PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Needle

Hans
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
When ever I accelerate, the speedometer needle shakes up and down as it's going up. The needle still accurately indicates my speed, but it just shakes under acceleration. Anything that I can do to fix it?

2ndGenGuy
05-11-2007, 09:52 AM
A new speedometer cable might help. If you replace it, and it still shakes, I think you'd have to have the speedometer rebuilt. Get an OEM cable though. I picked up a cable at the auto parts store, and while it fit, it was about 2 feet too long and wound up binding up and it was awful.

2oodoor
05-11-2007, 10:22 AM
I have cured those by greasing the cable at the end(s)
Otherwise this is a charactoristc of these cars to an extent

DBMaster
05-11-2007, 11:57 AM
One thing you can try that might work for a little while is to pull the inner cable (has to be pulled from the transmission end) and lube it with white lithium grease. That worked for me for a couple of years. Eventually I just replaced the whole cable.

Hans
05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Okay thanks. Ill try greasing the end and if that doesn't work I'll prob just leave it cause it's more of a small annoyance rather than a big problem.

DBMaster
05-11-2007, 02:06 PM
You actually pull the entire inner cable out from the transmission end and grease it down the entire length. Now that I recall, mine was actually noisy on cold days. The bouncing needle may be caused by wear on the inside of the cable jacket so your only option may be to replace it. I got mine for about $35 at hondaautomotiveparts.com.

backhatcher
05-11-2007, 02:30 PM
mine makes a clicking noise in the dash and its about 10 kms faster than the car is going

backhatcher
05-11-2007, 02:31 PM
it also shakes

Legend_master
05-11-2007, 04:25 PM
You actually pull the entire inner cable out from the transmission end and grease it down the entire length. Now that I recall, mine was actually noisy on cold days. The bouncing needle may be caused by wear on the inside of the cable jacket so your only option may be to replace it. I got mine for about $35 at hondaautomotiveparts.com.

Mine does the same thing, DBMaster hit the hammer on the nail. You have to grease the entire cable. I believe there is some kinds of cover you have to remove as well :thumbup: .