PDA

View Full Version : AOM knobbyknees

2oodoor
05-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Is there a rule about AOM that applies to:
The validation of cars that are running, drivable units?
The validation of the date of photos submitted?
The validation that the owner actively participates or logs on with 3GEEZ.COM at least as recent as say... 12 months?

Just curious, I am not making any implications of any unfairness inside any particular choices. This is a random inquiry I have been putting off for a while.

I have however noticed a few nominations in recent history where it is obvious from photos the vehicle is not in running condition.

There may be a reason I suppose that these items do not raise concern but IMO it would be discouraging for a nominee who busted their ass putting together an ass busting Accord, or even a regular ass Accord...in as recentley as say... 12 months....get kicked to the curb by a car that potentially may not even exist anymore/never completed/has chickens living in it/belongs to an ex-wife etc...

ghettogeddy
05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
i think if someone is nominated that person needs to replay to there nomination for it to be valid lets say with in 2weeks of the nomination i see what roodoo2 is saying and its like nominating someone for president and they arent there to accept it u know

guaynabo89
05-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I guess tha really depends on individual cases.

I mean mine doesnt run about half of the year and sometimes most, and I usually dont post much except just recently cause of a physical condition.

the rules do say somethign about a runnig accord and such but its not exact in all cases.

MrBen
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
So did you read the rules? :) http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29680 While there is no restriction on the active posting status of said member, I don't think there necessarily needs to be one. Just because said person does not post often doesn't mean their car shouldn't be acknowledged. That's my opinion, though.

Validation of photo dates is tricky and not an undertaking I believe any of the staff wants to take on every month. I believe that our members who accept the AOM title do so with honesty. Finally, the rules do state that cars must be running at the time of nomination.

ghettogeddy
05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
think if someone is nominated that person needs to replay to there nomination for it to be valid

MessyHonda
05-01-2007, 09:27 PM
huh?

MrBen
05-01-2007, 10:07 PM
huh?

x2

Cheeseburger
05-01-2007, 10:36 PM
lol....

A18A
05-01-2007, 10:43 PM
i think he means if someone is nominated, the person thats nominated has to reply to the nomination to be valid??

AccordB20A
05-01-2007, 10:56 PM
why would this person complain about being the AOM?? lol i sure woodnt but my cars nowhere near that quality yet.. maybe ill get one month sometime in the next 5 years

2oodoor
05-02-2007, 04:05 AM
i think he means if someone is nominated, the person thats nominated has to reply to the nomination to be valid??
Bingo
Ghettogeddy gets it too. thank you.
P Whores+not a clue= MH and CB
Wohdog I think you misunderstood:) I'm not sure, maybe you jumped ahead but yes nobody would complain I reckon.

Guaynabo89 you have a valid point against my stated concern. A lot of us do have Works in Progress machines, and yes even though it ain't running at the nomintation time, I think it is still fair as long as the car was running at some point as it is. Example =B16 swap should have been completed and pictures should reflect that. Other wise I could drop a JY mustang drivetrain in a Accord hull, not even connect anything, take pictures...you know what I'm saying.
Yes I know a large number of awesome car builders/owners on the forum do not post regularly or even at all.
But, true that it is an acknowledgement thier car was in the hat for AOM would leave it up to the nominee's integrity to disclose their car is a chicken coupe now :banned: or they are 1,2,3geezers :rolleyes: with a car currently the subject of study.
Dating photos would be tough but there is a way.

87accordlxi
05-02-2007, 05:11 AM
So did you read the rules? :) http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29680 While there is no restriction on the active posting status of said member, I don't think there necessarily needs to be one. Just because said person does not post often doesn't mean their car shouldn't be acknowledged. That's my opinion, though.

Validation of photo dates is tricky and not an undertaking I believe any of the staff wants to take on every month. I believe that our members who accept the AOM title do so with honesty. Finally, the rules do state that cars must be running at the time of nomination.

Pretty much in line with my sentiments. I don't have the time or the inclination to go around making sure that every nominee is currently in running condition (and I won't even get into defining "running"). And before someone volunteers to save the day and help out, the answer is no. I don't want AOM to be some huge bureaucracy where we have staff doing criminal background checks on every nominee. If you know for a fact that a nominee is not CURRENTLY in running condition, then let staff know and only then will we look into it.

Personally, I'd like to go back to how it was before with looser rules, but so many people bitched and moaned about the cars being nominated not being up to some arbitrary standards (i.e., theirs) that we changed the rules a bit. I haven't seen any difference at all in the AOM winners from before the rule change compared to now.

And for fuck's sake, I am not dating photos for this.

2oodoor
05-02-2007, 07:05 AM
This was worthy of logical discussion until that last sentence.
It was not my intent to make things more difficult than they are for the Staff.
I was addressing the possibility of the perception of unequality.

MessyHonda
05-02-2007, 07:42 AM
well then Guy....dont vote for them if you think the car is running. dating pics is just weak....if the member is respected no one will question.

87accordlxi
05-02-2007, 07:55 AM
People here are moving away from the original intents of this board when it all began. I personally don't care if an AOM nominee currently owns their car. I don't care if that car is currently in one piece, or a million pieces. AOM to me is a way for people who know nothing about 3geez or these cars to look and see how much you can really do with them and how good they can look. To me it's all good exposure, and despite all of the piddling rules we add that shrink the pool of available vehicles to showcase, the quality of the WINNERS (aren't those the ones that count?) has not changed, for better or worse. All I care about is pasting a picture of a nice looking Accord on the front page for the world to see.

And I see absolutely no inequality in the process. I have consistently leaned toward being inclusive rather than exclusive in my interpretation of the rules, and every month those nominees are fairly voted on by all members. If one person wants to nominate a mediocre car that technically adheres to the rules, then a majority of the 3geez voting populace is going to have to agree with that person in order for that mediocre car to become AOM. So far that has not happened. In 3 years. And if it happens once, I am not rewriting the rules in a knee-jerk reaction.

AOM works. Plain and simple.

2oodoor
05-02-2007, 08:42 AM
All I care about is pasting a picture of a nice looking Accord on the front page for the world to see.

And I see absolutely no inequality in the process. I have consistently leaned toward being inclusive rather than exclusive in my interpretation of the rules, and every month those nominees are fairly voted on by all members. If one person wants to nominate a mediocre car that technically adheres to the rules, then a majority of the 3geez voting populace is going to have to agree with that person in order for that mediocre car to become AOM. So far that has not happened. In 3 years. And if it happens once, I am not rewriting the rules in a knee-jerk reaction.

Thank you, that was more of what I expected to hear.
And if you ever read any my posts you know I am not the kind to support knee jerk policy or bureaucratic mazes.

I agree about 97 percent to that philosophy 87accordlxi

The other 3 percent I can live with. I still stand by the last paragraph in the original thread post:)

But please make note this subject or thread does not serve me as an individual, Messy Honda Jesse. I posted it in the interest of everyone.

lostforawhile
06-09-2007, 08:34 AM
i wonder how difficult it would be to do a sub accord of the month project car? in addition to the aom? someone wanted to nominate me once,but it was rejected because i don't know why. my car is in running condition,it has a shitload of work in it,but all it's lacking right now is for me to finish the paint,and put the trim back on. i'm not trying to nominate myself,i think we could do something to acknowledge the people who are building serious projects too. and i don't mean people painting cars with preschool colors under the hood and basic bolt ons,i mean people who are making a real effort. i've seen a lot of them on here. maby this would encourage others to jump in and get creative. there are a lot of people out there also who are great designers and builders,we need to encourage them to get interested in three geez

2drSE-i
06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
i dont think thats a bad idea...but it may be alot of extra work for the mods

lostforawhile
06-09-2007, 09:45 AM
i dont think thats a bad idea...but it may be alot of extra work for the mods
well we could do it less often we could do it like a poll,have a thread for nominations,take the nominations for a certain amount of time,let people vote on a poll,then the nominees can be voted on/
if you start a thread for a poll,can you go back and change the poll question each month?

2oodoor
06-10-2007, 03:33 AM
There are alot of possibilities for getting recognition to those who are working hard and have some great ideas. But that is what the forum as a whole is about to begin with I thought. I posted this thread in the name of fairness to nominees, mainley because some of the pictures show the cars obviously incomplete, like half the ignition missing, engine missing mounts , primer spots, crap like that. But the Director makes a good point too, we strayed away from the original intended purpose of the AOM...somehow,yet I admit I do not 100 percent get that. Right now I think a guide to understanding the intent is constructing a calander