PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with A/C compressor.

Reptile
05-11-2007, 09:32 AM
I am trying to get the A/C fixed in my 1987 Honda Accord LX-i and the mechanic said that they were trying to test it and there was no power going to the compressor. He did not have time to get into it and figure out what it was but he did say it was not anything simple.

It was not that he knew the compressor was shot or anything, there is no juice getting to it just to test it out.

Any ideas here?

And just to head off any of the ego stroking “I don’t need A/C” posts, many of you know I have a chronic heart condition and having working A/C in my vehicles is as important as taking my daily medication, especially in a 2500 lb death machine traveling at 70 miles per hour. Getting over heated and blacking out in that kind of situation is less than optimal.

stereo
05-11-2007, 11:24 PM
He did not have time to get into it and figure out what it was but he did say it was not anything simple.

how does he know it's nothing simple without actually checking? if he unsure you might want to try a diffrent mechanic first off is there any freon in the system as if it's low the pressure switch will prevent the compressor from coming on if the fans come on and the compressor does then it could be a fuse, relay ,a/c switch. it's best to start with the basics any specalty shop that know hondas can find the problem in less then a hour because they are simple systems provided someone didn't jack with the wireing!

Pico
05-12-2007, 08:14 AM
how does he know it's nothing simple without actually checking? if he unsure you might want to try a diffrent mechanic first off is there any freon in the system as if it's low the pressure switch will prevent the compressor from coming on if the fans come on and the compressor does then it could be a fuse, relay ,a/c switch. it's best to start with the basics any specalty shop that know hondas can find the problem in less then a hour because they are simple systems provided someone didn't jack with the wireing!
I agree on what stereo is saying, my acura had the same problem with the a/c not coming on after a quick check of the relays it turned out to be very low on freon, after a recharge I've had no problems at all.

Reptile
05-13-2007, 08:27 AM
It has a partial Freon charge in the system because he was trying to see if it would hold a charge so I could have it charged. It could be that there is not enough in the system and that is preventing it from working. I will pass this info onto my mechanic when I finish figuring out why the ****ing thing wont stop and fix that. Brakes first, then A/C, then the suspension. After that Restoration and customization! W00T!

Blkblurr
05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
You need to jump the high pressure switch in order to get the compressor running so that you can charge it with freon. Once you get the pressure up a little the compressor will keep running on it's own with the jumper removed.

stereo
05-15-2007, 09:03 PM
It has a partial Freon charge in the system because he was trying to see if it would hold a charge so I could have it charged. It could be that there is not enough in the system and that is preventing it from working. I will pass this info onto my mechanic when I finish figuring out why the ****ing thing wont stop and fix that. Brakes first, then A/C, then the suspension. After that Restoration and customization! W00T!
no offense, but if you have tell him how to fix your car you might as well do the job yourself and pocket the money! if the compressor is comming on. the pressures can be checked to see if freon is low and with gauges it shows how the system is doing like low pressure ,bad expansion valve , or compressor.