PDA

View Full Version : Lost my low beams, need some help quick!

89AccordNate
05-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Tonight when I was out with the wife, I was in bum fucked egypt, she goes flying down the road to leave, I turn on my headlights and FUCK no headlights!!

I turn on the combo switch and the headlights come up, but I get NOTHING. So I dont know what it is. The lights will flicker for a minute and then they go out. I drove home with my flashers tonight in the fog, talking about pissed off!!!!!

Does anyone know whats wrong? Could it be the combo switch on the column? Im stumped, the fuses are fine and I dont know what else to check

Help me!!!!!!!

Nate.

89AccordNate
05-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Are you guys that fucking worthless? 12 views and not one reply? god damnit i could fucking kill something right now.

carotman
05-07-2002, 07:54 PM
That will help you to get a reply :p

Like I told you on AIM, I'll scan the pages of the honda manual and you'll be able to test your wires yourself

89AccordNate
05-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Yes, I like to take my anger out on fellow non-responders..sorry kids, its 15 min later, and i got my panties out of a jumble and I decided not to poop my pants over the situation.

BUt still......WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MY CAR TECH-CAR-NERDS!

Help me......or ill spank all of you (carot, excluding you, you would like it).

Nate.

SWELLS
05-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Could be your light switch. A few months ago mine were coming up but they would flicker. The switch was getting hot and pretty much warping, not letting the slide connecter inside touch.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
05-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Nate:

You've got several possibilities.

1. Blown Fuse
2. Blown Relay
3. Bad Switch
4. Short in the Wire

I would take a look at these in that order. I ended up replacing my headlight swtich because it would no longer turn on the headlights. I had to wack it a couple of times for the lights to come. It got to the point where I couldn't trust it. A junkyard wanted $80 for the dam assembly (it's a combo with the wiper switch). I got it for about $105 at the dealer with my employee discount. I believe retail is around $180. One more fucken year and the parts of the combo switch would have been available separately.

Claude

P.S. Regarding the spanking. Get your manager to do it & I'll fix your headlights myself.

89AccordNate
05-08-2002, 03:07 AM
How hard is the combo switch to replace and what is involved? I took the cover off of the steering column and it looks pretty intricate in there. I have a feeling it is the combo switch because gradually I would turn it on, and sometimes I would have to turn it on a second time for my headligts to come on, I guess it finally took a dump on me. I checked all of the fuses, and they are fine, so it isnt that. I dont know how it happened all of a sudden. I drove it there, headlights working fine, when I was trying to leave and turn them on, they came up, but no light. The parking lights work and the bright lights work, so thats why I think its the turn knob on the combo switch.

Throw me some pointers on what I need to look for when replacing it.

Nate.

carotman
05-08-2002, 04:17 AM
remove the plastic around it
remove the steering wheel
remove the combo switch

Get a used switch from Carotman

Easy huh?!?

MoonScryer
05-08-2002, 05:05 AM
Here's another possibility of what happen, though I doubt it, given the age of the cars. There were reports of some early cars that had hyperwhites in them frying the light stalk on the column; basicly too much wattage going through them. Now, I don't know how the light system is setup exactly on the Accord, but it is possible to do it, and not blow the fuse.

Also, I think the above is what didn't happen to you. I think you just wore it out; it happened on another SEi I have worked on for a friend.

Course, I think you just jizzed on it too much when watching the pr0n on your TV in there :p

AccordChemist
05-08-2002, 02:27 PM
its your combo switch, replace it...ive heard so many cases of these failing on 3rd gens.

89AccordNate
05-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Well today I fixed my car. I went to the junkyard, and roamed it with junkyard jimmy or some hick guy with a mullet, and we pulled a new combo switch out...an hour or so later..wallah..here is the in progress pics..

http://89accord.0catch.com/switch1.jpg

I also got a crx lip and a section of another one. I went from helping the guy hardcore getting the combo switch out...to roaming the junkyard and ripping apart crx's..haha. So, for $35.00 for both things, I escaped with high way murder!

Now to only finish my crx lip!!!! It will be one complete peice molding together by fiberglass..I have one seam done so far..

Nate.