PDA

View Full Version : A/C Keihin to Denson compessor conversion

dlr1989
04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I have started this thread to detail the conversion of my A/C from a Keihin Compressor to a Denso using the Honda Compressor Conversion Kit 38021-PJ0-R00. I purchased the kit through Majestic Honda for about $600.

The kit I received includes a Denso Compressor model 10PA 15E and is intended for R12 refrigerant. I plan to use R134a refrigerant, it can't be a much worse that R134a in the Keihin compressor. The kit also includes a huge mounting bracket, hoses, receiver/drier, belt, compressor heat shield, instructions and a couple of bags of hardware.

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9171/imgp0064pc2.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/7072/imgp0070bm8.jpg

This first thread entry is intended to detail the conversion kit. I may not get a chance to install the conversion kit for a few weeks. Besides, I did a partial recharge of R134a including UV dye to confirm that it was my compressor that was leaking a few weeks ago. That test confirmed my guess that it was the compressor, again.:rant: But the R134a has not yet leaked completely out. Last summer it was taking less than 24 hours to leak down. I ordered this kit and the old compressor decides to not leak out all the R134a immediately, like it had been doing, oh well, go figure.:rant:

I will update this thread with additional details and photos when I actually install the kit.

bushbean
04-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Is the compressor brand new or rebuilt?
Are you going to flush the evaporator and condensor?
Why not buy another Keihin? Why convert to Denso?

Estimated Prophet
04-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Did the box they ship you have the weight of everything on it?

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Bottom line is that the Nippon/Denso works fine with R134a. The same can't be said about the Keihin.

dlr1989
04-19-2007, 07:27 PM
The R134a issue is the main motivation. The other big reason is that I have been fighting A/C problems that are directly or indirectly the fault of the Keihin compressor(s) since shortly after the car was out of warranty say 13 or 14 years ago.:rant: It was therefore time for a change of repair tactics.

Bottom line is that the Nippon/Denso works fine with R134a. The same can't be said about the Keihin.

As far as the other questions go. The shipping weight of the entire package was 32 lbs. And the compressor is supposed to be a new one. And I see nothing on the compressor to make me believe otherwise. But then I always could be wrong I suppose, after all there is a first time for everything!

dlr1989
04-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I am still debating that question myself and may not make a decision until I get started with the change over. I do plan on posting the procedure that I finally end up using just to provide a bit of documentation in hopes someone else will benefit.

Are you going to flush the evaporator and condensor?

stereo
05-05-2007, 08:29 PM
the change over is pretty straght forward, the kit is the compressor ,mounting bracket ,new belt and both hoses and can be installed in about 2-3 hours with hand tools. as for R134a I had a bad experience with it leaking through the shaft seal (used compressor changover) and since went back to R12 and it's night and day the R12 gets COLD!!! were as the R134a would wimp out when it got very hot.

DBMaster
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Why spend $600 on all those new parts and then cheap out over the refrigerant. I put the same kit in my car in 1999 using R-12 and it's still blowing cold.

dlr1989
05-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Simple answer, it is a dyi project. I and most everyone else here can legally purchase and install R134a not so for R12. And contrary to the dogmatic tirades on the merits of R12 vs R134a on so many threads here, an R134a conversion can be made to work acceptably in a great many cases. I do actually agree that R12 is going to work better, but it is just not realistic option for many here. I had hoped we could have one thread here at 3geez about A/C conversion that would stay free of this discussion. I guess I was wrong.

I had intended for this thread to be a how-to for a successful conversion of both the compressor from a Keihin to a Denso and the conversion from R12 to R134a to try to help those who are having problems with the Keihin compressor. I would prefer that this thread not be the place for further discussion of R12 vs R134a, that is covered in more than enough other threads, but rather be a how-to on making the conversion work.

Why spend $600 on all those new parts and then cheap out over the refrigerant. I put the same kit in my car in 1999 using R-12 and it's still blowing cold.

LX-incredible
05-08-2007, 09:31 AM
All that for $600!? That seems quite the deal.

stereo
05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
the problem with D.I.Y. is the lack of equipment to work on the a/c system the best thing is to intall the ND kit and take it to a shop to have the system evacuated and charged and tested for leaks. unless you bought a set of gauges and a vacuum pump the a/c will not work right with moisture in the system and it will eventually damage the system.

dlr1989
05-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Agreed. But as with most things, there are often times options. Note that vac pumps can be rented or borrowed. For example, a number of Autozone locations will rent vac pumps or so i've read. Gauges can also be rented or borrowed like most other tools. In a pinch many of the R134a recharge kits have a suction side gauge that will work, it's less than ideal, but will work. I have a set of gauges with proper R134a fittings and access to a vac pump so for me not a big deal, but others may need to chase down some equipment or take it to a shop. If one must take it to a shop to have a vac pulled on the system it will drive the cost of the project up a bit, but in any case pulling a vacuum on the system is not an optional step, it is an absolute requirement. I cover most all of this in the write up of more or less step by step instrutions that I am working on to post here at 3geez.

the problem with D.I.Y. is the lack of equipment to work on the a/c system the best thing is to intall the ND kit and take it to a shop to have the system evacuated and charged and tested for leaks. unless you bought a set of gauges and a vacuum pump the a/c will not work right with moisture in the system and it will eventually damage the system.

nswst8
05-29-2008, 07:48 AM
I have just completed this conversion myself. Although I tried another reman Keihin compressor from"ebay" and it would not engage. Bad rebuild.

My original Keihin lasted more than 10 years after my shadetree R134a conversion in 1997 I coould have reused my original Keihin it only had a slow leak at the suction port on the compressor. But never reinstalled a 19 y/o compressor w/o an overhaul.

I used this kit only because I bought it off Ebay for $109 so I used it.

Straight foward conversion no surprises. The only thing that I would recommend is to remove the radiator this will give you all the room needed.