PDA

View Full Version : squeling

buttaz1
04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
ok guys my
3g got a new alt and then busted a belt the alt belt
and i replaced that now every time i turn on the car i get a squeling noise its really annoying and when i put it in drive some times it squells really really bad till i get on the gass and then let go that make the squeling stop but some times when i brake it does the same thing while i brake and then it also squelz all throw the grears (auto matic) what should i do ? i know its a belt

Pico
04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
your belt needs adjustment if it's a new belt then it stretched a bit, just retighten it
edit: I just reread the post it's your power steering belt that needs adjustment

buttaz1
04-25-2007, 05:02 AM
ok
so i just have to tighten the power steering belt?
hmmm ok i didnt know that belt stayed on all the time cause the faster the engine reved the faster the screaching got.
is this the reason why when i turn the wheel its smooth and then it gets really hard and then smooth again?

Pico
04-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Yes, the belt is slipping

buttaz1
04-25-2007, 07:50 AM
how do i tighten the power steering belt?

LX-incredible
04-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Loosen the 12 mm nut and 14 mm bolt just enough so you can move it with a tire iron or something similar. When you get it where you want it, hold it and tighten the 12 mm nut and then the 14 mm bolt. When you're done you should be able to depress the belt 3/4" or so.

buttaz1
04-25-2007, 09:39 AM
ok so
its because its just to loose or to tight ok perfect thanks

buttaz1
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
ok
well i decided to open my hood and actually look this time
and if the power steering pump is right in the front next to the radiater
thats shit is flurked up there are metal shavings al over the place yea summ thats bad right?
how much would that cost me? and or how hard is it to replace