PDA

View Full Version : Car dies and wont start...

Bullit
05-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Recently my car's idle would drop down all the way until the car stopped running, but was fine as long as I was driving. Well, I let it die and I couldn't get it started again; later that day I unscrewed the gas cap and let out the pressure (I thought it had something to do with me topping it off earlier) and it started up and ran fine for a week or so.
Today I was driving home from work and was stopped at a light when I looked down and saw that my car was no longer running. I tried unscrewing the gas cap again but the car still wont start. Any ideas?

Oldblueaccord
05-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Carb or EFI

That gas cap trick works for carbs well. But it maybe something with the cool down that is letting it start again.

If its carb see if it has fuel in the carb (squirter) when you move the throttle with the air cleaner off. if it doesn't there a fuel problem. You may simply have to drill a small hole in the gas cap to vent more. or it maybe more towards the many carb related problems.

wp

synikil
05-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I just bought a 86 accord and I have the same problems. At cold start it idles high but when it's warm the idle=dead engine. But when I drive it drives fine. When I press the brake it seems like it drags the motor down even quicker if thats possible. So if you figure out how to fix this let me know to.

russiankid
05-18-2007, 07:53 PM
How are your fuel filters? When was the last time you had a tune up? Do you have any vacuum leaks?

Civic Accord Honda
05-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I just bought a 86 accord and I have the same problems. At cold start it idles high but when it's warm the idle=dead engine. But when I drive it drives fine. When I press the brake it seems like it drags the motor down even quicker if thats possible. So if you figure out how to fix this let me know to.
:welcome: to 3geez
is it carb or EFI?

Bullit
05-19-2007, 09:46 AM
How are your fuel filters? When was the last time you had a tune up? Do you have any vacuum leaks?
It's carbed. I replaced my fuel filters for emissions about 6 months ago, so they're pretty new. I'm not sure if I have any vacuum leaks, is there an easy way to check for them?

I'll take the air-box lid off and see if fuel is getting in there...
Someone also told me it could be the O2 sensor, how would I tell if that's the problem?

LX-incredible
05-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Have you replaced your air filter recently?

Bullit
05-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Have you replaced your air filter recently?
Yes, same time as the fuel filters.

Ok, so after letting it sit overnight, my car runs great after it warms up. I let it idle for about 20 minutes, nothing wrong with it. I even took it down the street and red-lined it and still no stalling after that.

Sooo, what the heck? :huh:

russiankid
05-19-2007, 02:34 PM
It's carbed. I replaced my fuel filters for emissions about 6 months ago, so they're pretty new. I'm not sure if I have any vacuum leaks, is there an easy way to check for them?
I'll take the air-box lid off and see if fuel is getting in there...
Someone also told me it could be the O2 sensor, how would I tell if that's the problem?
Make sure you plug up all the vacuum lines when you take off the airbox so the engine can run right without the air box. Also, as far i know, the O2 sensor isn't even used until it comes time for emmissions.

russiankid
05-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, same time as the fuel filters.
Ok, so after letting it sit overnight, my car runs great after it warms up. I let it idle for about 20 minutes, nothing wrong with it. I even took it down the street and red-lined it and still no stalling after that.
Sooo, what the heck? :huh:
Try cleaning out your carb. How are you spark plugs? Rotor? Cap?Wires?

synikil
05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I did a preasure check on mine with the cleaner off of it and it's 19 at about 1k idle speed. I even had it idleing with with the covers off... Thought it was fixed.. Put everything back on and was about to start it back up when I noticed the screw that holds the adjustment on the distributer was back half way out so i just screwed it back in and Started it back up and it was back to not idleing. I am going to change the PCV, Distributer, Wires, Plugs, Fuel Filters, and if I feel energetic the vacume lines... Maybe that will fix it.

A20A1
05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
lable the vacuum lines if you remove them to help with reinstalling them

5/32 I think was the size of our hoses, usually they have a thicker wall to them to prevent the hose from collapsing under vacuum.