PDA

View Full Version : Brake Booster

HondaBoy
05-07-2007, 02:00 AM
my brake booster is going bad and is leaking not letting full vacuum take effect. i was wondering if there are other cars with a brake booster that can be swapped onto my 3gee. i can probably find one off an accord, i dunno if there are other ones that are more efficent that i can use or not. anyways, i need one because its making my car run like crap and i dont want to take the vacuum line off because it really sucks without it. i'm probably going to get one from a junk yard thats why i'm wondering.

does it matter if the booster is from an SE-i, since i have the rear disk brake conversion?

night
05-07-2007, 06:27 AM
needs to be an 88-89 LXi i believe.
i dont know all the little things on these cars but i know the LXi/SEi master cylinder only goes in that booster. i dont know if the dx booster is the same, even with the different size master cylinder.

and you may need a master cylinder. the only way a booster goes bad is if the cylinder is leaking brake fuid out the back.

HondaBoy
05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
ok. well i have the LX master cylinder and booster right now.

HondaBoy
05-24-2007, 03:11 PM
so my brake booster has since gotten worse. i may be replacing it within this week or so. looks pretty easy to take off and install a new one. $72.99 is what i found at Pepboy's, that was a lot cheaper than any other of the parts stores by far. i could get one from the junk yard for about $30, but i'd rather get a new one with a lifetime warranty. is there anything that can make removing the 4 bolts holding it to the fire wall easier? 3 are going to be easy to get to, one is behind the steering column. i can fit a wrench back there but its a pain to get to. i wonder if this bad brake booster has in any way contributed to my carburetor failing and needing another rebuild? could just be shit luck.

HondaBoy
06-27-2007, 11:55 AM
yeah, so got a brake booster at Pepboy's. went for $72.99, that was the cheapest i could find. lifetime warranty. it was pretty easy to take off and put the new one on. had to bleed the brakes out due to needing to remove the master cylinder to make room. another problem solved.

2oodoor
06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
that was funny you had two diff problems that turned out to be the same thing. good to hear you got it purring again.

HondaBoy
06-27-2007, 12:17 PM
well they created the same problem, more or less. brake booster created a lumpy idle that soon was making the car not want to stay running. the carb, it just loves to flood when the vacuum isnt a consistant amount i guess.

Oldblueaccord
06-27-2007, 12:32 PM
WOW

I would have never thought about that that s a good tip esp. for you carb guys.

wp

2oodoor
06-29-2007, 08:02 AM
WOW
I would have never thought about that that s a good tip esp. for you carb guys.
wp
good thing to know on FI cars as well, you can really chase ghosts around on idle air control, intermidant idle problems..
running problems too if you use MAP instead of MAF on whatever car