PDA

View Full Version : Ratiling noise from under the car

Toby
09-08-2002, 09:00 PM
when my engine is runing there is a ratiling noise comming from under the car could this be the heat shield?? if yes how do I fix it?? it pisses me off kuz when out driving and waiting at the lights or somthing I don't want people to think that my car is stuffed because of the ratiling.

FatBob
09-08-2002, 09:29 PM
Most of the time it is the heat shield

theBeline
09-09-2002, 06:10 AM
Probably the heatsheild, if not, the mount boldt for the exhaust are loose. After leaving the car off for the night, get under the car with a tool kit, it should only be a couple of bolts, check the heatshield bolts first, once those are tight (also check the clearence between the heatshield and the cat, it it is too close to the point of touching or almost touching, bend it out, then put it back on, tight)

If it's not the heatshield then check the mount points of the exhaust, I think there should be some bushings, maybe not, if there are, get new ones, if there arn't, well, does anyone know if there should be? Also chack to make sure the exhaust isn't touching anywhere under the car.

DBMaster
09-09-2002, 06:54 AM
Does it sound like a buzz that increases in frequency when you increase RPM? Mine used to do that when it was new. It turned out to be rocks that would get caught in the heat shield for the converter. The dealer mechanic bent the front edges of the shield up a bit to prevent small rocks from getting in there and I haven't had the problem since.

Toby
09-10-2002, 04:27 PM
I have had a look under the car and yes there are rocks caught under the heat shield, I will remove them on the weekend. Thanks