PDA

View Full Version : Tool for separating Tie Rod and Ball Joint From Knuckle

bushbean
05-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I've seen this tool being used before, but don't know where to buy one. Does anyone know where? It lets you separate tie rod and ball joint from knuckle without destroying the boot.

88accordlxcarb
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_specialized/tie_rod_end.htm

Best part is, its free.

86AccordLxi
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
A pitman puller. Harbor freight has them for like $10-15.

Alex

bushbean
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Autozone's pitman arm puller is only good for tie rods, but no good for ball joint. The tool I saw consists of two steel pieces that clamps together, so that you could stick it into hard-to-reach areas, like the ball joint. This tool was $80 twenty years ago. Today, it would probably cost twice that much. Expensive, but very much worth it because it's kinder and gentler to the ball joint. So, it's worth it.

bushbean
05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
In case anyone is interested, after extensive research, I was able to find the tool. It turns out to be a tool made by Honda. Stock number is 07941-6920002. It's called "Ball Joint Remover."

Blkblurr
05-18-2007, 06:14 AM
The pitman arm puller works for ball joints as well cause our ball joints are small.

russiankid
05-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Autozone's pitman arm puller is only good for tie rods, but no good for ball joint. The tool I saw consists of two steel pieces that clamps together, so that you could stick it into hard-to-reach areas, like the ball joint. This tool was $80 twenty years ago. Today, it would probably cost twice that much. Expensive, but very much worth it because it's kinder and gentler to the ball joint. So, it's worth it.
This is what 88accordlxcarb showed you
http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_specialized/tie_rod_end.htm

I have that, and i use it to separate all off the ball joints in the suspension.

bushbean
05-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Now I see what yall talking about. On Accords, the ball joint is pressed into the steering knuckle, so that the ball joint is pointing down. I didn't realize the Accord is setup this way. On my Civic, the ball joint is pressed into the lower control arm, so that the ball joint is pointing up and that a pitman arm puller would not work in the case of my Civic because the driveshaft is in the way.

I would think that the Civic's design is better because the nut on the ball joint is better protected. The nut on the Accord is sticking down, which makes it prone to damage from road debries.

Blkblurr
05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I have 251,000 miles on mine and no noticable damage to the nut or threads. It's such a small risk that I don't think it matters. The ball joint is easy to pop using the tool shown in the link above. It's the same one I have.

russiankid
05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Now I see what yall talking about. On Accords, the ball joint is pressed into the steering knuckle, so that the ball joint is pointing down. I didn't realize the Accord is setup this way. On my Civic, the ball joint is pressed into the lower control arm, so that the ball joint is pointing up and that a pitman arm puller would not work in the case of my Civic because the driveshaft is in the way.
I would think that the Civic's design is better because the nut on the ball joint is better protected. The nut on the Accord is sticking down, which makes it prone to damage from road debries.
The lower control arm ball joint is tucked into the wheel.

AccordEpicenter
05-18-2007, 06:18 PM
i just take the nut off the lower ball joint and hammer right on the lower control arm right at the ball joint until it loosens up, and it will work, you just need to use a bfh

lostforawhile
05-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I have the same tool from autozone or advance,it looks like a boxed in piece with a notch and two ears,there is a big screw at the bottom you turn with a wrench or a socket. I think I paid ten bucks for it years ago. I have taken ball joints and tie rod ends off on this car,other peoples accords,my wifes civic,and even junkyard cars with frozen ball joints,never had a problem with it. also i've never seen a damaged castlated nut on an accord,even on hundreds at junkyards.

1ajs
05-18-2007, 07:47 PM
get a prospecters hamer

88Accord-DX
05-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Push up on the tie rod end with one hand & hit the shit out of the steering knuckle right beside where it attaches with a 3 lb. sledge hammer. Works everytime.