PDA

View Full Version : Correct Way to Clean IAC

Pico
04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Is there any special way to clean out the IAC?
Or do I just use throttle body cleaner on it?
The reason I'm asking is my car is starting to run rough at idle and a load is applied (stepping on the brakes, turning on the lights ,etc...) The ECU L.E.D. is blinking 14x's and that is supposed to be a bad IAC, Is it worth the time and trouble to clean it out or should I break down and but a new one.
Any Help would be Appreciated.

LX-incredible
04-25-2007, 11:28 AM
That defintely sounds like the problem. Try cleaning the connector. The ECU code is thrown only when the correct amount of resistance is not present. It is likely that it's motor is shot and cleaning will not help. I have a couple of extras, not sure if they work though.

Vanilla Sky
04-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Quite a few of us have gotten away with just cleaning them. I prefer brake cleaner to carb cleaner, but it's all about the same. Clean the connectors as well. Beyond a good cleaning, all you can do is replace the IAC.

Pico
04-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I'll give cleaning it a try first.
Thanks for the quick responce's

Oldblueaccord
04-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Try bleeding the coolant line going to or away from it if you can. There might be some air traped in it giving it a flaky reading.

wp

Pico
04-27-2007, 06:25 AM
I tried that first, and cleaned it out but still had a code 14. I ended up replacing the IAC last night and the code went away.
Thanks Everyone.