PDA

View Full Version : radiator hoses "PLEASE HELP!!!"

hondaman1986
04-16-2007, 11:36 PM
does anyone know what "AN" size our radiator would need to cool correctly?

im in the process of converting every fluid carrying hose in my 86 hatch to "AN" fittings and hose's. ive been told that a -16 line will do and ive been told to go -20; but -20 lines are vary hard to come by and the fittings are even harder. so tell me what u think. ive also been told that you multiply the - number by 1/16 and thats the size that the fitting and hose are... so if you had a -16AN that would equal 1". also if you had a -8 that that would be a 1/2" line...

can someone please help?

AccordEpicenter
04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
holy expensive shit mang... Its gotta be at least what, 1 1/4"?

Estimated Prophet
04-17-2007, 06:51 PM
For the first time an entire post just went way over my head. :inout:

AccordEpicenter
04-17-2007, 06:57 PM
and yet you still post

Estimated Prophet
04-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Pass up an opportunity to use the inout emoticon? Hell no bitch, Carpe Diem!

EricW
04-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Sounds like you already have the right size -20. But why would you want to pay so much for the radiator hoses. As long as you keep up with your maintenance you shouldn't have a problem with the regular rubber ones. Have you thought about just getting one of those stainless steel mesh hose sleeve kits, it will probably be cheaper and give you the same look and it comes in the same colors as the AN fittings.
http://performanceparts.com/images/parts/MRG/images/8090.jpg

hondaman1986
04-18-2007, 12:10 AM
not going for looks im going for reliability and the race track. this is my second accord and it will be a race only car so anyone know the correct size?

guaynabo89
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
bro thats like 200+ for just 2 hoses.

thats hardcore money!

im not sure on the size but you really shopuldnt have any reliability issues with the rubber ones. Unless they are cheap pepboys ones or something. get oem honda and theyll last long enough. im still using my original 1987 oem hoses. (need to be replaced soon though theyre drying out lol)

hondaman1986
04-18-2007, 12:04 PM
thats hardcore money!
im not sure on the size but you really shopuldnt have any reliability issues with the rubber ones. Unless they are cheap pepboys ones or something. get oem honda and theyll last long enough. im still using my original 1987 oem hoses. (need to be replaced soon though theyre drying out lol)

yea lots of money but i can get them almost 70% off because my family owns a nascar car or two. anyway i just need to know what size

EricW
04-18-2007, 01:25 PM
thats hardcore money!

Its only $80 for 6 feet. Its not to bad. Not sure where you would get fittings for that size or exactly what you would use to attach it to the thermostat housing or radiator(other than a hose clamp).

guaynabo89
04-18-2007, 04:19 PM
yea lots of money but i can get them almost 70% off because my family owns a nascar car or two.

youre lucky then thause I can barely make enough for a tune up!

LOL

I say go for the bigger size if you can. Couldnt hurt, at worst what....... the coolant would flow slower through the rad bt that might help in cooling?

the fittigns are as expensive as the hose! A couple of conectors in 6-8an cost me like 15-20 dollars each so in 20an that be an arm and a leg.

lostforawhile
04-19-2007, 04:10 AM
I would say look at ebay for the fittings,i've found really good deals there on line and fittings,also summit of course and jegs,remember summit carries their own line of An fittings as well as the earls brand,they are just as good as aeroquip. just cheaper. I have a lot of earls fittings on my car and have trouble telling them apart from aeroquip brand. as far as connectors i used to have a chart that told the conversion sizes,you can contact the aeroquip company they usually have a diagram on the back of their catalog showing the different sizes. as far as connections,i would take a factory thermostat inlet, machine down a fitting to fit on it and tig weld them together. that would give you a nice solid connection at the thermostat side. as far as the water pump side i can't remember if the factory water pipe is aluminum or not. I belive it is,it does remove eaisily from the engine,you could do the same thing with a tigged on fitting. I had actually thought of doing this myself. I assume you are going to run a radiator with AN connections already? what type of radiator did you find that fit?

cygnus x-1
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
You're correct about the "-" sizing. The stock hoses look like about 1-1/4" so I would say -20. Are there any places locally that sell or repair hydraulics? They might have something.

C|

hondaman1986
04-19-2007, 11:33 AM
You're correct about the "-" sizing. The stock hoses look like about 1-1/4" so I would say -20. Are there any places locally that sell or repair hydraulics? They might have something.

C|

not that i know of near me but jegs sometimes gets them in if i can act fast enough lol