PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Dent Please

Hans
05-16-2007, 08:10 PM
How would I go about getting this dent out? I'm talking about the one infront of the rear wheel.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z97/Hans_1988/P5090380S.jpg

Catalyst
05-16-2007, 09:54 PM
There is a way to do it without hurting your paint, and since it isn't real bad, you can probably use suction cups to pull it out. Its called painless dent removal. If you've got a good suction cup around, you can give it a go yourself, but I know professionals have special kits that can suck that dent right out.

A18A
05-16-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah a suction cup should get that ding out, mine had a dent like that, i just smacked it out from the inside though

Hans
05-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Okay thanks, I'll try that. :)

twofast4u
05-19-2007, 11:40 AM
try this:

http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/macgyver-tip-fix-a-dent-with-canned-air-and-a-hair-dryer-254575.php

BITESIZE
05-19-2007, 12:30 PM
try this:
http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/macgyver-tip-fix-a-dent-with-canned-air-and-a-hair-dryer-254575.php

Holy shit! Thats a good thing to know!

lostforawhile
05-19-2007, 12:46 PM
that dent is not going to pull with a suction cup,i can tell from looking at it in the picture,at least not right. if you picked up a basic set of hammer and dollys off the net,and a good book on old school metalworking or a video on basic hammer and dolly work,you could fix that yourself. i would go with the video so you can see someone doing it. that metal has deformed and stretched,so it's not going to go back to it's original shape without help. I fixed a dent like that on both sides. my wife and i used an electric dent puller,it welds itself to the panel,and has a built in slide hammer,you pull a little,twist it off, etc. you can buy oner from eastwood.com that welds small studs on to the panel,this is the same pricipal,but you have to clip off the studs and grind the surface. both work just as good but one takes a little bit longer then the other. in both cases you pull the metal to within maby an eigth of an inch of the surface,and finish with a very light coat of filler. if you try to pull all the way to the surface,you stand to strech the metal,then you have a mess. pulling close to the surface,relieves the stresses caused by the dent,and allows the filler to make a proper finish on the surface. you are probably going to have to repaint that quarter. the difference between the hammer and dolly work is with this,you have to remove interior panels to access the dent, and the puller allows you to do the repair without going through that.

twofast4u
05-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Holy shit! Thats a good thing to know!
I know! I dont think it will work for small dents though, but someone ought to try it and let us know! now the real question is is it worth a sticky or in the how to for removing dents if it works...hmmm? Sorry for getting off topic, but let us know what you did to fix your dent so we know what to do if it ever happens to us in the same location

jschatte
05-19-2007, 04:42 PM
i had a dent the same size and in the same place, and i popped it out with a plunger.

Ichiban
05-19-2007, 04:50 PM
I would remove the interior panel and bonk it out from the backside with a good sized dolly. Make sure you only dolly the part of the metal that is actually bent, as the creases hold the surrounding metal out of shape. Once the crease is removed, the surrounding metal will have come back to shape on it's own. If you try to "dent" the metal back to height, you will end up with a big mess.

Hans
05-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Well I'd try it myself if I didn't have a new paint job. For peace of mind I'm gonna take it to a friends shop. Thanks for the advice. I really want to try that method on the video, but on a different car first lol

MessyHonda
05-19-2007, 11:08 PM
yeah that video shows it for a big dent....i dont think it would work on dings.

mushroom_toy
05-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Take the panel off and if you can fit your hand in behind it try to push it out, but next would be hammer and dolly for me.