PDA

View Full Version : It's hot and my Ac is broken....

alanizgod
05-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I had a major problem with my AC that made my car idle like mad. I had to pull over because I didn't know what the hell was going on and shut my car off. I turned it back on, checked the engine and I guess the AC was kind of smoking a little bit. I cut the belt to it and then the car started up fine. I want to fix it because this weather is killing me but I have no idea where to start. Any help?

Pico
05-08-2007, 05:49 PM
replace the compressor..sounds like the a/c clutch locked up or the compressor siezed

russiankid
05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
replace the compressor..sounds like the a/c clutch locked up or the compressor siezed
I agree. If he saw smoke then the compressor must be seized which caused the belt to slip and start to burn.

LX-incredible
05-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Can you turn the center piece (end) of the compressor by hand? If not your compressor locked up, time for a new one. If the clutch is oil soaked it will slip and cause some smoke when engaged. With the engine and AC off, spin the outer part of the clutch by hand. It should spin free and not bind at all. I don't know about the kehin, but the denso clutch bearing is attached to the compressor housing instead of the shaft. If it binds, replace the bearing. A slight dragging on the center piece will require several washers, ground to the correct thickness, placed under the inner part of the clutch.

stereo
05-08-2007, 08:57 PM
sounds like the compressor is frozen I would goess it's a Kehin compressor they are famous for locking up and leaking the bad news is your going to need to flush the system out as most likely metal parts of the compressor is floating around in the system.

alanizgod
05-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the help guys...I'll take all that into consideration.