PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Horn

brownj218
04-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but if I got honked at by a horn that sounds like the one in my 3G...I would probably just laugh. I would think that Honda would compensate for the small car with a mean sounding horn...but I guess not. I want to know if anyone has ever changed their horn to make it sound...i dunno...meaner. If you have, was it expensive and where did you get the parts? Thanks.

Gemini2003
04-12-2007, 10:21 PM
LOL that's funny... I've kinda wondered the same thing...

tuxdreamerx
04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
oh speaking of that is my horn going bad if I push the button and it doesnt work but every once in awhile ill push it and it works VERY RAREly

Blizzard
04-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I put an Aooogah horn on my truck. Its not exaclty "mean". Gets peoples attention though.

Suicidedoors.com sells train horns kits.

http://www.suicidedoors.com/search.php

A18A
04-12-2007, 10:30 PM
hehe i always wanted to put a fog horn (from a ship) onto a little toyota smart lol i know there was some dude on here from aussie with a maroon 3gee that put on a much louder horn

87LXiR
04-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but if I got honked at by a horn that sounds like the one in my 3G...I would probably just laugh. I would think that Honda would compensate for the small car with a mean sounding horn...but I guess not. I want to know if anyone has ever changed their horn to make it sound...i dunno...meaner. If you have, was it expensive and where did you get the parts? Thanks.

Thats why i never honk at anyone.

Ive thought about changing mine for the same reason and i think you can preety much swap any horn off any other car ( Im not sure so dont quote me) but may need to rig something up if they mount differntly. Personaly i wanted to swap some in from a 3rd gen camaro, aggressive sounding horn plus they should be easy to find at a jy

jschatte
04-13-2007, 09:04 PM
well i changed my horn for the same reason as you.... respect! i got a horn of an econoline and it is pretty normal. Wiring it up was kind of hard becasue domestic horns are switched in the horn in the steering wheel, and honda horns are switched in the horn itself. so two relays later, (one for each horn) you are good to go.

EricW
04-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I swapped mine to a set of Hella supertones. http://www.autobarn.net/twinsuphorki.html
I don't have them installed right now because there are two charge pipes in the way.:rolleyes:

carotman
04-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Well, if you have both horns in good working condition, it's not too bad. The car came from the factory that way so it's ok I guess.

My hatch sounds weird tough. I'll have to check the horns. It looks like they're wrapped in a blanket or something.

2ndGenGuy
04-14-2007, 08:27 AM
One of the original tones went out on my car. I bought a dual-tone air horn at AutoZone to replace them and installed it behind the bumper. It's loud, unless it gets cold out then one of the tones quits working.

I can totally vouch for the Hella Dual Tones though. My friend has a set on his MR2 and they are just as loud as the generic set I bought, but don't fail. My next purchase is going to be either The Hammer (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammer3-Triple-Train-Air-Horns-Horn-Chrome-w-GMAX-Valve_W0QQitemZ130099703883QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6020 3QQcmdZViewItem), or the Hella Triple Tones.

MessyHonda
04-15-2007, 07:33 AM
One of the original tones went out on my car. I bought a dual-tone air horn at AutoZone to replace them and installed it behind the bumper. It's loud, unless it gets cold out then one of the tones quits working.

I can totally vouch for the Hella Dual Tones though. My friend has a set on his MR2 and they are just as loud as the generic set I bought, but don't fail. My next purchase is going to be either The Hammer (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammer3-Triple-Train-Air-Horns-Horn-Chrome-w-GMAX-Valve_W0QQitemZ130099703883QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6020 3QQcmdZViewItem), or the Hella Triple Tones.

so it comes with the compressor and everything?

EricW
04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
so it comes with the compressor and everything?

It looks like its just the horns and the valve, you would need to buy a compressor.

lamontlamont
07-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I just got finished removing (kinda fixing) and replacing my horn. here is the easy way to replace the horn.

1) the horn is located in front of the winshield washer fluid bottle on the drivers side of the car. It is behind the bumper also.
2) you will need the following tools (10mm socket, 12" extension, ratchet wrench, philips screw driver)
3) all you have to so is remove the screw that holds the lower splash guard on so that you can see the washer bottle/you will see the horn wires so remove both of them/remove the front signal lamp assembly on the bumper by removing both screws/ look inside and you will see a 10mm hex head bolt thatholds the horn on now remove it/ the horn should drop down so remove the horn.

You don't have to remove the bumper as the manual says. the only problem i have is finding out exactly how the horn is wired. I measured with my meter and both wires were constantly hot +12v so i am stumped. I notice myhore was rotted with rust and had a hole it in so i shook the rust crumbs out of it and sprayed wd40 inside. It now works pretty good except the low tone makes an aoooga sound but i think it is good enough to pass inspection.

Now, i have a question , does anybody know where i can get a direct replacement horn that i do not have to wire with relays. i just want to plug and play.

A18A
07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
a junkyard? btw theres 2 horns, 1 on each side of the car

conozo
07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
I replaced my sissy horns with two $10 horns from meijer. (they are the same ones at walmart for those who dont have a meijer) I put a low tone one on the left and a high tone one on the right. So when i honk it honks both at the same time which sometimes sounds like their are two cars honking.

The high tone is kinda hard to hear over the low tone horn, but overall it sounds like any other normal car horn.

Civic Accord Honda
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
my old horn was a car alarm when u honked the alarm would go off lol

knarg
07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
i want an oooga horn, that would be hilarious.

Vanilla Sky
07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I have a set of Fiamm horns on my truck. I think they may be packaged as Hella horns in some stores. They cost me $35.

I believe this is the kit: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FIM&MfrPartNumber=6603023&CategoryCode=3074

I plan on installing a set on my car as well. It's the same horn that you'll see on a Ferrari.

lamontlamont
07-13-2007, 04:48 PM
a junkyard? btw theres 2 horns, 1 on each side of the car

So there are two horns on t his car? i didn't know that, the manual doesn't mention this. Is the driver side the low tone and the passenger side the high tone? i forgot to plug in one wire on the driver side horn and inoticed it was just a high tone so i guess i need a drivers side low tone. My question is; how are these horns hooked up? i measured both wires to the drivers side horn at 12volts . does one of these wires go to zero volts so that there is a difference and therefore 12volts across the horn?? i noticed a white yellow wire and another wire. what is the white yellow wire. Once i know what each wire does i can hook it up anyway.

also, when i ask where can i get an exact honda horn i mean a new horn. junk yard horns are notoriously unreliable. The cars in junk yards sit soaked in mud and water and the horn rusts. i was at the junk yard today and the horn i took out had rust holes in it.

I might just get some loud buick horns or something. I know all about wiring and i have relays but i just do not see any info on how these horns are wired in the repair manual.

blh1983
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I bought a universal high tone, & low tone horn set for $18 (sold seperately for $9.00 each) at the autoparts store Knechts. They wired right up! I believe all horns are universal. Of course there probably are a few automakers with proprietary horns; but probably only exotic makes.

I installed my horns by removing the foglight covers on each side and then I just reached right up with a 10mm ratchet (and a wrench at times).. It was not fun. It was a PITA! It may take more time to remove your bumper, but you'll probably swear a lot less. Oh and if you have arthritis, do not even attempt to replace your horns without removing the bumper. My hands started locking up before I even got the first horn out. And I don't have arthritis. I might have carpal tunnel though.

lamontlamont
07-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Maybe you didn't read what i wrote about changing the horn. you don't have to take off the bumper or use a wrench. if you take off the little squre orange light (on lx) youcan look right into the hole and see the screw that holds the horn in place. just use a ratchet and extension. It is way way easier that way. once you take off the square light you will be looking right at the screw. also, to the guy who said you bought horns that just installed with no relays or modifications. what horns are these and the model number?

Re: Changing the Horn
I bought a universal high tone, & low tone horn set for $18 (sold seperately for $9.00 each) at the autoparts store Knechts. They wired right up! I believe all horns are universal. Of course there probably are a few automakers with proprietary horns; but probably only exotic makes.

I installed my horns by removing the foglight covers on each side and then I just reached right up with a 10mm ratchet (and a wrench at times).. It was not fun. It was a PITA! It may take more time to remove your bumper, but you'll probably swear a lot less. Oh and if you have arthritis, do not even attempt to replace your horns without removing the bumper. My hands started locking up before I even got the first horn out. And I don't have arthritis. I might have carpal tunnel though.

brownj218
07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
y did i put this thread in appearance?

lamontlamont
07-22-2007, 11:00 AM
i did not put this in appearance, i put it in general and when i went to check it said "moved" i figured somebody who works at 3geez moved it. i haven't been on here in over a year, i just got back on a couple weeks ago.

Should i move it?

also, to anybody with a bad horn looking to replace it, i just found a direct replacement at some auto store. the brand is FIamm, it is a direct replacement like that other guy said. it bolts right on and y ou plug the wires into the two connectors, it doesn't matter what wire goes on what plug because it works either way so that is a bonus. took me 3min to change it , sounds exactly like it did new.