PDA

View Full Version : Good subs for some heavy metal?

alanizgod
04-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Not sure if there are any other metalheads here, but I'm trying to find a good sub that'll move quickly to keep up with the typical fast double bass pedal in the music I listen too. As of right now I have 2 12" JL subs powered by a Kenwood 7202 (which is more than enough for them), and they sound decent but tend to crap out when the speed is too much for them. I don't necessarily need a ground trembling system, but one that sounds well and doesn't lag on the music. Any recommendations?

mkymonkey
04-15-2007, 11:01 AM
you need to upgrade to 2 10's jl w6

i have one 12" w6 and it can keep up pretty good, BUT for the best metal bass drum response....you need 10's

Vanilla Sky
04-15-2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=296-432

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-460

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-414

All 3 of those drivers have been used with good success in home installs. My preference is on the first and second, though.

mkymonkey
04-15-2007, 11:18 AM
oh you also need to make sure you get a competent amplifier. i mean you can have the best subs in the world but if you dont have something awesome pushing them, nothing is going to happen. so far pairing an alpine mono amp to a jl sub has worked wonders for me. but you can also try something like an mtx amp with the jl sub.

oh and just so you know its not all in the subs. the mid woofers are the ones that do most of the work as well. so if you have some nice 6x9's in the rear set at full range with a nice amp and some components up front set at full range with the right frequency....you should have yourself an awesome system :D

Blazin
04-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I got 2 10' Phoenix Gold Xenon's, with a PG Xenon 600 rms and they pound, Chimera, Slay, System, and keep up to anything I put them up to, but eveyones got there opp.......
soon to be instaled just got my ride yesterday, gota shake all the rust out of it.

alanizgod
04-15-2007, 11:19 AM
If the problem was the size...I was looking at Alpine type R's (which was about 500 RMS, of which my amp could handle bridged). I figured I could have either 2 decent powered 10" or one strong one...I'm not sure which would be a better choice.

alanizgod
04-15-2007, 11:22 AM
oh you also need to make sure you get a competent amplifier. i mean you can have the best subs in the world but if you dont have something awesome pushing them, nothing is going to happen. so far pairing an alpine mono amp to a jl sub has worked wonders for me. but you can also try something like an mtx amp with the jl sub.

oh and just so you know its not all in the subs. the mid woofers are the ones that do most of the work as well. so if you have some nice 6x9's in the rear set at full range with a nice amp and some components up front set at full range with the right frequency....you should have yourself an awesome system :D

The midbass speakers are something I'm lacking as well. I just bought some nice Pioneer component speakers for my car and the Pioneer amp gives them more power than they can handle...so that amp would probably do midbass well. I've never personally hear how they sound either, so would I be able to feel them from the rear?

Vanilla Sky
04-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I prefer two subs in stereo. I know all about omnidirectional bass and all, but some tracks end up sounding muddy when the bass is mono. You have the added complexity of building a sectioned box, but that's really not that big of a deal. You should be running a sectioned box anyway.

I'm going to agree with Mky to a point. I'm not a fan of oval speakers. Other than that, I agree. Most of your metal bass should be coming from your full range speakers, not your subs. I prefer running components up front and JUST midbasses in the rear.

I'd also like to add that if you're close, I'll stop by and tune your stereo. I love playing with them, and I've gotten good at setting them up.

alanizgod
04-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I prefer two subs in stereo. I know all about omnidirectional bass and all, but some tracks end up sounding muddy when the bass is mono. You have the added complexity of building a sectioned box, but that's really not that big of a deal. You should be running a sectioned box anyway.
I'm going to agree with Mky to a point. I'm not a fan of oval speakers. Other than that, I agree. Most of your metal bass should be coming from your full range speakers, not your subs. I prefer running components up front and JUST midbasses in the rear.

Would the midbass in the front be too much? I think the smallest size I've been able to find are 6", and I might have to customize the back in order to fit anything of that size. I know too that a mono wouldn't work as well because most of the sounds I need to put out aren't as low as beats as in Rap or music of that type...

ghettogeddy
04-15-2007, 12:12 PM
8" kicker l7

Vanilla Sky
04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-374

Fabricate a small enclosure in the door and use a pair of those.

Crazybird
04-15-2007, 07:38 PM
i have 2 jl wx1v2 the 8 ohm ones and man i listen to billy talent on them and my local rock station all the time they dont have the most bang but i think there still pretty decent

Steve_Si
04-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I've got a single Alpine Type X 10", which fits in a very small enclosure. Keeps up just fine with fast bass.

mkymonkey
04-15-2007, 11:49 PM
I've got a single Alpine Type X 10", which fits in a very small enclosure. Keeps up just fine with fast bass.

i will vouch for the type x. expensive but sure enough worth the money....plus you get the coolness of carbon fiber lol

ghettogeddy
04-16-2007, 12:29 AM
any alpine for that matter but the smaller u go the better and faster the bass will be

2oodoor
04-16-2007, 03:36 AM
quick, easy, and definateley hit the bullseye..Get some Bose 301's and hookem in youre car, Be sure to match up the ohms if youre car system is not 8. Als:rockon: :rockon: o a kenwood or clairon wide band Equalizer in loop.

ghettogeddy
04-16-2007, 08:44 AM
speaking of metal u guys heard of It Dies Today if so u would have loved to be in my shoes last night at there concert in orangevale lol