PDA

View Full Version : exhaustmanifold bold striped inside bolts fell out!

salgmz
05-18-2007, 10:04 AM
my exhaust manifold boldt are striped inside the block so when i drove my car the bolts fel out and now i only got two wut do i do. i dont got that much money i need to fix it so i can drive.

MessyHonda
05-18-2007, 11:18 AM
my exhaust manifold boldt are striped inside the block so when i drove my car the bolts fel out and now i only got two wut do i do. i dont got that much money i need to fix it so i can drive.

i believe they are easy to replace. you would need new studs...get OEM honda ones and some screw extractors and fix it. also replace the head gasket.

BITESIZE
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
New studs are expensive.

LX-incredible
05-18-2007, 12:18 PM
For removing the studs (if there is still thread on 'em), thread two nuts on and tighten them against each other. Then remove the stud by turning the inside nut ccw. If the threads in the head are stripped, you will need to drill it out, tap, and helicoil or something similar. You also may be able to find a larger stud and drill out the hole on the manifold a little, this would be the strongest option.

LX-incredible
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
New studs are expensive.
Yes they are.:violin:

lostforawhile
05-18-2007, 03:35 PM
i believe they are easy to replace. you would need new studs...get OEM honda ones and some screw extractors and fix it. also replace the head gasket.i have a thread on here somewhere with pictures on fixing this. it's much eaisier to get a helicoil kit for 5/16-18 standard exaust studs,then to try and find the metric helicoil kit and crap. don't use an off brand helicoil kit!! 5/16-18 studs will have coarse thread on one end,and fine thread on the other. they will work fine with the manifold. you can buy a guinine helicoil kit at Nappa under the balkamp name,but it's real helicoils. the part number of what you need is 770-3045 . you will also need to eithier buy,or borrow a right angle drill to drill the holes the correct size for the helicoils. you also need a 21/64 drill bit. this is the correct size for this helicoil insert. this is not an easy job,if you don't feel you can do it,don't attemp it. you can mess up your head if you aren't careful. i will look for the thread now.

lostforawhile
05-18-2007, 03:47 PM
here is the link to the thread and some very clear pictures,you will also need a donut gasket for the manifold to exaust gasket,and a new exaust manifold gasket. you HAVE to remove the manifold to do this properly,there is barely enough room to work with the manifold off let alone on. like i said earlier,this is a difficult job,it''s not easy, the 5/16-18 studs will fit through the holes on the manifold just fine,it's sometimes difficult to find metric exaust studs,and especially difficult to find a metric helicoil kit in this size.5/16-18 exaust studs should be available at almost any auto parts store. here is the link:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55731

salgmz
05-23-2007, 10:29 AM
fuk that im throwing my car away i got a new probe gt turbo so im setting the honda for a project!

lostforawhile
05-24-2007, 05:19 PM
don't throw your car away,sell it to someone on the site for parts,i'm sure someone will give you more then a junkyard for the good parts in it. for a note,if anyone else has this problem and fixes it, check you manifold for warpage,the exaust leaking can cause it to warp,also check the cyl. head. mine had warped,and i just took it to work,and ran it on the big belt sander. if you don't have one of those available, you can get it done pretty cheap at most machine shops. it's a good idea anyway if the manifold is already off. it will seal much better with a new gasket,this way. also while the manifold is off,get them to remove the three exaust studs on the bottom of the manifold. once they get this old,they are prone to break easy. it's a simple job for a good shop to heat them,and remove them. replace them with quality studs like ARP,and you will probably never have to worry about them again. it cost me 40 bucks,but it was cheap insurance,since they were engine experts here,and used to removing old studs without damage.