PDA

View Full Version : HELP! '89 LX-i smoked and died

dworakj
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone and thanks for the help in advance. I was driving in front of my friend (Who was driving my accord) When I look in the mirror and see white smoke coming out near the exhaust. He says he heard a slight noise, something that isn't normal, then lost all acceleration over 40mph. He pulled over right away, turned the car off, and I look underneath the hood to see (what I think) is oil splattered on the right (towards the rear of the car) under the hood. So of course I try to start the car again and I get nothing but more white smoke, the engine still turns over but it doesn't even begin to start, only a couple of put-puts and then nothing.

It still cranks, which I assume is a good thing, as I am not the most gearheaded person on earth.

We were going up and down hills near Galena IL, left alone by glaciers, and I am assuming he was probably in the OD passing gear because we were going about 70 mph and we were going uphill. Any help would be appreciated. A couple of the guys I know suggested a head gasket. If this is true how much does it cost and how long will it take. Any other ideas. Searched the forums and got frustrated so I started a new thread

forrest89sei
05-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Hello everyone and thanks for the help in advance. I was driving in front of my friend (Who was driving my accord) When I look in the mirror and see white smoke coming out near the exhaust. He says he heard a slight noise, something that isn't normal, then lost all acceleration over 40mph. He pulled over right away, turned the car off, and I look underneath the hood to see (what I think) is oil splattered on the right (towards the rear of the car) under the hood. So of course I try to start the car again and I get nothing but more white smoke, the engine still turns over but it doesn't even begin to start, only a couple of put-puts and then nothing.

It still cranks, which I assume is a good thing, as I am not the most gearheaded person on earth.

We were going up and down hills near Galena IL, left alone by glaciers, and I am assuming he was probably in the OD passing gear because we were going about 70 mph and we were going uphill. Any help would be appreciated. A couple of the guys I know suggested a head gasket. If this is true how much does it cost and how long will it take. Any other ideas. Searched the forums and got frustrated so I started a new thread

Well it sounds like it could be a head gasket, one way to verify that is to check the oil and look for coolant in it, thats the sure sign than you have a blown Head Gasket.

As for repair cost it can range from $300-600 it all depends on who you go to.

if your taking it to a non-Honda dealer, make sure to order a OEM Honda Head Gasket, they tend to last longer and there is nothing wrong with installing OEM Parts on a 18 year old car.

Good Luck!

Forrest