PDA

View Full Version : PWR steering vs non powered????

3G Jester
09-08-2002, 06:12 PM
OK ive seen people put up posts on removing power steering--whats the big deal is it more bennifical? why do people do it? weight reduction? my power steering is broken--so should i fix it? or just rip it out.....????
:help: :p

dXsquared
09-08-2002, 06:17 PM
if u dont mind not having power steering, take it out... it saves weight and umm... i guess thats all
Travis

3G Jester
09-08-2002, 06:23 PM
how much weight?

Bobs89LXi
09-08-2002, 07:25 PM
Honda's power steering is not true power steering. It is "power assisted" It is for parking and low speed driving. It is essentially manual steering at highway speeds. So, if you don't plan on doing much parallel parking or slow speed manuvering in tight quarters, then there is no need for it.

night
09-08-2002, 07:28 PM
its speed sensitive steering.
so dumbfucks dont kill their self on the freeway.

rallyeNate
09-08-2002, 08:12 PM
i dump my power steering and i am glad that i did. there is a lot better feel with out power steering. the power steering draws HP and adds weight to your car

3G Jester
09-09-2002, 02:45 AM
u serious nate? DRAWS hp? and how much weight?!?!?!?! (est. is fine)

theBeline
09-09-2002, 04:20 AM
wow, it's really only around 5-10 hp I think, at most... Not alot, and maybe 20-30 lbs? I mean, if you want to be anal about it, rip it out, I'm going to, along with all the emisions, washer assembly, AC gear and.. well, I forget the rest, but all that atleast. All that's going to save me upwards to 20 maybe 30 with around 50 or so pounds off. I think, I haven't heard of any dyno's yet `and I haven't weighed the material, but it's around there I think. I kind of need to do that all anyway, seeing how I plan on doing a B16 and don't feel like spending $700 on all the brackets for the swap of the gear...

theBeline
09-09-2002, 04:21 AM
honestly though, unless you plan of really taking you car out of the daily-driver picture, don't do it. It's not that big of a diff for that.

rallyeNate
09-09-2002, 10:27 AM
the power steering doesnt take to much HP and doesnt weight to much, maybe 1-5HP at full boost and mostly 10-15lbs with cooler. not having power steering wont make your care not a daily driver, unless your a light weight.

Vanilla Sky
09-09-2002, 03:05 PM
not having power steering wont make your care not a daily driver, unless your a light weight.

or have a bad back...

Derick

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Vanilla Sky

or have a bad back...

Derick
....Or you're just too lazy to even want to put any effort into crankin that wheel at low speeds, like me :D :lol

I drove a truck for 2 years with no power steering, and when I got the Accord I was soooooo happy to have PS, lol. I'm keepin it ;)

2Fast_Fiero
09-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Its true tho, the powersteering in the honda's are trippy, other REAL Power Steering isn't nearly as easy as Honda's, My mom got in my dads lude and turned the wheel and thought it was gonna be hard, but for real tho guys, how hard is it to turn the wheel at low speeds? because when we had to tow my brothers accord home, it was sucky, no power steering in that situation sucked!

89lxihb 00lude
09-09-2002, 04:35 PM
Ok as someone who has driven on a race track with and without power steering (Track day started with PS then flung all my belts and didn't feels like adjusting a/c and ps belts). I didn't notice too much of a power gain and as long as I was up to speed steering was only a little more difficult. I have also driven w/o the belt for a couple weeks and parking and around town driving does become a pain. Also in cause you don't know the non PS car is easier to turn then a PS car w/o the belt. Thats because of the quicker ratio on the PS car. I would fix it unless you don't have to cash. If you don't make sure u plug the holes.

AZ89Accord
09-09-2002, 04:59 PM
I just replaced my power steering rack a few days ago, it was leaking fluid. I replaced it with a remanufactured one for 135 dls.
Install it your self, it's easy.

I have driven cars with no power steering, to me, it's like going backwards if you install a manual steering rack. Then again, it is just a personal preference.

Drive a car with no PS, and compare both, see wich one you like the most.:super:

rallyeNate
09-10-2002, 01:32 PM
take the damn belt off, if you dont like it then put it back on

3G Jester
09-10-2002, 05:12 PM
its gotta leak--im pretty used to it. ijust dont know wether to fix it or not

OldSchoolSwap
09-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 3g Jester
its gotta leak--im pretty used to it. ijust dont know wether to fix it or not Well, i'll sell you mines if you'd like.

One way to find out how it would feel (if your to lazzzy to take the belt off) is to drive the car to about 25 mph and turn the car off "switch back once" you don't want the steering to lock on you :D then with the motor "off" swing the steering left and right all the way to 0 mph. When you get to a dead stop, turn left and right and that's how it'll feel when your parking unless you move the car, in witch it will get softer as the car moves.

3G Jester
09-11-2002, 02:46 AM
oh god i had to parralell park with out it....casue of the leak i have no pwr stearing...but oh that was the worst time of my life--hard to turn that gd wheel

Neuspeed87lx
09-11-2002, 04:44 AM
my civic dosent have power steering and its not much different than my 3g

OldSchoolSwap
09-11-2002, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by 3g Jester
oh god i had to parralell park with out it....casue of the leak i have no pwr stearing...but oh that was the worst time of my life--hard to turn that gd wheel
Like i said, i'll sell you mine!!

Sabz5150
09-11-2002, 10:44 AM
I can handle my car at low speeds without power steering quite easily. Just takes some getting used to and a bit of oomph.

As for removing the belt to test, that's NOT a good way to test out manual vs. power steering. You're still pushing fluid through a system, so it's gonna take a LOT more force to turn than if you didn't have the system at all.

-5150 :bandit:

tatmark1
09-11-2002, 01:43 PM
sorry i have a hard time beliveing that it is hard for any of you to turn the wheel at low speeds or parrell park, it may take both hands but come on...put them muscles to work or somethin

rallyeNate
09-11-2002, 07:14 PM
you sisy, lift some weights. j/k

CARBurn
09-22-2002, 06:31 PM
This is one person that is happy without power steering. :D

Guyver007
09-22-2002, 07:24 PM
Ill let you drive mine for a week.. mine has a leak as well runs out in about 4 days to 5 depending how much i drive it doesnt bother me much tho steering doesnt get too hard till about a day or two after it ran out of fluid, but then again i guess it still had some left in it there for it didnt get to hard but any way, if you have a stick then it might get a little anouying at first cause you gotta change gears or release the clutch all the while your trying to parallel park.. SUCKS!!!!!! i love powesteering i dont care if it does get ride of 5 ponys, ill find something to do to make it gain 5 ponys back and more... >=P plus its a mission when someone parks too close and you in a tight parking space.. without power steering OMG!!!!! you can forget about goint to a gym cause you might wanna just start off with your car...