My modified konis
Revalved
shortened
double adj.
and now yellow

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6192/pic185tj7.jpg

frantik
05-04-2007, 04:29 PM
:bow: i been thinking i wanna do that but i think i should wait till i get some rears first :crying: how much did it run you to get them modded?

88LXi68
05-04-2007, 04:35 PM
how much did it run you to get them modded?

An arm, leg, kidney and testicle. Seriously...they were a lot more expensive than I originally budgeted for. I found out that DOUBLE ADJ. adds A LOT to the price. If you just get single adj, shortened and revalved your looking at 500/pair

2ndGenGuy
05-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Whoo wee! That's a little spendy. But you do have the best shocks you can get! So, I assume that double adjustable means that when you turn the knob, it adjusts rebound and compression at the same time? Or are they independant?

88LXi68
05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Whoo wee! That's a little spendy. But you do have the best shocks you can get! So, I assume that double adjustable means that when you turn the knob, it adjusts rebound and compression at the same time? Or are they independant?

Independant. adjustment on top and then the knobs at the bottom (havent read the directions yet to figure out which one is which). Im guessing top is rebound and bottom is compression.

frantik
05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
the double adjustability probably is so much cause they're originally only single adjustable

still though it's worth it im sure.. thats the only complaint i have about the konis is the rebound or whatever the upward movement is isn't controlled as much as it should be so it'd be nice to be able to adjust it

edit: wait, are they externally adjustable on the top? if not then $500 for just shortening and revalving is pretty high

guaynabo89
05-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Independant. adjustment on top and then the knobs at the bottom (havent read the directions yet to figure out which one is which). Im guessing top is rebound and bottom is compression.

yup

top reound bottom compression.

welcome to the koni yellow club. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/DSC00023.jpg

I didnt have the dough for the double adjustable though. You baller you! lol

Oh and I see youve done the pinchfork mod.

Civic Accord Honda
05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
thay look good but i would not pay $500 for a pair of shocks

guaynabo89
05-04-2007, 05:28 PM
he did not pay 500 only for a pair of shocks!

first off he paid whatever the cost was for the original koni reds + more than a grand to have all four struts shortened, revalved. and made exernally double adjustable. I know cause I did the same thing. And in the end its worth it.

88LXi68
05-04-2007, 05:43 PM
I didnt have the dough for the double adjustable though. You baller you! lol

neither did I!! lol

thay look good but i would not pay $500 for a pair of shocks

If you are not dedicated to your car then I would agree with you, but this is not my daily driver and I plan on having this car for a long time.

Civic Accord Honda
05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
i like my car but that money can go to something more usefull

MessyHonda
05-04-2007, 10:24 PM
first of all they look good. and congrats...i know they are not cheap but it should be worth it. what type of springs are you going to run on them?

suspension is very useful when you got a quick car.

86AccordLxi
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Um, riiiight. Suspension is the most useful thing. The most money should be spent there.

Alex

frantik
05-04-2007, 10:36 PM
a truely quality suspension is priceless :)

snoopyloopy
05-04-2007, 10:56 PM
such as...?

Legend_master
05-04-2007, 11:19 PM
My modified konis
Revalved
shortened
double adj.
and now yellow

Very nice :thumbup: , what springs will you be running with those?

88LXi68
05-05-2007, 04:26 AM
thanks for all the comments guys!

I am running ground controls w/ stiffer springs (stiffer than the original Accord kit)

RobT5580
05-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Cars car an expensive hobby and unfortunately there are only a handful here that can afford/or have the motivation to go the extra mile and congrats 88LXI68 for doing this. One thing iv learned from the thousands of dollars that iv put in my car is you get what you pay for and i have yet to find otherwise in this business.

Hats off and i cant wait to see how the ride on the GC's because i need to do something with mine since the B20A makes my front end sit higher.

Nice work!

thegreatdane
05-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Very very nice! And poor wallet of yours lol
Looks like they made entirely new shock bodies, no wonder it's pricey.
Dit you get them done by Koni North America?

bullard123
05-05-2007, 07:11 AM
he did not pay 500 only for a pair of shocks!
first off he paid whatever the cost was for the original koni reds + more than a grand to have all four struts shortened, revalved. and made exernally double adjustable. I know cause I did the same thing. And in the end its worth it.
Wow man! That is a lil pricey!

guaynabo89
05-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Wow man! That is a lil pricey!
well compared to the standard koni reds its a world of difference.
it would be like going from blown struts to koni reds at full stiff. which by the way feels great! :D
short of paying like 2500-3000 for fully custom coilovers its the best there is.

frantik
05-05-2007, 01:35 PM
short of paying like 2500-3000 for fully custom coilovers its the best there is.
thats actually something i've been wondering.. do you guys think the koni yellow setup is better than Legend Master's new DK2 coilover set up? cause he said paid about $1000 for shocks and springs which is a lot cheaper than a set of koni reds + modding + springs, not to mention actually available :)

Legend_master
05-05-2007, 01:52 PM
well compared to the standard koni reds its a world of difference.
it would be like going from blown struts to kono reds at full stiff. which by the way feels great! :D

If your paying 2500-3000 for custom coilovers you could just do my coilover mod and buy the kits from tein or whoever you would like. I mean $3000 will buy two coilover kits from almost any company. Or even pay the $1000, for the kit I am running.

Edit: frantik beat me to it

frantik
05-05-2007, 02:32 PM
do you all reckon legend's setup is comparable to the koni yellow setup? cause i need a better solution for my back end dammit :rant:

bullard123
05-05-2007, 05:20 PM
That price is more than the mugen suspension setup also I think. But hey Konis are a really good quality strut. So I guess he'll be happy with his ride quality

guaynabo89
05-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I have no idea.

Legend i thought you paid like 1200 for those.

IVe always wanted to make my konis into a coilover setup. Which I might do anyway if spare time and money comes up. When I said 2500 I mean specificly made for the 3rd gen. Correct height and all. Teins programs been advertised for 2 years and from whats been posted lately they still have not started it.

Steve already has groundcontrols with custom spring rates so Im pretty sure that was the best choice for him.

EricW
05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Nice parts. I'm probably going to look into doing this with my reds in the future, or a full coilover set up.

Legend_master
05-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I have no idea.
Legend i thought you paid like 1200 for those.
IVe always wanted to make my konis into a coilover setup. Which I might do anyway if spare time and money comes up. When I said 2500 I mean specificly made for the 3rd gen. Correct height and all. Teins programs been advertised for 2 years and from whats been posted lately they still have not started it.
Steve already has groundcontrols with custom spring rates so Im pretty sure that was the best choice for him.

Nope $250 a corner and 32 bucks for shipping. I definitely think Steve's decision was good on those koni's, but I was jsut commenting on your 2500-3000 comment. Sorry for the thread jack :bandance: .

Civic Accord Honda
05-05-2007, 08:39 PM
i am saying arent the koni reds good enuf for a stock honda?

frantik
05-05-2007, 10:48 PM
koni reds offer a great ride, but they can still be improved :)

if you get your car lowered, it's helpful to have them shortened, and it's a pain in the ass to have to remove them from the car to adjust them. also the rebound could be better so revalving them and/or adding the 2nd way external adjustability is useful

you dont just get koni yellows cause you need some shocks.. you get them when you want to fine tune the suspension as much as possible.

speedpenguin
05-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Konis are the holy grail of 3Geez suspension mods. Congratulations!

Civic Accord Honda
05-06-2007, 12:23 PM
why pay so much moding them when u can just buy the koni yellows for cheaper http://www3.shopping.com/xGS-Koni_Yellow~NS-1~linkin_id-8008971

Pico
05-06-2007, 12:29 PM
why pay so much moding them when u can just buy the koni yellows for cheaper http://www3.shopping.com/xGS-Koni_Yellow~NS-1~linkin_id-8008971
because these have been revalved and shortned to match his suspension

ghettogeddy
05-06-2007, 12:33 PM
cause koni dosent make struts for us anymore

Civic Accord Honda
05-06-2007, 12:33 PM
oh cant u just cut them with a sawzall or something ?

Civic Accord Honda
05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
cause koni dosent make struts for us anymore
:( damn 3gee loseing all its after market shit

ghettogeddy
05-06-2007, 12:35 PM
:( damn 3gee loseing all its after market shit
they lost those years ago
were have u been lol

Civic Accord Honda
05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
umm ok i guse there worth it but i do think the company that dose the work is over priceing

Cheeseburger
05-06-2007, 12:57 PM
they lost those years ago
were have u been lol

lol....

Blizzard
05-06-2007, 12:57 PM

:(

No no no cah.
You dont just hack up shocks with a sawzall.

MessyHonda
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
yup adjustable konis are the shit....my friend has them on his mustang. and we did a firm test and a soft one and it was instant difference.

Chef Boyardee
05-06-2007, 10:54 PM

Wow, thats one of the single dumbest things I've seen someone say on here. I hope you weren't serious.

Suspension and brakes are two of the most key aspects of any car as far as aftermarket parts go CAH, they're the last things you'd want to skimp on.

Would you buy a fishnet condom just because its cheaper? I don't think so.

epic1400cs
05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
umm ok i guse there worth it but i do think the company that dose the work is over priceing

The question will be, then who can do it cheaper?
Can you do it cheaper?

I agree with you, this mod is not cheap but most of us can't do it ourselves so we need to ask somebody who have skill, knowledge and equipment - as simple as this.
I believe all these works are carreid out by those skilled engineer - opposed to the belt comvayer kind of mass production.
Thats why they are not cheap.

On the other hand, if you buy some tools, lathe to produce the components, all the sims, welding machine, powder coating facility, skills and expertees then you can do it for free.
I have done changing oil of a couple of Kayaba shock in the past and this kind of thing is possible for everyone.

I had a friend who said to me that brand new Subaru Impressa is cheap - because he can't "make it" for the price we pay to buy. He was metal machinist by the way.

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2007, 12:58 AM
yeah thay probley worth it for a modded engine but why have great susp when your car is stock engine?

Chef Boyardee
05-07-2007, 01:45 AM
yeah thay probley worth it for a modded engine but why have great susp when your car is stock engine?

Are you retarded? Even if you have a stock engine, being able to carry more speed through a corner with a stiffer suspension will still make him faster than your car, even if they both have the exact same stock engine.

Point being: even if you're the same in a straight line, he's still going to walk you completely as soon as you hit a corner. If he can maintain better traction through the corner, he can corner at higher speeds. Good lord :rant:

frantik
05-07-2007, 02:03 AM
lol.. cah just get your car's stock suspension repaired and you'll notice a big difference.. then imagine what spending 20x that will get you

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Are you retarded? Even if you have a stock engine, being able to carry more speed through a corner with a stiffer suspension will still make him faster than your car, even if they both have the exact same stock engine.

Point being: even if you're the same in a straight line, he's still going to walk you completely as soon as you hit a corner. If he can maintain better traction through the corner, he can corner at higher speeds. Good lord :rant:
but i am saying is non modded after market susp should be fine for 98-120HP

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2007, 02:37 AM
lol.. cah just get your car's stock suspension repaired and you'll notice a big difference.. then imagine what spending 20x that will get you ithe car i am geting has good susp :D he might keep the struts and some stuff tho :( if he dose i well save up and get some koni blues:D but it well have to use my old struts untel then :(

frantik
05-07-2007, 02:44 AM

forget about the engine power.. not every turn you take is going to be at full throttle.. but yes, most people would be more than happy running non modded konis. :) then there are those who want absolute perfection :D

MessyHonda
05-07-2007, 07:36 AM
too bad he does not have a stock engine he has a b-series swap.....

Chef Boyardee
05-07-2007, 09:46 AM

You retain knowledge like a 2 year old. :bandance:

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
too bad he does not have a stock engine he has a b-series swap.....
he dose oh then its nworth it

speedpenguin
05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Even with 98HP, there are still turns that you can't take at full throttle with a basic aftermarket suspension. If you're building a car for cornering, the suspension comes first. Don't talk shit about what's "worth it" just because you prefer acceleration to handling. The way you talk makes me fairly confident I could take you on in my 70HP 4-speed Civic.

epic1400cs
05-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I slightly feel this discussion seems to be pointless.
If someone thinks McDonalds Cheese Burger is the best meal, then that is true to the person who think so.
There is no point to recommend full course meal cooked by experienced chef that cost fortune because that is not what the person want.
Reverse is true, too.
It is not good or bad, its about just different idea of value.

I don't think CAH need fully modified KONI because he doesn't feel nessecity of it for his driving style.
Some people thinks its worth paying a lot money for KONI because they need it for their high speed cornering.
Yes, the modified KONI is expensive and only limited people can get it but unfortunately that is what it is.

ZackieDarko
05-07-2007, 02:31 PM
16 year olds with out a drivers license shouldn't be talking about performance suspensions

MessyHonda
05-07-2007, 02:33 PM
16 year olds with out a drivers license shouldn't be talking about performance suspensions

:cheers:

guaynabo89
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
i well save up and get some koni blues:D

CAH........ I think you are a litle confused. Koni never made blues:rolleyes: you are thinking of tokico. You need to go to the suspension secion and read all the stickys at the top.

back to the topic.

STEVE!

man im jelous! I wish I had enough money for the compression adjustable.:(

How did you have em revalved? I know when i spoke to someone there they gave me a couple of options like all out race or weekend warior duty or just street.

I picked weekend warrior duty :D

87lxiaccord
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
lol money well spent!

russiankid
05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
:thumbdn: ( have license though)

Anyways i hope you get what you pay for. That does sound pricey.

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2007, 08:34 PM
:rant: i am 17 :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Chef Boyardee
05-07-2007, 08:35 PM
:rant: i am 17 :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Stupidity knows no age.

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2007, 08:42 PM
still im just saying i would not spend that much in too susp in my car now if i had a car in good cond. and had a very very good job then id get them too

Chef Boyardee
05-07-2007, 09:08 PM
still im just saying i would not spend that much in too susp in my car now if i had a car in good cond. and had a very very good job then id get them too

Even so, as far as suspensions go thats still not alot of money.

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Even so, as far as suspensions go thats still not alot of money.
it is to me my whole famley (mom, step dad,me,sister) dose not even make that much a month.. and it would not be worth it to my car becuz it has a bent frame and well most likey trash the struts anyway
but if i had a nice car and had the funds then hell yueah id get them :rockon:
and the speed limits are set for cars with stock susp anyway ;) lol

Chef Boyardee
05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
it is to me my whole famley (mom, step dad,me,sister) dose not even make that much a month.. and it would not be worth it to my car becuz it has a bent frame and well most likey trash the struts anyway
but if i had a nice car and had the funds then hell yueah id get them :rockon:
and the speed limits are set for cars with stock susp anyway ;) lol

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever, on any plain of natural thinking. The bolded part, that is. What does a suspension have to do with speed limits? Say the speed limits 45 mph on a curvy back road, would you rather slow down to 25 mph to take the turn, or be able to take it at 45 no problem? Just because you're going fast through a turn doesn't mean you're doing any speeding.

Learn before responding, because right now, you have the credibility of an info-mercial.

Civic Accord Honda
05-07-2007, 09:30 PM
That makes absolutely no sense what so ever, on any plain of natural thinking. The bolded part, that is. What does a suspension have to do with speed limits? Say the speed limits 45 mph on a curvy back road, would you rather slow down to 25 mph to take the turn, or be able to take it at 45 no problem? Just because you're going fast through a turn doesn't mean you're doing any speeding.

Learn before responding, because right now, you have the credibility of an info-mercial. on roads with curvey roads the put up signs saying to slow down to like 20-25MPH

Chef Boyardee
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
on roads with curvey roads the put up signs saying to slow down to like 20-25MPH

Yeah, for that specific corner. How many cops with radar guns sit on random turns in the woods waiting for people with their koni yellows to speed on by? None.

frantik
05-07-2007, 09:33 PM
lol enuff!! :rant:

nice shocks once again dude:bow: cant wait to see em on the car and get some reviews :thumbup:

Chef Boyardee
05-07-2007, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=frantik]lol enuff!! :rant:
QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry for kind of thread jacking, I couldn't help myself.

Blizzard
05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.smileysracing.com/cat/view_pg.php?pKey=977634&sKey=54343f35e532b4dba411f580096e37d1&pgID=1337

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/827,867_Penske-Adjustable-7500-Series-Shock.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/826,867_Penske-Double-Adjustable-Shock.html

http://www.resuspension.com/LMJ-Dirt-Model-Shock-p-15225.html

http://www.resuspension.com/MCJ-Stock-car-Modified-shock-p-15218.html

http://www.resuspension.com/SHOCK-8760-SEREIS-TRPL-ADJ-p-15194.html

Granted, these are racing shocks. Gives you an idea though of how important shocks are.

Dose 500 a pair still sound over priced?

All these are per shock by the way.