PDA

View Full Version : Gauges dont work part2

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 06:59 AM
I want to get my gauges to work properly and i need to know what to do, how to do it, what i need to do it. My temp and gas gauge dont work, for the gas gauge to be fixed i have to change the sensor in the tank right? for the temp gauge i think i unplugged the temp sending unit behind the carb. Please help with info.

LX-incredible
05-14-2007, 10:25 AM
What's wrong with the fuel guage, does it stay at F? For the temp guage, clean the connection on the sending unit.

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
The fuel gauge works but its off, and my gas light wont come off when i have liek 5 gal. left in the tank. My temp gauge wont work at all it just stays passed C. Where are the wires for the temp gauge?

LX-incredible
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM
The temp gauge wire goes to the sending unit. The temp and fuel gauges share a positive and a ground, but I don't think they are the problem. What do you mean by the fuel gauge being "off"? Most automobile manufactures will purposely make the gauge read empty when the tank is down to 1/4. This keeps idiots from running the tank near dry all the time and overheating the fuel pump. Running the tank empty will not save anything, you still get the same MPG, it will only shorten the life of the fuel pump. Now if the gauge was reading too high there is a problem.

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Well sometimes when im low on gas it goes passed the red line or when i fill up like 8 gal or so it goes to the F when its not full. Where are the wires for the temp gauge sending unit, the one that goes to the gauge.

LX-incredible
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
There is no temp sending unit for the gauge in any of the chilton wiring diagrams. On my LXi it is a yellow wire with a green stripe, covered by a black sheath. I wouldn't think the coloring would be different on a carbed model.

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
There is no temp sending unit for the gauge in any of the chilton wiring diagrams. On my LXi it is a yellow wire with a green stripe, covered by a black sheath. I wouldn't think the coloring would be different on a carbed model.
So how can i fix my gauge?

LX-incredible
05-14-2007, 01:35 PM
:slap: Check the wiring.

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 02:31 PM
:slap: Check the wiring.
lol where is the wiring?

LX-incredible
05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
First make sure that it's connected to the temp sending unit and it's connection is clean and dry. The wire connected to it should be yellow with a green stripe, make sure it is sound. It connects to the cluster using the top terminal of the large connector on the driver's side. On Denso clusters the terminal is marked T U.

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 03:00 PM
First make sure that it's connected to the temp sending unit and it's connection is clean and dry. The wire connected to it should be yellow with a green stripe, make sure it is sound. It connects to the cluster using the top terminal of the large connector on the driver's side. On Denso clusters the terminal is marked T U.
ok but where is it? the manual doesnt tell you that well it just shows where it us but it seems to be behind the carb somewhere by the firewall, im sure i would need to remove the air box. Also i had my timing done when i changed my timing belt, you think the rough idle could be something else or your sure its my timing?

russiankid
05-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Easiest way is to get under the car and look for it.

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Easiest way is to get under the car and look for it.
You cant see anything from under the car, ima just take off the air box and snap a few pics.

lostforawhile
05-14-2007, 05:37 PM
the temp sender is on the back side of the manifold right near to where the two vaccume switches are screwed into it. it will have one wire going to it. is there anything else not working? if your fuel and temp don't work,your tach doesn't work,and most of your idiot lights don't work, you have blown your backup light fuse. don't ask,i don't know why it's wired that way,but it is. it's in the fuse box under the dash.

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 05:40 PM
the temp sender is on the back side of the manifold right near to where the two vaccume switches are screwed into it. it will have one wire going to it. is there anything else not working? if your fuel and temp don't work,your tach doesn't work,and most of your idiot lights don't work, you have blown your backup light fuse. don't ask,i don't know why it's wired that way,but it is. it's in the fuse box under the dash.
Whoa only my temp gauge isnt working and the fuel gauge is a lil off, everything else is fine. Now is the temp sender like inside and under all the vacuum lines or will it be sticking out?

lostforawhile
05-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Whoa only my temp gauge isnt working and the fuel gauge is a lil off, everything else is fine. Now is the temp sender like inside and under all the vacuum lines or will it be sticking out?
it's screwed into the back of the manifold itself,it's the smallest thing screwed into the backside of the actual manifold. it might be eaisier to get to from underneath. it reads the temp off of the water going through the manifold.

lostforawhile
05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
oh,due to the shape of the tank,your gas gauge is probably fine,it doesn't read linear,no gas gauge does,unless you had a box shaped tank, it's reading only part of the tank. it takes a lot longer to go from a completly full tank to half a tank,then it does from half a tank to empty. if it doesn't go all the way past full with a full tank,your sender is off. also check to make sure the tank ground strap is attached,it will make your gauge off if the strap is corroded or missing.

ahmad89
05-14-2007, 06:51 PM
aww crap from what i remember theres a lot of hoses and crap behind the engine, Oh i forgot to mention, when i was unplugging and plugging the hoses, i found that one hose split like someone cut it, its the hoses thats right under and behind the carb, it seems to have another tube inside it. Also on the back by the firewall area on driver side, theres this T connection or something that broke from the part that connects to the engine or whatever. I'll take pics maybe this weekend cause im busy this week and weekend.