PDA

View Full Version : Armorall

bushbean
04-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Howdy folks,

I've been using Armorall, or similar product, to clean the dashboard. However, the other day, an O'reilly associate claimed that Armorall is bad for the dashboard because of an ingredient in it (Silicone, I think) that attacks the plastic. Is there any truth to this? If so, should I stop using it? Or, is this kid just full of it?

gp02a0083
04-11-2007, 06:19 AM
nope, ive heard the same thing, plus i believe that after using the product and letting the car sit in the sun it will form a film on ur windows.

bushbean
04-11-2007, 06:36 AM
So what should I use to protect the dash from harmful UV rays?

Estimated Prophet
04-11-2007, 06:39 AM
http://www.epinions.com/content_27261177476

From review:

If you want to spend little money and go to a cheap car parts store such as Pep Boy's, get Vinylex instead. (http://www.lexol.com) If you want something of higher quality, get 303 Aerospace Protectant or Zaino-Z-16. You can get the 303 at a boating store, http://www.properautocare.com, http://www.tacscar.com, or http://www.topoftheline.com . You can get the Zaino Z-16 at http://www.ecklers.com or www.zainobros.com .

Jasonf860
04-11-2007, 07:01 AM
The film left on your windows is actually your dash board deteriorating. yes, the silicone in Armorall is what attacks your vinyl coverings. Never use anything that is silicone based on your dash or trim panels. Vinylex is a good product. 303 Aerospace protectant is even better. There are lots of informative write-ups and you can actually buy these products at http://www.autogeek.net/

bushbean
04-11-2007, 07:40 AM
If it is indeed so bad, then why do every McParts stores and Wallymart-type stores carry them? They should be taking 'em off the shelves, in my opinion, if it is as bad as some people claim.

bushbean
04-11-2007, 07:42 AM
My dashboard is not vinyl; it's just the cheap plastic kind.

Jasonf860
04-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Well, cigarettes and liquor is bad too but those are still sold! It's all about the almighty $ mate!
And your dashboard is Vinyl, ALL 86-89 accords are unless they have been modified!

MessyHonda
04-11-2007, 08:37 AM
yeah we were not allowed to use armorall in our autobody class cuz bondo, primer work wont hold up if it has silicone

DBMaster
04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Armorall sells because a lot of people like that "greasy" look. I can say that it kept a 1971 Pontiac dashboard from cracking, though. I was told many years ago by a guy who restored classic cars that using these kinds of protectants caused the surface to become an "Armorall Addict" and you would then have to continue using it to keep the material from deteriorating. I used STP Son-of-a-Gun for the first several years on my LXi. The dash still looks new, but I went to applying the stuff only about 1-2 times a year. If you use a windshield screen when you park in the summer it helps a lot. I use this stuff now occasionally on the dash http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1006&SKU=11169 It was sent to me as a gift. It gives you the nice satin look and is not greasy or sticky at all so it does not make your interior into a greasy dust magnet.

ghettogeddy
04-11-2007, 09:49 AM
ya i just use soap and water and when i have a place clean my car i tell them to skip the greesy stuff lol

Estimated Prophet
04-11-2007, 09:51 AM
If it is indeed so bad, then why do every McParts stores and Wallymart-type stores carry them? They should be taking 'em off the shelves, in my opinion, if it is as bad as some people claim.

What sort of logic is that?

carotman
04-11-2007, 10:22 AM
I heard Meguiar's #40 cleaner is also good

87lxiaccord
04-11-2007, 10:25 AM
wow I use armorall everytime i clean my car which is like every 2 weeks

DBMaster
04-11-2007, 12:25 PM
On my next car a damp microfiber towel is all I will ever use on the dash. I have seen some 3g's with cracked dashboards, but not that many. A lot of newer vehicles don't even use padded dashes, but the plastics made now are more resistant to UV deterioration. Keep it clean, use a window shade in the summer, and get your windows tinted with a good film that blocks UV and you won't have to worry about it.

MessyHonda
04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
On my next car a damp microfiber towel is all I will ever use on the dash. I have seen some 3g's with cracked dashboards, but not that many. A lot of newer vehicles don't even use padded dashes, but the plastics made now are more resistant to UV deterioration. Keep it clean, use a window shade in the summer, and get your windows tinted with a good film that blocks UV and you won't have to worry about it.

:welcome: that is what i did but you cant tint your front window....i just have 35% in the front windows and you can feel the difference when you put your hand on the non tinted front windshield and the tinted one. cracking is not a big problems with our dashes tho unless you live in like Arizona with them tripple digits

frantik
04-11-2007, 12:52 PM
I'd love to see some evidence or like a side by side test or something on this.. i tried looking it up but all i can find are people repeating the rumor without any real evidence, and the armor all website specifically denies that it will cause damage

it is kinda greasy and attractive to dust though :\

To protect my interior i use a sunshade and tint. I wouldn't rely on some liquid anything to protect from the sun.. but sometimes i want to add a lil shine so i'll use some Armor all wipes, and not had any problems :dunno:

Jasonf860
04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
The dash, door panels, and numerous other interior/exterior trim pieces are usually vinyl. Vinyl may be viewed as raw semi-liquid vinyls that are held in place by a solid vinyl "skin" (this description is for illustration only and not a PhD chemical dissertation ). The dash and other vinyl parts of your car are constantly bombarded by UV that breaks down the molecules of the skin, allowing the raw vinyls to escape (off-gassing). These vinyls then may deposit themselves on the glass, forming a haze that is difficult to remove. If you have such a haze, it is probably your dash that has decided to pick up stakes and migrate. Silicone based products do not usually contain UV protectants, and the silicone may act as a magnifying glass, intensifying the UV degradation. Silicone oil may also dissolve the essential oils in the vinyl skin, hastening the premature formation of cracks in the vinyl skin. A quality vinyl protectant will contain a UV protectant and essential oils to replace lost oils from the vinyl. These protectants are expensive, so the K-Mart specials may do more harm than good. Silicone also has very strong electrostatic attraction which may be considered beneficial in that it will tend to stay where it is placed, but will also attract every dust particle in the surrounding three counties.

frantik
04-11-2007, 01:20 PM
^ hmm well the rest of the write up from where you got that does sound reputable but even then it's a "may" do this or that situation. :)

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/carcare/all_dont_use_silicone.html

Jasonf860
04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
yep, unofficial BMW is a good site. All types of knowledge there.
As for the "may" issue, Eating McDonald's 3 times a day "May" lead to a person being overweight and/or a heart attack but then again, it all depends on the person who's doing it.:lol:

frantik
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
:D

i dunno but i checked my dash when i was in my ride and it still felt slippery and looked glossy and i havent armoralled it for months so w/e works i say :)

MrBen
04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I used it for years with my old Accord, and my family did with their Accord since the day they bought it. No cracks, just a nice clean dash. Most of us own a 3g for a few years and move on so I really don't see the big deal.

Jasonf860
04-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I used it for years with my old Accord, and my family did with their Accord since the day they bought it. No cracks, just a nice clean dash. Most of us own a 3g for a few years and move on so I really don't see the big deal.
Most of us own ANY car for just a few years and move on. We could probably use anything and get the desired effect and leave the leftovers for the next guy. I think this really pertains more to the guys/gals who buy a car that they know will be a classic and intend to keep it until it is.

gp02a0083
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
yeah we were not allowed to use armorall in our autobody class cuz bondo, primer work wont hold up if it has silicone

not only that but any oil based product liek that will make paint products fish eye . i just use some soapy water to clean my dash

RamThis
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I've also heard Armor All is bad for plastics and vinyl, it's only good thing is that it restores the shine but degrades the material below it.

Though I have used it for years with no problems so I dunno. My dash on my 2000 Ram cracked on the passenger side, but only because I had to remove the entire dash to replace a leaking heater core. I believe it had more to do with it being in a bind after I re-installed the dash than the Armor All I've used on it.

Also, my 96 Ram that I've had since 97, has not had the dash out, and has had Armor All used on it alot, and is not cracked or damaged in any way.

But I never knew until this post they made much higher end, UV protective films like the 303. I think I will order me up some of that as I enjoy finding better products to keep my vehicles protected.

RamThis
04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
not only that but any oil based product liek that will make paint products fish eye . i just use some soapy water to clean my dash

Silicone is a no-no anywhere near a surface being prepped for paint. Cured paint is not harmed by silicone or most oils. The problem comes in when you get silicone or oils on a surface that will be sprayed with paint/clearcoat. I am not sure of the process in how it happens, but the oil or silicone will repel the paint away from it, forming a "fisheye" effect. Only way to fix it is to sand the surface down and clean it again then repaint it.

carotman
04-12-2007, 03:47 AM
I just got that 303 Aerospace Protectant. We'll see how it looks when I clean my dash.

mkymonkey
04-12-2007, 08:25 AM
meh, i just like to stay on the safe side and soap and water works best. or alcohol if you need to thourougly clean it. but dont use it too often, ive had discoloration in other cars

gp02a0083
04-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Silicone is a no-no anywhere near a surface being prepped for paint. Cured paint is not harmed by silicone or most oils. The problem comes in when you get silicone or oils on a surface that will be sprayed with paint/clearcoat. I am not sure of the process in how it happens, but the oil or silicone will repel the paint away from it, forming a "fisheye" effect. Only way to fix it is to sand the surface down and clean it again then repaint it.

best thing i learned in my 4+ years of auto painting , keep the detail bay/shop far away from the paint bays/booth/shop. i found this out the hard way in the first year i was painting , sucks b/c i was working on a black viper, needed the passenger side 1/2 re cleared due to stone chips, i sprayed it , the detail shop was all outside that day b/c it was nice out and it kept fish eyeing. i think its caused by ionization character of the solvents and is most likely due to solubilitly character also.

speedpenguin
04-14-2007, 04:17 AM
Just spray some carb cleaner on there and you're all set! :D

MessyHonda
04-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Just spray some carb cleaner on there and you're all set! :D

then light it on fire. so it will look and be JDM HOT YO