PDA

View Full Version : ECT...??

88LXiHB
04-28-2002, 03:13 PM
My ECU is telling me that I have a bad ECT sensor (Engine coolant Temperature). My question is: Would a bad ECT make my car run bad? cause it sounds like it would just give bad readings to my temp gauge or something...

My car has what I thought was a fuel problem, it studders on accelleration, has a bad idle, when I blip the throttle the RPMS will drop, when I'm pushing in the clutch to stop, my RPMs will just fall all the way to zero, and then it will either die, or idle bad for like a split second, then bounce right back up to 1K. All of these problems happen often, but not all the time, thats what I dont get...

Could my bad ECT be causing all of this??:confused:

Oh yeah, where is my ECT...

Damnit, I'm a DX user AGAIN Marc!!!!:D

86AccordLxi
04-28-2002, 03:43 PM
What is an ECT?

Alex

88LXiHB
04-28-2002, 03:46 PM
I edited my post...

A20A3Power
04-28-2002, 06:59 PM
yea ur ECT sensor could be doing that....eventually its gonna get bad enuf to the point where the car wont start anymore after its warmed up. The problem is once the check engine light comes on for that sensor, the engine goes into limp mode, which is full rich and retards the ignition for safety. My car used to have that problem...it smoked a lot on hard acceleration (too much gas) backfired on shifts, or just letting up on the gas with it still in gear....once u change the sensor..the car will run like new.....and DAMMIT...im a DX user again too....argh...

88LXiHB
04-28-2002, 07:09 PM
You just described some more problems I'm having, I think this is my problem. I just found out last night that I painted over my check engine light by accident, and havent seen it for about 3 months(I AM retarded :( ) , thats why I figured it was a fuel problem.

Does anyone know where it is located on the car, and where I could get a new one??

DarknessRS
04-28-2002, 10:54 PM
Here it is:

DarknessRS
04-28-2002, 11:01 PM
And another

88LXiHB
04-30-2002, 07:10 PM
I put in my new ECT today, fixed my idle problem kinda, still idles low, but woun't drop all the way to "0" and/or die anymore...

My first gear feels strong, my second gear still has a kind of pause before full power (PRETEC? :rolleyes: ), and my third, fourth, and fith gears still feel like they're "bogging down" under hard acceleration...:confused:

DarknessRS
04-30-2002, 10:50 PM
Hmm, well try some simple stuff like changing your air filter. It also might be a problem with your fuel injectors. Try some of that fuel injector cleaner additive stuff.

carotman
05-01-2002, 05:31 AM
If it was running rich for a long time, that engine might be dirty.

Like DarknessRS said, try that Injector cleaner.

3rdgenSLIMER
05-01-2002, 06:16 PM
hey darkness..........where did you get those pictures??? cause if it was in a book for our cars, i wanna know where to get it.

DarknessRS
05-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Those pictures are out of the 1989 Honda Accord Service Manual. Back when it was new, it was $80. There is also a Hayes brand manual for the car. I don't know what either book goes for now.

locknload68
05-03-2002, 12:25 PM
Is the ECT only on EFI models? The problems 88LXiHB had are kinda like mine. But I have a carb :(

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by locknload68
Is the ECT only on EFI models? :( I don't have a carb, but the chilton's shows an ect in their carb wiring diagram. Could be wrong. :confused: What I want to add, has nothing to do with the ect. I broke fan sensor "b", between the bleed screw & the ect, while changing my ect, D'oh! When I replaced it, my left fan began running along with the right! Before it only ran when the a/c was on. Also, now the left fan also runs after the car is shut off for about 20 min. I'm guessing! Thought it was worth mentiong, in case any 1 has those symptoms. I hadn't see any thing mentioned about it before, and was planning on grabbing a fan control at the "yard"! :smokin:

DarknessRS
05-03-2002, 01:31 PM
The carbureted engine also has an engine coolant sensor, but it is located in a different place.