PDA

View Full Version : F*@ked my tail lights!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coroncho80
09-09-2002, 12:41 PM
Hey guys, I was painting my tail lights Red ( just to get rid of the yellow turning signals) for my SEi on saturday. I didnt realize that i bought the wrong paint. I painted both tail lights (right and left), put like 3 cotes of paint. After i was done, I realized that it was too freaking dark. At that moment i knew that I've F*$ked up. I put them back on and they look funny as shit. :banghead: I then tryed to take the tail lights off of the trunk, that was a paint in the a$$ 'cause i did not know that you had to take the whole thing out. Anyways, I put them back on, plugged them and i could not see the lights at all plus the color was a apple red and it was too bright. I then decieded to strip the paint off and bought a paint remover from PepBoys. That shit did not work at all. At that point I was mad as shit. Today I decieded to go to the junk yards and find a pair of tail lights to put them on my car. After searching differents yunk yards i found one set of lights that it was worth it from a 89 LXi coupe. They wanted $25 for each ($50 for the set). I tried them on my car, plugged them and worked but when i went to put them on the frame, they were too big. It did not fit at all. I did not get it if the 89 LXi is supposed to be the same as an 89 SEi???? I guess it was because the LXi was a coupe and my SEi is a sedan. I don't know but I'm pist!!!!!!! :mad: Can anybody tell me how can i take that spray paint off of my lights???? I don't want to replace them because they are in great shape. Not even a single scrach or nothing. Can i get some feed back???? thanks guys!!!!!!!!

mike_fx_u
09-09-2002, 01:07 PM
if paint remover didn't work the only thing i can think of is sanding off the paint then use a really fine sandpaper to finish it off. after that i think they make a plastic lens polish maybe it will take off the scraches from sanding. hope this helps

pearldrop
09-09-2002, 01:28 PM
Use a pretty fine grade of steel wool. It is a lot of work but it will work. Then you get a plastic polishing kit from someplace like Kmart ($10) and take your time polishing it. They should come out looking better than new.

markmdz89hatch
09-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I gotta go with peardrop on that one! But don't put too much pressure on the steel wool, just lightly strip off tiny layers of the paint 'til you get it all off. Whatever you do, do not use that paint remover. I did that the first time I tried painting my front grill, and the shit just eats through the plastic and makes it turn to mush. Trust me, that's not what you want.

Um.... oh yeah, last thing coupe and sedan tails may look the same, but they are actually totally diff. Sorry you had to find that out the hard way.

Anyway... c'mon man, you gotta represent for the SE-i owners out there you gotta get this shit straightened out by "meet day" I mean c'mon who else is gonna be able to say, "no, you didn't, I drove the longest to get here.

Mike89Accordcom
09-09-2002, 02:08 PM
wow that sucks man. Use some really strong shit to get it off. That is wack.

2Fast_Fiero
09-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Brake or Carb Cleaner, Gasoline works GREAT for taking paint off, I know this cause all the work I did under the hood with the paint detailing, all of it is off because when I pulled the fuel rail off, gas poured everywheres, now I need to repaint and clearcoat so it wont take the paint off again, but yea, try that man, first try gasoline, soak the lense's in gasoline, or buy a few cans of carb or brake cleaner, prefibly brake cleaner cause its stronger and start spraying the lenses, make sure you take them off the car first.

2Fast_Fiero
09-09-2002, 04:17 PM
Next time use Transparent Candy Apple Red lol

Coroncho80
09-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I'm gonna do my best tomorrow when i get back from school. At night i can pimp all i want but during the day, it looks like if i would put wax on them and never took it off. I'm gonna take them off tomorrow and do section by section.
Mark: Don't worry that this little mistake its not gonna stop me from going, it has to take something bigger than that lol. I just got back from the movies ( yeah on monday!!!) and dusted this 98 neon so bad. It felt so good! as you all know, there is nothing like that adrenaline shot. Well, wish me luck with that shit. OUT!

gibbons
09-10-2002, 04:27 AM
Solvents will ruin ruin the plastic. As far as sanding them off, figure out what your time is worth, and what you think they will look like when they are done. I have a set from my sedan I will sell you for $50. [email protected]

Mantis88LX
09-10-2002, 01:14 PM
use brake fluid to remove the paint, works great on all plastic parts, I know someone will same some shit like it will eat the plastic but nope it doesnt cuz i had to do this one time and it didnt do a damn thing to the plastic, so try that and see,

as for sanding it off, fuck that u will scratch it to hell and it will look gay. just use brake fluid

hope that helps ya man good luck

whiteboy
09-10-2002, 09:20 PM
hahahhaha
hey i sprayed over my reverse light with like 7 coats of candy apple, jstu take a RAZOR BLADE and scrape the paint off, get the razors that come with a little holder, and i mean a razor not like a box cutter, it'll take ya 10 mins

Jordan