PDA

View Full Version : fifth gear whining

ben_deez
04-24-2007, 01:35 AM
I just bought this 87 accord lxi that has been sitting for about a year. Come to find out 5th gear is burned out. took off inspection cover and they were ground down completely. Ok, no problem I thought. so I went to the junk yard and got another fifth gear and replaced it. filled fluid to proper level. now when I shift into 5th, it makes a whining noise. I know that aint good. What did I do wrong, and yes I got the replacement gear out of another 87 lxi.

russiankid
04-24-2007, 03:37 AM
Are you sure that you filled it with oil all the way to the top? That is a sign of low oil. Try jacking up the right side of the car, and put more oil into the tranny.

ben_deez
04-24-2007, 10:31 AM
thanx, I will try that today

ben_deez
04-24-2007, 04:30 PM
WOW! I thought I filled the tranny up when I replaced the 5th gear, but come to find out it wasn't. I lifted the right side of my car, as instructed, then I was able to put a whole other quart of 10w-30 in before it started to run off. So I must have been 1/2 quart off from the beginning. Everything runs perfect. No more whine, and the gears grip like nothing else and the drive feels smooth as silk. I just hope I didn't do any permenant damage from running it with low oil. Guess I'll find out later. Right now its time to go hit some curves and see what this bitch can do. THANX

russiankid
04-24-2007, 04:32 PM
WOW! I thought I filled the tranny up when I replaced the 5th gear, but come to find out it wasn't. I lifted the right side of my car, as instructed, then I was able to put a whole other quart of 10w-30 in before it started to run off. So I must have been 1/2 quart off from the beginning. Everything runs perfect. No more whine, and the gears grip like nothing else and the drive feels smooth as silk. I just hope I didn't do any permenant damage from running it with low oil. Guess I'll find out later. Right now its time to go hit some curves and see what this bitch can do. THANX
If you didn't drive it for a long period of time with low oil you should be ok. Like you said, we will see as time comes. I usually never have to tilt my car like i explained. I never had a whining 5th. I just know that if you want to make sure its full you lift the right side up. Anyways glad you got it working, 5-speeds own.

backhatcher
04-26-2007, 11:47 AM
was it a whine that got higher and higher the faster you drove?

jschatte
04-26-2007, 01:50 PM
mine does that, maybe i should check it out

backhatcher
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
ya me too lol

DaveEye
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
How difficult is it to replace a burned-out 5th gear? Is there something posted for this? I did a search and couldn't find the details. Thanks!

ben_deez
05-11-2007, 08:18 PM
when I first bought the car the 5th gear didn't work at all. I took off the inspection cover and it was completely ground down to basically nothing. got another 5th gear at junkyard and installed it. right away 5th would whine. It was a steady whine, not loud one minute and quiet the next. Only when I let off the gas would it quiet down. Then after the advice of russiankid I lifted the passenger side and put as much 10w-30 as I could. I got a whole quart in the tranny. Instantly there was no noise. 5th gear has worked fine ever since.

DaveEye
05-11-2007, 08:43 PM
So, if I just find the inspection cover and remove it, I'll have access to the 5th gear and can replace it that way? Is it really that simple? Thanks.

MessyHonda
05-11-2007, 09:39 PM
i would only put in Honda MTF in our trannies.....makes a world of difference.

AccordB20A
05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
i used to have a buggered leaking gearbox and i had to top the oil up whenever it started whineing haha

ben_deez
05-12-2007, 06:19 AM
8 bolts, the plate pops off, put in reverse, bend lock tabs back using a metal chissle or something. Get strong 30mm socket. the small gear in normal thread, but the big gear is reverse. don't make the same mistake I did. I spent 3 hours at junkyard trying to get damn gear off when I was actually tightning it. get both nuts off, you might have to brace tranny with something so axles wont move, but for me the nuts came off easy every time. replace parts "wala"

1ajs
05-12-2007, 04:11 PM
the inspection plate is the black cover...... (note the shots are from a motor swap..)
http://pointdouglas.com/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/595.jpg

these are like new gears...... they wear in 2 places..... on the outer gear and the inner if the out wears its esay fix if the inner goes time for rebuild...
http://pointdouglas.com/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/597.jpg

DaveEye
05-15-2007, 01:53 PM
hey 1ajs & ben_dees...thanks so much! both posts were really helpful! seeing where the inspection plate is, i am wondering if there is enough room to do the work while the tranny is on the car, but i can look at that when i get ready to do the inspection.

i really appreciate the help very much!