PDA

View Full Version : ignition box==hp?

newaccorddriver
04-13-2007, 12:56 AM
i know this is a silly question, but does something like an MSD 6a ignition box actually help in the power department?

im not quite sure how the box works other then prevent high rpm misfires, 20 degrees of spark and constant plug voltage.

ill put on my anti flame suit soon

A20A1
04-13-2007, 02:02 AM
I always thought it caused the ignition to fire twice like a Waste Spark / Twin Spark setup... never really cared to get one, I was interested in the BTM though.

So it increases spark durration then?

I don't think it's a power adder, just helps with consistancy.
Might be better off getting something tuneable like a DIS setup
or the 4th gen distributor or others members are swapping to.

guaynabo89
04-13-2007, 09:43 AM
i know this is a silly question, but does something like an MSD 6a ignition box actually help in the power department?

im not quite sure how the box works other then prevent high rpm misfires, 20 degrees of spark and constant plug voltage.

ill put on my anti flame suit soon

no

all it does is maybe smooth out idle and lo rpms. A good working honda ignition system is good for pretty much anythig we can throw at it. except maybe full race

AccordEpicenter
04-14-2007, 01:27 PM
no
all it does is maybe smooth out idle and lo rpms. A good working honda ignition system is good for pretty much anythig we can throw at it. except maybe full race

ive not had misfire issues on the stock ignition even when hitting 17+ psi

M3Galaxie
04-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a MSD 6a on my Galaxie and all it is supposed to do is, along with a blaster 2 or better coil, Make sure you have a powerful spark everytime, cause they say that a stock ignition won't keep up after about 3,000rpm and you'll start getting weak spark. I would imagine though that they started getting stock igintions working better in the '80's than they were in the '60's.

AccordEpicenter
04-14-2007, 01:53 PM
yeah, i mean, its not a bad idea, but if youre looking for power, look elsewhere

M3Galaxie
04-14-2007, 02:01 PM
^agree...for the money I'm sure there is something better to spend it on. You'll be looking at $200 or more with everthing required: (Box, Coil, performance wires, and plugs)

guaynabo89
04-14-2007, 04:19 PM
yeah, i mean, its not a bad idea, but if youre looking for power, look elsewhere

thats what I said in my previous post

newaccorddriver
04-17-2007, 12:19 PM
would i the ability to open up the spark plug gap actually help me in any way?

i mean, a bigger gap means a bigger portion of the fuel is ignited each time the plug fires. that would produce a bigger flame front that would ignite the rest of the fuel and result in less unburnt fuel meaning more power wouldnt it?

A20A1
04-17-2007, 01:18 PM
There was a post on regapping the plugs, you'll just have to run some tests to see which works best. But even then the gains will be minimal.

newaccorddriver
04-18-2007, 12:44 AM
There was a post on regapping the plugs, you'll just have to run some tests to see which works best. But even then the gains will be minimal.

despite gains being minimal, i believe that burning every last drop of fuel that enters into the cylinder is my main goal while im still NA. when i go turbo, i know for a fact that will never happen.