PDA

View Full Version : Sheared Bolt

mcfly
05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I was changing the shocks and prings in my 3g hatch and encountered a problem.

the grade 10 bolt that goes through the shock sheared right off at the head.
There is still a threaded nut on the other side and that thing wont budge and it doesn't appear to have a weld on it either.

Now how am i supposed to take it out?

86AccordLxi
05-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Did you try soaking it all in PB blaster or something equivalent?

Alex

LX-incredible
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
The bolt is rust-welded to the inner shell of the bushing. As mentioned, try soaking it in pb blaster overnight, or using heat on the bolt and letting it cool. I tried everything but wound up cutting mine out. An air powered cut-off tool works the best for this. I wouldn't bother with a hack saw or anything else, that metal is quite hard.

Pico
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
The bolt is rust-welded to the inner shell of the bushing. As mentioned, try soaking it in pb blaster overnight, or using heat on the bolt and letting it cool. I tried everything but wound up cutting mine out. An air powered cut-off tool works the best for this. I wouldn't bother with a hack saw or anything else, that metal is quite hard.
I had to do the same thing PB Blaster didnt help so I had to grind and cut the arm in order to replace it

LX-incredible
05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
If you are careful you can cut the inner bushing shell and bolt without damaging the arm or the fork. You will still need to drill or burn the rubber out of the bushing, remove the shell and press a new bushing in.

mcfly
05-15-2007, 01:08 AM
i took a sawsall to the old shock
but yes i did use pb blaster

russiankid
05-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Cut the bolt off, then drill out the rubber part of the bushing and cut the metal housing off/out. Careful not to damage the arm. Then replace the bushing along with the bolt. That is what my brother and i did.

P.S We used a hacksaw to get the metal housing of the bushing out.

carotman
05-16-2007, 08:34 AM
The nut is also welded to the shock (in the rear)

Just do what russiankid suggested. Cut the bolt and take the shock out. You'll be able to replace the bushind and the bolt then reinstall the new shocks.

mcfly
05-16-2007, 01:43 PM
thought you had to press new bushings in and out?
i can do it in the car?

regardless i got the shock off but the bolt is stuck in there mad tight

russiankid
05-16-2007, 03:00 PM
thought you had to press new bushings in and out?
i can do it in the car?

regardless i got the shock off but the bolt is stuck in there mad tight
Bushings are pressed in, but you can drill out the old bushing. Just drill out the rubber part, then using a hacksaw make slits in the metal casing. Make sure not to damage the arms. Then just tap the metal casing out. If you take the control arm off, the bolt that mounts the arm to the body will be stuck as well in the bushing. So you do the same method for removing the bolt as you did for the other bushing. Then just get new bushings and get them pressed in.

P.S You will need new bolts too.

HondaBoy
05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
another trick. get a crayon and a torch. heat the piece the bolt is stuck in, touch the crayon to the metal and sometimes makes stuck bolts or studs come out more easily. maybe use a punch and hammer after doing so to spin it out. dunno if you got things to work but good luck.

mcfly
05-17-2007, 01:34 AM
taking a trip to the junker tomorrow too see if i can take one off the many parts cars out there. if not i will be using some heat then a drill.