PDA

View Full Version : smokey goodness!

Jasonf860
04-26-2007, 07:34 AM
So today driving into work i kept smelling this very odd odor. I roll down the window, smell is gone. Roll it back up, comes back instantly. Once I got to work, I shut off the car and the lights only to see little wisps of smoke coming from under the black steering column cover. I have not torn into it yet, but i suspect the multifunction switch is the culprit. Funny thing is, it is a BRAND NEW OEM HONDA switch I installed less than a year ago!

2oodoor
04-26-2007, 08:07 AM
I feel ya, I had to jump the Accord off monday morning, the brake lights apparantley were stuck on.
smoking dash is NEVER a good thing !
Maybe need to take a look at your light relays to see if the prongs are discolored too.

Jasonf860
04-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I feel ya, I had to jump the Accord off monday morning, the brake lights apparantley were stuck on.
smoking dash is NEVER a good thing !
Maybe need to take a look at your light relays to see if the prongs are discolored too.
Does the Honda have relays? I was under the impression that the switch ran all the current through it, and not to a relay.

Jasonf860
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
yep, i was right! Smoked the headlight switch. Found one of my H4's blew, must have caused some havoc cause the plug was a little melty as well. Replacing the bulbs and plugs now, also the entire housings with some others that I have. Next comes the actual switch replacement with the original one that was broken and then repaired after i bought a brand new one! WTF?!?!?!

2oodoor
04-27-2007, 04:34 AM
glad you cleared the air :rofl:
there are relays for the retractables and high beams

Jasonf860
04-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Well, I finally have it all back together and working properly. lucky for me I never tossed my old headlight switch with the broken stalk. I was able to salvage the stalk from the new switch and install it on the old one. Works 100% now. No issues! i spent an hour tracing wires, checking fuses etc to find out why after i replaced everything, the headlights wouldn't turn on. Stupid me, i forgot to plug the bastards in!

Thanks everyone for your input/feedback!

2ndGenGuy
04-29-2007, 03:34 PM
You didn't have a bulb over 55/60 watts did you? That will melt stuff pretty quick!

Oldblueaccord
05-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah if the H4's are pulling more then stock thats why the switch fried. Need to make sure there a relay in there somewhere to give that switch relief.

wp