PDA

View Full Version : new cam

race12001
04-26-2007, 11:17 AM
ii just got off the phone with delta and my 272 cam is on the way any how i didnt know that there was a group buy for us but my next question is should i go ahed and replace the valves and spring while im at it or what just curious

hondaman1986
04-26-2007, 12:13 PM
ii just got off the phone with delta and my 272 cam is on the way any how i didnt know that there was a group buy for us but my next question is should i go ahed and replace the valves and spring while im at it or what just curious

you might as well change the springs while you have the cam out. makes sence to me

Jasonf860
04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
if you plan on changing the springs, or doing more engine work, then change them. Otherwise, unless you plan on turning higher than stock RPM's, there is no real need.

87lxiaccord
04-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Unless you have really high miles or looking to pass the stock rev limit then you don't have to change them.

hondaman1986
04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
does 235,000 miles qualify as a lot of miles lol

guaynabo89
04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
valve springs generally dont wear out

gfrg88
04-26-2007, 03:36 PM
valve springs generally dont wear out

yeap. theres your answer. i would just put on all the valve train from a 2g lude on it.....

race12001
04-26-2007, 05:08 PM
well it has 130,000mi and i was just hinking about redoing the head so im gonna put some new ones on there while i got it tore down but i dont think im gonna put any hevier springs on it but if i get a deal i might i have been known to turn the piss out of it

2ndGenGuy
04-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Well, if you have a cam with higher lift, you ARE putting more tension on the springs since they're getting compressed more... Just food for thought. RPMs aren't the only factor.

Jasonf860
04-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Well, if you have a cam with higher lift, you ARE putting more tension on the springs since they're getting compressed more... Just food for thought. RPMs aren't the only factor.
True, but these are reground cams. They will NEVER be any higher than the factory one.

2ndGenGuy
04-27-2007, 07:57 AM
True, but these are reground cams. They will NEVER be any higher than the factory one.

Well they weld extra material onto them, THEN regrind them. That's the only way you can get longer duration. The lobes are bigger whether they increase duration or lift.

If they didn't add material to the cam, the only regrinding they could do would be to shorten duration.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added a little bit of lift. Extra lift is a good way to get a little extra flow through the head, and add performance. Which is what you want from a performance cam. :)

cygnus x-1
04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Well they weld extra material onto them, THEN regrind them. That's the only way you can get longer duration. The lobes are bigger whether they increase duration or lift.
If they didn't add material to the cam, the only regrinding they could do would be to shorten duration.
I wouldn't be surprised if they added a little bit of lift. Extra lift is a good way to get a little extra flow through the head, and add performance. Which is what you want from a performance cam. :)

Not necessarily. The base circle is ground down so that the existing lobes are effectively wider and taller in relation to the base circle. For the milder regrinds welding isn't needed. For the more aggressive grinds though it is. That's why the more aggressive grinds cost significantly more than the milder ones.

And reground cams can absolutely have more lift than factory, precisely because the base circle is now smaller. With the reground cam the rockers will be lower than they were before (in the closed position). This is why the valve lash has to be adjusted with a regrind.

C|

2ndGenGuy
04-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Not necessarily. The base circle is ground down so that the existing lobes are effectively wider and taller in relation to the base circle. For the milder regrinds welding isn't needed. For the more aggressive grinds though it is. That's why the more aggressive grinds cost significantly more than the milder ones.

And reground cams can absolutely have more lift than factory, precisely because the base circle is now smaller. With the reground cam the rockers will be lower than they were before (in the closed position). This is why the valve lash has to be adjusted with a regrind.

C|

Ooh interesting! :thumbup: Great info for my memory banks!

ZackieDarko
04-27-2007, 01:46 PM
id say any thing over 300K for a honda is slightly high milage

Jasonf860
04-27-2007, 04:04 PM

C|
+1
Delta cams, or at least MY delta cam does not have higher lift and it is a 272, the same the OP is getting. Best $85 I ever spent on the car!

cygnus x-1
04-27-2007, 05:37 PM
So what is the lift on a stock cam? I was thinking that all of the Colt and Delta cams had at least a bit more lift than stock. Tried searching but I didn't see any stock specs.

C|

race12001
04-27-2007, 06:44 PM
i told him i was on 3geez and got mine for 75 he said that it was cheaper but they went up 10 dollars but 3geez has a group buy so what do i need to adjust my valves to