PDA

View Full Version : Shift rod boot leaking on 5 speed manual trans.

88Accord-DX
04-22-2007, 08:11 AM
My shift rod boot leaks oil. I assumed there was a seal in there you could replace from the inside, but from looking at Majestic's website, I don't see a seal in there. Do you guys think that the shift rod has too much play it? Or that replacing the boot would stop the leak? Or that replacing the rod & boot all together would stop the leak?

I beleive it has KL5MT transaxle. Any opinions on it?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13sg70_b07.gif

russiankid
04-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Isn't part #2 the seal for it?

88Accord-DX
04-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Isn't part #2 the seal for it?
That is the boot around the shift rod. You would think that there is some kind of plastic bushing that is supposed to be in there to seal up the rod..

russiankid
04-22-2007, 08:24 AM
That is the boot around the shift rod. You would think that there is some kind of plastic bushing that is supposed to be in there to seal up the rod..
I remember with my tranny being off the car, that it was a boot till a certain point then it got hard. I am sure someone knows.

AccordEpicenter
04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
there just has to be an o ring or some kind of seal in there somewhere. most of those boots are torn to hell and dont leak, plus its below the axle so its probably swimming in oil...

2ndGenGuy
04-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Boot on my car is completely missing. Mine doesn't leak any oil. So I think it's just a dust boot to keep crud from getting into the actual seal... which should be there behind it or in the tranny.

lostforawhile
04-22-2007, 01:43 PM
there is an oil seal that drives in there,just like any other oil seal on the car. problem is the engineers at honda were smoking some really strong green tea the day they designed it. on earlier hondas the rod was straight,and the shift rod slid over it and attached with a roll pin,replacing the seal was easy,you removed the shift rod, used a puller to remove the seal, slid a new seal over the end sticking out of the tranny,and drove it in. then the green tea smoking idiots at honda decided,lets make a t shaped end sticking out of the transmission. that way when the seal leaks,they'll have to tear the transmission apart to replace a 5 dollar seal. :rant:

88Accord-DX
04-22-2007, 03:50 PM
there is an oil seal that drives in there,just like any other oil seal on the car. I figured there was a seal in there, but couldn't figure out why it's not listed for sale on Majestics website. I think I'll see if my local Honda dealer can get ahold of it. Did you replace it, & where did you get it?

AZmike
04-22-2007, 07:34 PM
I've replaced that seal in a few transmissions. The part is available from the dealer.
Part 15 under MT clutch housing
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=MT++++++CLUTCH+HOUSING

lostforawhile
04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I figured there was a seal in there, but couldn't figure out why it's not listed for sale on Majestics website. I think I'll see if my local Honda dealer can get ahold of it. Did you replace it, & where did you get it?i haven't replaced it on this tranny because i'm getting an overhauled one. the problem is on this tranny you have to tear it apart to get the shift rod out,to replace a little 5 dollar seal. the t fitting on the tranny makes it impossible to remove the seal externally. the older manual transmissions had a straight shift rod,that the seal slid over. stupid engineering. the old style worked just fine.

88Accord-DX
10-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks AZmike for the right part. I finally made that purchase from my local Honda dealership. Going to be a fun job putting them in. I don't plan on doing it for about a month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/shifrodbushingboot.jpg

AZmike
10-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Good luck. Be sure to follow the torque sequence on the main and counter shafts when you're reassembling it.

2oodoor
10-14-2007, 02:42 PM
ouch, that is a lot of work for just that boot seal. May as well find an Integra gear box and put those close gears in while its out.
It seems strange that these do on always leak even when they are fubard. I wonder if the oil matters, like some anti foaming agents that keep it from pushing out oil, since this shaft is above "sea level"

VTEC_Inside
12-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Possibly a stupid question, but I was under mine just yesterday and confirmed a hideous leak from my drivers side axle seal (phew, I had much worse thoughts).

Anyway, I was looking at the shift rod which is probably leaking as well, but no where near fast enough for me to worrry about right now. Anyways I got thinking, if you did have a problem with that rod seal, couldn't you just cut a new one down one side to get it over the rod, put it back together with some high temp silicone and then ram it home?

88Accord-DX
12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Anyways I got thinking, if you did have a problem with that rod seal, couldn't you just cut a new one down one side to get it over the rod, put it back together with some high temp silicone and then ram it home?

This old thread reminds me, I haven't got my lazy ass up to tackle this job. (hopes to have time soon on a weekend from working on other peoples cars)

I had to think about that for a little bit. The only problem with ramming it home, is getting all the old seal out. It will be a little difficult to pull the old seal out I do believe. I might take this insight into consideration when I start this job. I have tools that can pull seals. If I feel like this seal can be yanked out & rammed in, I will try it. I don't think it is plausible though. But will damn sure give it a shot.

Edit- It isn't nothing for me to have this done in no time. I have a lift & transmission jack to knock it out with no hesitation. It's the counter-shaft assembly that is holding me back.

It might be the RTV silicone & cutting the seal that rubs me wrongs, so I'll probably pass on that.

lostforawhile
12-04-2007, 06:37 PM
has anyone ever thought of taking the tranny out, cutting off the t shaped end, then modifying the shift linkage to a slide in fit with a pin? like honda used to have? it used to take ten minutes to replace that seal. the end of the shift rod is idiotic. they worked just fine how they were before.

88Accord-DX
12-04-2007, 06:48 PM
That sounds like a good plan lostforawhile, but I'm worried about #12 once I pull the pin out #14 on the diagram. Hopefully it won't be a problem. Still not sure on the counter-shaft thing AZ Mike mentioned.

:dunno:

MessyHonda
12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks AZmike for the right part. I finally made that purchase from my local Honda dealership. Going to be a fun job putting them in. I don't plan on doing it for about a month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/shifrodbushingboot.jpg

hey Dereck do you have part numbers for them? my trans is in the shop and i might as well ask them to replace it while its gets rebuilt.

88Accord-DX
12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
hey Dereck do you have part numbers for them? my trans is in the shop and i might as well ask them to replace it while its gets rebuilt.

I have the numbers but forget which bag either where in. Here ya go.

#91215-689-013

#24316-679-000

88Accord-DX
01-26-2008, 07:37 PM
This boot replacement is almost done. Got the trans axle torn down, just need to pull the counter shafts out. Lots of fun left yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/transpull2.jpg

MessyHonda
01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
oh yeah update on my part....i got my tranny rebuilt and bushings were done...im happy even tho the shop used 10w30 oil....next time i get time im switching over to honda MTF

AZmike
01-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Still not sure on the counter-shaft thing AZ Mike mentioned.

You're supposed to torque, loosen and torque the nuts on both the mainshaft (clutch splines at end) and countershaft (drives the differential).

LX-incredible
01-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Those are actually kind of fun after your first one. I've had 4 apart so far.

88Accord-DX
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM
This job sucked real bad. I wouldn't do it to have fun by far. I did learn a few things in the process. The REAL problem was to get the rod on the gear selector to stay in place while I put the case on. ( 1st pic) I would rather have a root canal than phuck with this seal again. :beat:

Anyhow, pics of the root canal & new boot installed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/gearselector.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/newboot.jpg

LX-incredible
01-29-2008, 07:10 PM
This job sucked real bad. I wouldn't do it to have fun by far. I did learn a few things in the process. The REAL problem was to get the rod on the gear selector to stay in place while I put the case on. ( 1st pic) I would rather have a root canal than phuck with this seal again. :beat:

Yeah that shift guide shaft is a bit of a bitch to get in. Never really had a problem with it falling out though. When I put the case together I have it in neutral and jiggle the shift rod just slightly to the left and right. Once you figure out the tricks to these things it aint all that bad. Nice work.

88Accord-DX
02-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah that shift guide shaft is a bit of a bitch to get in. Never really had a problem with it falling out though. When I put the case together I have it in neutral and jiggle the shift rod just slightly to the left and right. Once you figure out the tricks to these things it aint all that bad. Nice work.

Thanks. If I had it to do again. I recommend just cutting the end of the shift rod (where it bolts to) off & welding it back.