PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Maverik
04-29-2002, 12:13 PM
hey everyone..... i got a question for ya..... i got a 89 Accord LX. i am thinking of changing my front brake rotors and pads... what will i have to do extra.... if i change my front rotors to LX-i rotors.... i know they r biger and i need different calipers.... A. is it worth it? B. will i have problems with braking? C. what other things will need to be changed? and any other info that could be usefull i appritiate. also which r good pads to go with. I am planning to change my cause they suck ass... after constant braking the pedal stays hard but it takes the brakes alot longer to brake.

anchovies
04-29-2002, 02:29 PM
i think the lx rotors are smaller than lxi
so u will need new calipers and bigger wheels to go with it
bigger rotors - better stopping power but also depends on the caliper that u use and number of pistons on it

which kind of pads depend on what kind of rotors u are planning on getting...do u want to upgrade to bigger ones or performance ones also?

the problem with your braking system is probably due to the brake lines expanding

hope this helps

A20A3Power
04-29-2002, 09:33 PM
ur brake lines arent bad....ur getting what is called pad fade. THe pad gets so hot from repeated hard braking that the organic surface melts, which makes it less grippy...this also causes ur rotors to glaze over, which hurts stopping even more. u should get slotted rotors and new pads...they are better than cross drilled because te drilled ones tend to track after a lot of abuse...ur pedal remaining hard but the car not stopping is a sign of this.
Brake fade is caused by the fluid boiling in the lines because it gets too hot. The pedal would go to the floor after repeated hard braking...mine did this so i upgraded to Motul...havent had a problem since

THe worse case..which is also one i have...is the master cylinder is worn out..and the pedal goes dead if u try to maintain a constant pressure on it...u just have to replace the master cylinder on this one (about 70 bucks from a junker,or like 60 remanufactured on nopi.) I consider this the worst...because even in this case..if im on a hill..i have to put the ebrake up because eventually the pressure goes down and i roll backwards...

toastyghost
04-30-2002, 06:43 PM
A ruptured master cylinder is no fun. That happened in my other car (the Z34) and by the time I got it to the shop the fucking backup chamber had ruptured too, so there was literally almost no stopping power at all. The shit cost me $220 to fix but keep in mind this was in a large and somewhat obscure domestic. Good luck fixing whatever is wrong with your brakes.

Chrome_thangs
04-30-2002, 08:09 PM
My brakes do the same thing they slowly lose their pressure at stops on hills until the car creaks foward. So the culprit is the master cylinder thanx

DarknessRS
04-30-2002, 10:58 PM
If you are thinking of spending $$ on bigger brakes, you should skip over the LXi and go for an aftermarket model. I believe the LXi has 12" rotors, if you want some great stopping power buy an aftermarket 15".

Maverik
05-05-2002, 10:53 AM
thanx alot for all ur replies.... i have talked to many ppl also and this is what i am going to try to do.... i am going to go to advance autoparts store and buy Bendix brakepads and new rotors.... or i am really thinking of getting the GreenStuff pads.... anyone thinks this is a good idea or bad let me know! thanx! i just want to be able to brake fine.... not going to mod anything .... i just turned 175000miles. just do highway and some city driving...

Jims 86LXI HB
05-05-2002, 11:24 AM
I have the EBC pads, they are very nice pads. In my experience they are a higher performance product then conventional semi-metalic pads. But, they aren't so much better that they are justified by their high price, especially if your not into hard brake applications like I end up doing.;)