PDA

View Full Version : You know that big hose under the air cleaner...

offthahook
04-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Exactly what is it and what does it do? Tonight we removed the air cleaner housing and there is this pretty girthy hose that attaches directly to the underneath side of the air beather assembly. Actually holds it in if you don't remove it. Well, mine had a huge hole and my friend was asking me what it was. I felt ignorant because I didn't know. He told he had a Mustang and this similar hose got a hole in it and he couldn't shift out of 2nd gear and his car ran a little crappy. We did the hillbilly fix and wrapped er in duct tape. A nice, tight duct tape job to be sure, but it was silver duct tape nonetheless. I actually think the car runs a little smoother after that fix. I didn't snap a pictur, but if you've ever ventured near the air breather assembly on the driver's side, you'll know what I'm talking about. Don't worry, my friend rolls a nice Acura 3.5 RL these days. Medical device sales rep. who likes to work on old Hondas. Seriously.

2drSE-i
04-14-2007, 10:58 PM
if you will notice that hose in the bottom of the air cleaner connects directly to your throttle body. It is where filtered air goes into your TB. If it has a hole in it i would suggest replacing it, or getting a CAI.

offthahook
04-14-2007, 11:22 PM
if you will notice that hose in the bottom of the air cleaner connects directly to your throttle body. It is where filtered air goes into your TB. If it has a hole in it i would suggest replacing it, or getting a CAI.

That's kinda what we were thinking, but the idle screw was our main concern (and his wife calling him home). We should have paid a little more attention to it and taken a pic. The hose is molded, but it's more stretchy/soft than a radiator or heater hose. Much larger than a vacuum line, but not quite as big as a radiator hose. Soft and supple, too...

If I had to venture a guess from memory, it would be #33. It definitely "held" the air cleaner assembly on and it definitely was on the driver side.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1984&catcgry3=3DR+S&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=AIR+CLEANER

2drSE-i
04-14-2007, 11:26 PM
oh my fault i thought we were talking EFI...sorry i have no idea what that thing does.

79cord
04-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Running from the aircleaner directly to the cam cover?

Don't really know why, but sometimes you see modified cars with little air filters on their camcovers. I imagine this would provide a similar function -filtered air to ventilate the cam cover, the 'box' shape in the cam cover it goes into providing baffling but little else.

If thats the one you mean I can't believe holes in it would affect anything much.

Ichiban
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Ahh yes that hose takes filtered air from the airbox to replenish the air removed from the crankcase by the PCV system.

2ndGenGuy
04-17-2007, 11:52 PM
No, I don't think it's the PCV breather hose. The PCV breather hose connects to a little box with a foam filter in it. That's attached to the back of the air cleaner box, but doesn't take air from the filtered side of the element.

I think you're talking about the big hose on the side that attaches underneath. I'm pretty sure that goes to the air suction valve. I'm not 100% sure what exactly the air suction valve does, but I think it brings fresh air into the exhaust to help with better burning in the catalytic converter.

Here's a picture of the car with the vacuum lines removed.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/jgturk/IMG_1782.jpg

The PCV intake is that little box with the hose on the back of it. That runs down to the crankcase and takes the fresh air in. The other PCV line is where the PCV valve connects into the valve cover and sucks gasses out of the crankcase to be burned in the combustion chamber.

The PCV system in the A20 flows the opposite direction. It sucks in fresh air through the valve cover, then vents out the crankcase near the bottom, and is seperated by an air / oil sperator box. From that box it goes up to the intake manifold...

That's why you see the A20 guys with the little air filter on thier valve cover. And why the ES2 can't do that.

offthahook
04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I think you have the right hose circled. It's molded, but more like a spongy consistency than a normal hose. It definitely holds that air breather on. There weren't any clamps on it either, but they could have been removed at some point. It just fit really snug on the underside of the assembly. That engine bay looks very familiar to the one we were working on last weekend... What a mess to work around, but sorta fun and challenging, too.