding states. The cops don't pay much attention to it here in DAyton because we are close to state borders. What I did with my plate on my s2000 is take it off and put it betwwen my seats. I also put a small clear suction cup on it in case I get pulled over. I can just stick it to the windsheild. I have not been stopped for it yet.

Catalyst
04-13-2007, 11:21 AM
I have been pulled over 5+ times for no front license plate, but the local cops around here don't really care. They are mostly just bored, and want to make sure I don't have anything I'm not supposed to have in my car. Most of the time they just want someone to chat to. :D haha

Civic Accord Honda
04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
i got pulled over for :no front plate,EXP tags,busted window,car in no ones name,no insuerinc,no lic, underage,
and the cop let me go :D

snoopyloopy
04-13-2007, 02:37 PM
now this is starting to make me wonder why some firebirds/camaro's and Vetts dont have them even from the factory even tho in my state a front plate is required
bc those cars are made to go fast and look good and front plates would ruin both of those aspects to some degree. but i was reading a vette magazine a couple months ago and there was an ad from some company and they were saying that 37 states have front plate laws and they were trying to sell some brackets for the c5 to have a frontie. but around here, the amount of cars i see w/ no front plates or expired registration is rediculous. i would take mine off but i'm too lazy. and only my headers are carb approved, i don't need a ticket atm. beyond that, my eclipse has expired registration and no registered owner, so i only drive it on the streets right around my house. but i have both plates on anyway.

ChaseR
04-13-2007, 02:55 PM
No front Plates in New Mexico Either..

Civic Accord Honda
04-15-2007, 08:56 PM
i had to put mine back on stupid CA laws

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/IMG_00041-1.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/IMG_0002-4.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/IMG_00031-1.jpg

Hans
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I'll tell you why they require front plates. So they have a reflective surface to hit with thier laser gun on the front of your car. That is all.

This is not true at all!!!!! Myth Busters disproved this theory!

Civic Accord Honda
05-12-2007, 12:47 PM
its there so if thay are looking for someone thay can see your plate number

Hans
05-12-2007, 12:50 PM
its there so if thay are looking for someone thay can see your plate number
EXACTLY!:thumbup:

MessyHonda
05-12-2007, 02:26 PM
i took mine off makes the front end look way cleaner.....i have not driven the car much but i hope i dont get pulled over.

frantik
05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
i wanna take mine off :crying: but i dont want to give cops any excuses to pull me over.. i already get paranoid due to my jdm corners and tint :(

A18A
05-12-2007, 04:24 PM
front plates suck

russiankid
05-12-2007, 07:40 PM
i wanna take mine off :crying: but i dont want to give cops any excuses to pull me over.. i already get paranoid due to my jdm corners and tint :(
How would they know if it is JDM or not?

frantik
05-12-2007, 07:43 PM
it's not that they'd know it's JDM, it's that they'd notice there's not a proper front amber reflector on the car. i doubt i'll get pulled over for it though

lx-i coupe
05-12-2007, 07:53 PM
i had to put mine back on stupid CA laws

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/IMG_0002-4.jpg

that's about what i did, except i'm putting driving lights in the stock holes, so i put it right next to the signal light.

when i do the body work i'm filling in the stock holes and the holes i made, so i can use the excuse of not having anywhere to put it.

88Accord-DX
05-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Here in Mo., your supposed to have a front license plate. I didn't have a mounting plate when I got the car. I've been pulled over once about it, but was just given a warning. I've since put my front license plate in the right corner of the front windsheild. I haven't been fucked with by the cops since. I probably need to get a mounting plate, but I don't drive my car on a daily basis.

frantik
05-12-2007, 09:45 PM
when i do the body work i'm filling in the stock holes and the holes i made, so i can use the excuse of not having anywhere to put it.

lol.. knowing cops they won't find that a very good excuse :sad2:

lx-i coupe
05-12-2007, 09:50 PM
lol.. knowing cops they won't find that a very good excuse :sad2:

probably not, if they say anything i'll go down to wal-mart and/or the city building and take pics of all the cars without them:bandance:

Hans
05-12-2007, 10:51 PM
The first thing that I ever did to my car was take off the front liscense plate.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Here my front plate
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/359000-359999/359877_339_full.jpg

Hans
05-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Here my front plate
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/359000-359999/359877_339_full.jpg
Haha nice :)

labeledsk8r
05-13-2007, 12:13 AM
no front plates in florida, and we can get custom plates for 38 bucks more ( i might be rong its been a few years since i was at the plate office). im getting ready to take the front plate mount off my cutlass, its had it all its life since its from a state that had front plates

A18A
05-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Here my front plate
i thought yours was [MY 3GEEZ] or something?? :o i like that one though =P

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-13-2007, 10:45 AM
i thought yours was [MY 3GEEZ] or something?? :o i like that one though =P
(MY 3GEEZ)plate is now gone:sadwave: This new plate (1 2catch)is to go with the turbo motor i am going to put in:eatarrow:

backhatcher
05-13-2007, 02:48 PM
up here you dont even get a second plate when you register one it, costs extra, id rather pay for one personnalised plate than 2 plain janes

drago742
05-13-2007, 03:05 PM
when i got one of my old cars from a dealer i didnt put the front plate on cuz it looked way better but the second day i had the car i got stoped cuz it wasnt in the front of the car but when i had my cb7 i never got bothered cuz i didnt have the plate in the front

Mike89Accordcom
06-14-2007, 10:39 AM
when I had my Accord I had no front plate for over 5 years, got stopped a few times, all warnings, but there was a period for 3 years didnt get stopped once. When I had my Accord repainted, I had him repaint over the holes in front, looked much better!

2ndGenGuy
06-14-2007, 10:58 AM
I got a ticket a couple weeks ago. The dick also ticketed me for not updating my license with the DOL. $224 ticket. I'm fighting it in hopes I can get off on a technicality. If not, I'll at least be nice to the judge and plead down the fine a bit. 4 years with no front plate, and this is the first ticket I get. The cop instantly came up to my car asking me all kinds of questions trying to find every little thing wrong with my car. I didn't even get a chance to be a smartass to him yet. ;) He asked where the 3rd brakelight was in my car, and why I removed it... I was like "dude it's an '84..."

It was definitely revenue night. I'd never seen so many cops out pulling people over. Signs were posted saying "seatbelt patrols tonight." Seatbelt patrols my ass. Last minute quotas is more like it. :thumbdn: :rant:

Civic Accord Honda
06-14-2007, 11:49 AM
my plates back on :(

BenAthar
06-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I've been lucky to live in state that didn't require any front plates. At least most of them. Michigan, Arizona, Georgia don't have front plates. I know Cali does. Was a pain to try and get the front plate screws off, due to bugs, the occasional bum and the like. I know in Cali due to the many accidents you better have the front plate. There is too many idiots out there that will rear end you. It's starting to get like that here in Atlanta even with the damn emissions, yet no smog pump yet!!!!!

MessyHonda
06-14-2007, 11:01 PM
yup today i passed couple cops.....tinted windows and no front license plates....got a bit scared cuz i was with the date...but nothing happen.

gp02a0083
06-15-2007, 08:22 AM
yah we got the seatbelt thing here, b/c corzine got in a wreck with his suv and he's all gun ho about wearing seatbelts. i wear mine regardless but still cops have been using that excuse around here in nj to try to tag you with other things

MessyHonda
06-15-2007, 08:59 AM
yah we got the seatbelt thing here, b/c corzine got in a wreck with his suv and he's all gun ho about wearing seatbelts. i wear mine regardless but still cops have been using that excuse around here in nj to try to tag you with other things

yeah thats why i got pulled over cuz of my dark tint and the cop could not see into my car....its just BS.

JDM A20_Sedan CA5
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
True about CA,we have strict cops. But i've haven't had my front license plate for about 2 years now. i replaced it with a japanese one and cops dont care.(so far i guess)
Not a registered plate btw

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/Doughyboy20/licenseplate.jpg

84Accord
06-12-2008, 12:14 PM
dmv says that the rear plate has to be between 12" and 60"
and the front plate has to be 12 or so for california

but i see a lot of people with no liscense plates so i guess no one cares

frantik
06-12-2008, 01:47 PM
i see a lot of people with no liscense plates so i guess no one cares

cops care they will use it as a convenient reason to stop you

2ndGenGuy
06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I just picked up a new car from California. Car is a 92 and has never had a front plate on it. Helps though when you're older (80+ years old), cops don't really pull old people over for stuff like that. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm pulled over in this car too.

knarg
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
True about CA,we have strict cops. But i've haven't had my front license plate for about 2 years now. i replaced it with a japanese one and cops dont care.(so far i guess)
Not a registered plate btw

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/Doughyboy20/licenseplate.jpg

lol @ the panda in the passenger seat

what kind of lip is that?

frantik
06-12-2008, 06:55 PM
i'm guessing it's a cah lip of some sort :kekeke:

MessyHonda
06-13-2008, 01:27 PM
kung foo panda...woot woot

Civic Accord Honda
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
cah lip ftw

w261w261
06-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I just picked up a new car from California. Car is a 92 and has never had a front plate on it. Helps though when you're older (80+ years old), cops don't really pull old people over for stuff like that. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm pulled over in this car too.

That's what I thought, I'm 64 so they won't pull me over...until a couple of months ago. I was, however, driving one of my employees, who is black, on the way to the train station. The cop was sitting on the right side of the road as we went by, so could not see me driving as much as my passenger...draw your own conclusions.

paul
06-17-2008, 03:07 PM
My cobra is from FL, so it never had a front plate, I kept it that way (in NYS now); never had a problem, then again, cops tend to go easy on domestics.

I've been 'caught' with no front plate, non-updated insurance cards, and no seatbelt, and got a "Get your stuff in order guy! And oh...nice car."