PDA

View Full Version : Bat light and dimming at certain RPMs

johnwc723
04-13-2007, 03:52 PM
It seems that when my car is at certain RPMs (between 1k - 2.5k especially) the battery light seems to like to come on and the lights dim slightly. It doesn't always happen at these RPMs and sometimes its on all the time.

I replaced my alternator probably like 15k ago and today I decided to mess around with the belt tightness from rather loose to very tight and it doesn't seem to make a difference on if the light turns on or off.

I'm a bit stumped, I don't think it could be my alternator again so soon? Could it be the belt (which is only like 8 months old) even though its tightness or looseness seems to have no impact?

All I know is I gotta figure this out cause my battery died from it and I had to get a friend to come and jump me already today :(

Legend_master
04-13-2007, 04:17 PM
It seems that when my car is at certain RPMs (between 1k - 2.5k especially) the battery light seems to like to come on and the lights dim slightly. It doesn't always happen at these RPMs and sometimes its on all the time.
I replaced my alternator probably like 15k ago and today I decided to mess around with the belt tightness from rather loose to very tight and it doesn't seem to make a difference on if the light turns on or off.
I'm a bit stumped, I don't think it could be my alternator again so soon? Could it be the belt (which is only like 8 months old) even though its tightness or looseness seems to have no impact?
All I know is I gotta figure this out cause my battery died from it and I had to get a friend to come and jump me already today :(

Sorry to tell you, but that sounds just like alternator to me.

Estimated Prophet
04-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Sorry to tell you, but that sounds just like alternator to me.

MessyHonda
04-13-2007, 10:20 PM
try to take it in to a auto part store...they should be able to test the alternator and batt for free.

johnwc723
04-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Dang, ~15k miles and its already shot!? Maybe its got some sort of warranty....

Blkblurr
04-14-2007, 04:17 AM
are your wires and connection corroded?

johnwc723
04-14-2007, 10:59 AM
I really don't think so, I checked it all out and it seems good. Other than the obvious battery terminals and the plug going into the alternator what else might be able to cause problems?

ghettogeddy
04-14-2007, 11:38 AM
sometimes u win sometimes u loss
u never really know how long a car part will last and as long as u have ur receipt im sure u can get it replaced