PDA

View Full Version : k20 swap

igarut5410
04-14-2007, 03:53 PM
has anyone done this?
is it possible in a 3rd gen?
Are there any engine mounts that are out there for this swap?
lmk

tuxdreamerx
04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
anything is possible with enough time and money...but I dont know the details on doing it sorry

reanimator420
04-14-2007, 04:02 PM
no there are no mounts but you can check out this link though
http://www.3geez.com/forum/search.php

tuxdreamerx
04-14-2007, 04:04 PM
no there are no mounts but you can check out this link though
http://www.3geez.com/forum/search.php

agreed

mkymonkey
04-14-2007, 05:27 PM
lol good luck puting the hood on...unless you cut a hole in it. haha....and from what i thought isnt the k20 bigger than the h22? if so...how the fuck are you going to put the exhaust on? and i can only imagine what vibrations will do to the thing lol.

Ichiban
04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
K-series will exhaust out the rear of the head, with the intake on the front. There'll be tons of room for the exhaust. Just not the hood.

reanimator420
04-14-2007, 06:22 PM
custom cf hood ftw@@!!

A20A1
04-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah exhaust shouldn't be too bad but you may need to make some adjustments to the firewall or the steering rack... that way the engine could sit closer to the firewall and the header and exhaust wont have to make more bends trying to go down and around the steering rack.
Also the engine further back should give you the most hood clearance.
If anything you can cut the intake manifold and weld it facing more down if it hits the hood.

snoopyloopy
04-14-2007, 07:23 PM
has anyone done this?
no, to my knowledge, no one has put a k20 or any of the other k-series engines into a 3g accord. however, i have seen it done on an 85 civic. so if it's possible there, it should most certainly be possible on a 3g.

lmk
there are engine mounts out there, however none of them are for the 3g accord. you can try mounts from other cars out there and just mod them to fit. that's your best bet. but while you're at it, you do have several issues to overcome. first of all, everything is reversed in the engine bay as far as sides go. also, i believe our hoodline might be even lower than the ef civics. on the ef civics, the k-series swap usually sticks up above the hoodline an average of 1". if that's true, you might need to knock a hole in your hood or get a custom one with a dsm-style hump on the side. then, intake & exhaust are reversed, so you might have some fun w/ the rear crossmember/firewall. i think on the ef and eg (and maybe even ek) civics, you have to knock the firewall in a bit to get some of the exhaust systems to fit. you also have to hack up the floorpan to get the shift linkage to work right in the civics. and when getting the engine, make sure you get one that had a cable throttle, not the electronic dbw stuff. realistically, you're probably look at a $7000+ project, easily topping $10,000 if you do an engine build first. but, don't let me discourage you with numbers. if you can swing that kind of checkbook, then go for it. i think it's a noble pursuit and these cars are worthy candidates. there's plenty of style, originality, class and function here that you can't find in many other cars.

Estimated Prophet
04-14-2007, 07:30 PM
You could buy ours and try. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RSX-Type-S-K20Z1-Engine-Transmission-ECU-Swap-PRB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ001QQitem Z110112934555QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

snoopyloopy
04-14-2007, 07:38 PM
no offense, but you can find complete rsx-s swaps for half that price or even a third. i saw an 06 si swap complete for $3000 the other day. and the z1 has dbw, so you'd have to go around that too.

Estimated Prophet
04-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Trust me I know, my boss is very tight. I had an offer of $4k and begged him to let me take it and he won't budge off of $4500. After a month or two of it collecting dust he'll let me drop the price. I like to use the auction as a gateway for people to see our RSX store parts. According to Overture, it is working. Linking it in this thread will also increase it's link strength in Google.

snoopyloopy
04-14-2007, 08:01 PM
ah, ok. it's still fairly new, i know there are people out there who would buy it thinking they're getting a deal.

MessyHonda
04-15-2007, 08:05 AM
has anyone done this?
lmk

how much money you have?

tuxdreamerx
04-15-2007, 08:16 AM
how much money you have?

x2

igarut5410
04-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I have around 7000 to spend on it... I know it gonna be really pricey... would there be any other way I could build it up that I could get more bang for my buck?
Oh btw I have a 87 hatch

carotman
04-15-2007, 01:26 PM
The hood shouldn't be a problem I think

Legend_master
04-15-2007, 01:49 PM
The hood shouldn't be a problem I think

My b-swap touched the hood (untill i took a hammer to it) and I know the k sits higher then the B.

Vanilla Sky
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I thought you were selling the hatch.

reanimator420
04-15-2007, 02:52 PM
its possible, try http://www.k20a.org/forum/ and ask around there.

MessyHonda
04-15-2007, 03:13 PM
I have around 7000 to spend on it... I know it gonna be really pricey... would there be any other way I could build it up that I could get more bang for my buck?
Oh btw I have a 87 hatch

oh man...that would be one sweet ride...get it done fast then

Legend_master
04-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh btw I have a 87 hatch

Thats crazy you have exactly the same amount quoted by snoopy to get it done :) .

thegreatdane
04-16-2007, 08:23 AM
The hood doesnt matter, you'll be cutting a hole in it anyway to get the air rammed into those ITB's youre going to put on it :)

No newbie is going to pay $4k on an engine alone for the car he just bought for $500 last week.

MessyHonda
04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
i just came by honda and i checked out the si sedan...they want 22k.....so if you want a k20 go buy a civic use the 7k as downpayment

Estimated Prophet
04-16-2007, 03:56 PM
i just came by honda and i checked out the si sedan...they want 22k.....so if you want a k20 go buy a civic use the 7k as downpayment

And drive something any idiot with decent credit can? K20 swap is about "look what I have mother fuckers".

snoopyloopy
04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
yeah, but over here, they're marked up to damn near $30k. sure, you get to talk them down, but still, you'll probably drive off paying at least $23-24k before interest. if all you care about is going fast and you have the cash to pay for a si sedan + insurance, toss that money in a money market account instead then pay for a k-swap in your 3g. or, buy an evo. you can find evo 9's for the price of the si sedan.

The hood doesnt matter, you'll be cutting a hole in it anyway to get the air rammed into those ITB's youre going to put on it :)
No newbie is going to pay $4k on an engine alone for the car he just bought for $500 last week.
i'm telling you people, $4,000 is an extremely high price for a k-series. join k20a.org. i see them going for much less, sometimes less than $1000 (but usually $1-2k) for a k20a3 (base rsx/ep3 si engine) complete swap. sure, that's not the best of the k engines. but it'll get the swap done, and you can upgrade later. (ep3 longblock w/ harness + im + header for $700 (http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26791).) so if it really interests you, look at your resources. not just your wallet, but the space you have available, your skills, etc. as i've mentioned before, almost everything about the swap will have to be custom. so good luck!

MessyHonda
04-16-2007, 09:45 PM
And drive something any idiot with decent credit can? K20 swap is about "look what I have mother fuckers".

most people are cheap and dont get the Si. plus we have to admit our cars are getting old. i would get an Si....if i was not a broke college student

snoopyloopy
04-16-2007, 09:55 PM
most people are cheap and dont get the Si. plus we have to admit our cars are getting old. i would get an Si....if i was not a broke college student
bah, that means nothing. student loans, man, student loans. and if all else fails, get a co-signer. :)

ZackieDarko
04-16-2007, 09:55 PM
plus we have to admit our cars are getting old.

not old, vintage

A18A
04-16-2007, 09:57 PM
bah, that means nothing. student loans, man, student loans. :)
thats what im using for my car :D

MessyHonda
04-16-2007, 10:51 PM
bah, that means nothing. student loans, man, student loans. and if all else fails, get a co-signer. :)

DUDE im already feeling the KY......and im not even halfway done. i pay like 8k a semester....and i need 6...

thegreatdane
04-17-2007, 08:42 AM
i'm telling you people, $4,000 is an extremely high price for a k-series. join k20a.org. i see them going for much less, sometimes less than $1000 (but usually $1-2k) for a k20a3 (base rsx/ep3 si engine) complete swap. sure, that's not the best of the k engines. but it'll get the swap done, and you can upgrade later. (ep3 longblock w/ harness + im + header for $700 (http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26791).) so if it really interests you, look at your resources. not just your wallet, but the space you have available, your skills, etc. as i've mentioned before, almost everything about the swap will have to be custom. so good luck!

Around here a K-swap sells for $5500+ If I could buy one for $1-2k I would give it a go myself.

snoopyloopy
04-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Around here a K-swap sells for $5500+ If I could buy one for $1-2k I would give it a go myself.
even for the k20a3 or a k24 accord engine? because those are hovering at about $2k max over here. i'm thinking of trying it within the next year or two myself. maybe you could get one shipped. i bet it'd still be cheaper. though it wouldn't be a k20a2/k20r/k20z1/k20z3 or tsx motor. just a base rsx motor. but once you get it done, you can reuse the mounts and put in a better engine later. but the base rsx motor still makes same power as b16a.

Estimated Prophet
04-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Just got another $4k offer today, I guess some people haven't gotten the ~$2k memo yet. :D

snoopyloopy
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
yours is a z1, so $4k isn't too overpriced. the ones i usually see for the 1-2k range aren't from the rsx-s or new si. those are usually the $2500+ range.

Legend_master
04-18-2007, 05:57 AM
I just sold a k20 full swap out of an EP3 civic for $1500. People only buy those for the tranny and block. Besides that everybody is going with the k24's .

gp02a0083
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
i dunno man, i went to a honda meet last night and people were looknig at my hatch abd people were saying they know alot of people around here who put the b16/18's in there and one kid said he saw one with a k20 , i told him even the h22 from what i know has to be shoehorned in. i dunno , im gonna talk with this kid who does alot of work on early 90's civics , he said he's gt all the parts to convert my hatch to obd1 and to be able to swap in an egine .

Legend_master
07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
i dunno man, i went to a honda meet last night and people were looknig at my hatch abd people were saying they know alot of people around here who put the b16/18's in there and one kid said he saw one with a k20 , i told him even the h22 from what i know has to be shoehorned in. i dunno , im gonna talk with this kid who does alot of work on early 90's civics , he said he's gt all the parts to convert my hatch to obd1 and to be able to swap in an egine .

Sounds like a load of BS, but if it is true take pictures :thumbup: .

LiTtLe xOx BitT
07-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I dont know, i think im starting to smell that bullshit all they way from PA. Just make sure you check out some of his other work before you let him touch your car.

gp02a0083
07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
i gotta tlak to this kid, from what i heard its outta some shop in north nj, i believe its bs also b/c ive been around this board for a while now and i even know a h22 swap is extremely rare to near impossable. im gonna give this kid a call , i believe him on the obd1 conversion and some other stuff but the k20 seems still to me a far feched idea im gonna look into it and post my findings possably later tonight or later this week

MessyHonda
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
bring your cam....and see if he can do it.

gp02a0083
07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
went to the kids house last night, he does know alot about honda ecus and stuff and how to covert/turbo obd0 to obd1 and alot of stuff with b series motors (guess civic owners mix match alot more parts than i thought) but this deal with the k20 , i asked him about it and he even called bullshit (note i forgot to mention that i was talking to several people at the honda meet , ones saying they've seen b16's and 18's put in and that kid mentioned the k20) on the kid who said he saw a k20 swapped in a 3gee in north nj. im not even gonna bother runin down any information trying to find this so called shop/car as it probally dont even exist. when i get home later ill dig the picts that i took outta my camera of the cars i saw at the one kids house.

Vanilla Sky
07-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Chances are that they've confused your 3gee with a Civic. Somehow, once a Honda gets to a certain age, most people think it's a Civic. Those Civic have had K's swapped in. It's expensive, but they're fast as hell.

'A20A3'
07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
if you have 7000 dollars then you need to build a serious A20 with a kickass turbo setup

or

use that as a downpayment on a used S2000

:)

gp02a0083
07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
i honestally dont know , mine was the only 3gee accord ther , there was a 4th gen and a bunch of brand new civic SI's and a few older integra ones ( the fixed headlight, lenzes not the 4 headlight ones) unless that most of the civic owners there think they can do the same exact thing to an accord that you can do to a civic?:nuts:

snoopyloopy
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
k20 3g would be pretty decent, but i doubt it'll ever be a popular swap. but i have seen it swapped into an '84 civic, so if it's doable there, it's doable for us. i've seen b-series in 1g civics/accords as well, so k20 3g just takes time and deep pockets. which is what we lack. (the pockets, that is.) but yeah, get over to that shop, get pix, get vids of it running, damnit. we need inspiration around here.

evil88accordLX
07-11-2007, 01:52 PM
you would need the subframe from a k20 vehicle also. and the reason everything is backwards in the engine bay is because the rotating assembly spins the opposite direction, so essentially everything works in reverse. the whole front clip would definitely be in order to do the swap properly.

A18A
07-11-2007, 01:58 PM
i find it funny how you see most these engine swap threads that just go on & on and never see anything done

snoopyloopy
07-11-2007, 02:03 PM
you would need the subframe from a k20 vehicle also. and the reason everything is backwards in the engine bay is because the rotating assembly spins the opposite direction, so essentially everything works in reverse. the whole front clip would definitely be in order to do the swap properly.
:huh: how do you figure. no one swaps the subframe in civics or integras and i'm 99% sure those motors all rotate the same direction as ours do. in fact, it's not necessarily that the k-series spins "backwards" as it is that the engine itself is turned around. so if a k-series were mounted like ours, they would spin like ours do. (someone correct me if i'm wrong...) so that's why the accessories are on the opposite side. it has nothing to do with engine rotation direction.

Legend_master
07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
:huh: how do you figure. no one swaps the subframe in civics or integras and i'm 99% sure those motors all rotate the same direction as ours do. in fact, it's not necessarily that the k-series spins "backwards" as it is that the engine itself is turned around. so if a k-series were mounted like ours, they would spin like ours do. (someone correct me if i'm wrong...) so that's why the accessories are on the opposite side. it has nothing to do with engine rotation direction.

Your right. It's not the engine rotation spinning backwards. Its that the transmission spins a different direction, so the engine can be mounted a different direction and the exhaust flows better. Also you are correct about nto needing the subframe either.

i find it funny how you see most these engine swap threads that just go on & on and never see anything done

:werd: , do something about it :lol: .

Steve_Si
07-11-2007, 03:07 PM

Then get one of those 220HP K20A engines, from the DC5R or 7th gen Euro-R and put it in your 3g :D

A18A
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
ill just stick to my b20, costs me nothing :D

Legend_master
07-11-2007, 10:55 PM
ill just stick to my b20, costs me nothing :D

:violin: for the USA.

evil88accordLX
07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Your right. It's not the engine rotation spinning backwards. Its that the transmission spins a different direction, so the engine can be mounted a different direction and the exhaust flows better. Also you are correct about nto needing the subframe either.
:werd: , do something about it :lol: .
this came from an article written in 2001 about the introduction of the new RSX
" Look under the hood of the RSX and you'll notice a major difference from its Integra predecessor and even other Hondas: the transmission (not engine) is sitting on the driver's side, and the intake manifold is up front. Honda says this places the exhaust manifold closer to the catalyst for quicker light-off and lower emissions. Oddly, this is the opposite of the layout used in its Global Compact Platform stablemate, the Civic, which was new last year.

That's because the Civic was the first out of the gate, and Honda chose to introduce the car with an "old" engine design rather than hold it for the new generation, "NP2" engines. By 2003, the NP2 four-cylinders, which rotate in the opposite direction of traditional Honda engines, will be found across-the-board. And this will force cars like the Accord, which has both four- and six-cylinder engines to redirect the rotation of its V6s."

Legend_master
07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
" Look under the hood of the RSX and you'll notice a major difference from its Integra predecessor and even other Hondas: the transmission (not engine) is sitting on the driver's side, and the intake manifold is up front. Honda says this places the exhaust manifold closer to the catalyst for quicker light-off and lower emissions. Oddly, this is the opposite of the layout used in its Global Compact Platform stablemate, the Civic, which was new last year.
That's because the Civic was the first out of the gate, and Honda chose to introduce the car with an "old" engine design rather than hold it for the new generation, "NP2" engines. By 2003, the NP2 four-cylinders, which rotate in the opposite direction of traditional Honda engines, will be found across-the-board. And this will force cars like the Accord, which has both four- and six-cylinder engines to redirect the rotation of its V6s."

Yes this is true, but the direction of the engine is changed due to the engine being turned around and the tranny rotating the other way. The rotating assembly can spin either way, but when you spin the crank the wrong way it will loosen the timing belt, or chain in this instants.

snoopyloopy
07-12-2007, 09:38 AM
ok, how are they determining the direction of turn? if you're standing at the front of the car looking under the hood, then of course, since the k-series sits on the other side of the bay, it's turning "backwards." but put them both on a stand. does it rotate towards the intake ports or away? i'm inclined to think they both rotate the same way, just one is turned around in the engine bay. and i've heard of people swapping k-series head on the h-series block since the k head flows more. wouldn't be possible if the k-series didn't turn the same way.

2ndGenGuy
07-12-2007, 10:40 AM
The engine is always going to spin the same direction that the wheels are turning. Since the exhaust and intake are on the opposite sides, I guess technically the engine is spinning backwards when compared to the old Honda engines. And that's only if it's not in the car. If you put them both up on the engine stands, and oriented the exhaust and intakes on the same sides, then fired them up, you'd probably see them spinning opposite directions. If you oriented them as though they were in the car next to eachother, they'd spin the same direction.

evil88accordLX
07-12-2007, 10:40 AM
ok, how are they determining the direction of turn? if you're standing at the front of the car looking under the hood, then of course, since the k-series sits on the other side of the bay, it's turning "backwards." but put them both on a stand. does it rotate towards the intake ports or away? i'm inclined to think they both rotate the same way, just one is turned around in the engine bay. and i've heard of people swapping k-series head on the h-series block since the k head flows more. wouldn't be possible if the k-series didn't turn the same way.
if you have each engine on a stand and are looking at them, one rotates clockwise and one counter clockwise. if they spun the same direction, you could turn a b16 around backwards in the engine bay. but if you did that, you would have 5 reverse gears.
looking at the front of each engine, they both have intake on the right and exhaust on the left. you can swap the heads from one to another as long as you bring the dizzy with it. this keeps the firing order correct for the head. it doesnt matter which way the head spins because the valves are still going to work the same no matter which way the head spins..

stat1K
08-21-2007, 09:43 AM
sorry to bump kind of an old thread but this one really did make me die a little inside. i remember when i joined the board and everyone was like omg omg omg omg b series... now to say k series wtf are these nubs on. that's all.