PDA

View Full Version : Can it be done legally and painlessly?

89_Accord_LX-i
05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I have an 89 Accord LX-i and I was wondering if it would be legal in California to put a H22A1 into it, and if it could be done somewhat painlessly?

painless being without cutting and major modifications.

I've seen threads of those who have done this swap and done some cutting but I was wonderingif it could be done this way?

Thanks for the help!

lostforawhile
05-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I have an 89 Accord LX-i and I was wondering if it would be legal in California to put a H22A1 into it, and if it could be done somewhat painlessly?
painless being without cutting and major modifications.
I've seen threads of those who have done this swap and done some cutting but I was wonderingif it could be done this way?
Thanks for the help!i'm not sure about putting it in,but i assume if the h22a has all it's original emissions equipment and computer etc. it would be legal. or carb approved parts for that engine. I was always under the impression later model engines were allowed in older cars,just not the other way around. it makes a good argument anyway that the later model engine would be cleaner anyway. you would have to use stock equipment including the converter or an equivilent replacment converter for that engine,up to the converter. i know in the smog areas in georgia you also have to make sure to install the check engine light if you don't have one,and the diagnostics port.

MECM
05-03-2007, 01:37 PM
No you'll need to definiteley cut and bend to have it fit. Its not a simple swap!

jschatte
05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
im wondering where you have seen threads (plural) with 3gee h22 swaps. as far as i know, there is only one guy that has done it, and he had to remove alot of the subframe and it cost him over 5000$ to get all of the swap done

89_Accord_LX-i
05-03-2007, 02:05 PM
ok, well, thanks for the quick responses. Looks like it's probably not worth it to swap the engines, maybe I'll just llok into swapping the auto transmission in the car for a manual transmission.

Thanks for the info!

jschatte
05-03-2007, 02:21 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102
here is some info on the swap
http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/clutchhowto.htm
and here is detailed instructions of taking the trans out

just if you wanted to know

MessyHonda
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
im wondering where you have seen threads (plural) with 3gee h22 swaps. as far as i know, there is only one guy that has done it, and he had to remove alot of the subframe and it cost him over 5000$ to get all of the swap done

well...i have seen 2 h22 swaps on 3geez....one dude from LA did it and Adam posted some pics of it but it looked like a mess with wires all over the place. and the guy you talk about is in canada...he has somewhat detailed pics and prices. he is a member here but he does not post that offten. the B-series is one of the easyer swap but custom mounts are mandatory. and even that would run you around 2-3k.

snoopyloopy
05-03-2007, 10:46 PM
easy and painlessly? no. smog/carb legal in cali? yes, as long as all the original equipment for the engine is hooked up properly. since the h22 didn't even come out 'til after 1989, you don't have to worry about the older engine/newer car issue.