PDA

View Full Version : Planning for the next stage of death

w261w261
05-04-2007, 06:34 AM
In another thread, I commented on the general lack of 3G around, at least here in SW Connecticut. Seems like they're still in good numbers in CA, at least.

But unless you're an enthusiast keeping one up, eventually, all the beaters will die. Already, most of the 4G don't look so hot (why Honda can't get the rust thing under control as the Europeans did 25 years ago is a blemish on them), and so I think we should start to think about what's going to happen when Mother Honda stops with the parts. For a preview, look at the 2G..I guess there's virtually nothing available OEM now.

For awhile, the yards will provide spares, but that's really dependent on scrap prices. When prices are up, bye-bye.

Typically, for collector cars, when OEM makers stop, the few remaining NOS parts increase in value until it becomes economically feasible for someone to build a new piece. In our case, I'm not sure anyone is going to do that, because the cars aren't that collectible. I'm not going to count on it.

So the question becomes, are there any parts, now available from Honda, that an (intended) long-term owner should lay in? Ones that aren't available as replacements in the aftermarket. I can think of one...a couple of the little coolant hoses that go to the fast idle valve, etc. They're odd sizes, and have the curves built in. Might be very hard to duplicate if Honda didn't offer them.

Anyone think of any others?

MessyHonda
05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
they cut off parts so people buy new cars. it does get sad when i go to the junkyard and see like 12 3geez when half of them dont look so bad

LX-incredible
05-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Ignition and combo switch. Power mirrors, taillights. Weather stripping and rubber mouldings. Most of which I have. There is already a few mouldings that are no longer available from honda and most of the j/y ones are rotted here. Here is a list of what I found to be discontinued:

61211-SE0-A00 COWL, TOP 1 $99.42 $99.42
73162-SE0-A01 MOLDING, L. FR. 1 $62.80 $62.80
72430-SE0-A02 GARN, R. DOOR SASH 1 $49.72
73840-SE0-A01 GARNISH, R. 1 $20.27
73890-SE0-A01 GARNISH, L. 1 $19.96
73820-SG7-003 GARN, R. RR. PILLAR 1 $87.29
74316-SG7-A00ZD MOLDING, L. *YR59M*1 $15.40
75551-SB2-013 HOLDER 4 $1.83 $7.32

Most of these are only needed because of the rubber and of course honda doesn't sell the rubber insert separately. If anyone has some of these parts in good condition, let me know.

2oodoor
05-04-2007, 09:57 AM
So the question becomes, are there any parts, now available from Honda, that an (intended) long-term owner should lay in? Ones that aren't available as replacements in the aftermarket. I can think of one...a couple of the little coolant hoses that go to the fast idle valve, etc. They're odd sizes, and have the curves built in. Might be very hard to duplicate if Honda didn't offer them.
Anyone think of any others?
I can think of fifty or so but when do you decide what you want to get from JY, aftermarket, or dealership?
I prefer OEM gaskets, electronics.-dealership
body parts and trim-Used/junkyard
internal engine - all three
brakes- aftermarket
cooling- aftermarket
transmission- Junkyard

LiTtLe xOx BitT
05-04-2007, 10:21 AM
When parts are no longer available its time to modify/customize and make your own parts.

Vanilla Sky
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
You guys need to remember that the parts stores aren't dropping our cars. If anything, the availability to parts has increased, and the prices have dropped.

Sure, if you're restoring one of these to factory condition in 15-20 years, then you might consider stashing the best parts you can find right now. Otherwise, just do what every other car enthusiast has in the past; learn how to make stuff on your own.