PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problems?

Estimated Prophet
05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
My car ran fine on the way to work this morning and during my lunch break but not when I went to leave. It would crank and cut off instantly. This repeated 3-4 times and then would crank and run fine. If I shut it off it will crank right back up fine after this. But if it sits and cools down the process repeats.

dlr1989
05-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Does the car die the instant that you release the key after the engine starts? Are things like the clock and idiot lights on or off after it dies? What you have described sounds a lot like an ignition switch problem. 3rd gen accords are notorious about this.

MessyHonda
05-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Does the car die the instant that you release the key after the engine starts? Are things like the clock and idiot lights on or off after it dies? What you have described sounds a lot like an ignition switch problem. 3rd gen accords are notorious about this.

yup it happen to me a month ago at like 2am play with the key and try to hold it in place or just wiggle it.

Estimated Prophet
05-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah definitely the the ignition switch. If I hold to a certain spot like Messy said it will stay running. Gotta wait till Monday to replace it. I was supposed to go get laid tonight but the 3g is cock blocking me. :(

2oodoor
05-19-2007, 11:27 AM
dont you just love it when a plan cums thru... :)
"A team"

count yourself lucky though at least it was not the headlights going kaput in the middle of the night, from the ign switch failing.:)

Estimated Prophet
05-19-2007, 12:11 PM
I wish I had a camera, I rigged a screw and a wing nut that wedges between the column and the key to keep it running. I McGuyvered that shit so I can drive it until Monday.

LX-incredible
05-19-2007, 01:59 PM
count yourself lucky though at least it was not the headlights going kaput in the middle of the night, from the ign switch failing.:) The headlights aren't wired through the ignition switch, but the turn signals are.:)

2oodoor
05-19-2007, 05:30 PM
The headlights aren't wired through the ignition switch, but the turn signals are.:)
True, then ok how about the alternator field.. lol
anyway advice for all, one thing that can get this type of thing started is having a couple pounds of keys ( or a bunch too many ) on your key ring.

MessyHonda
05-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah definitely the the ignition switch. If I hold to a certain spot like Messy said it will stay running. Gotta wait till Monday to replace it. I was supposed to go get laid tonight but the 3g is cock blocking me. :(

yup....i got mine new from honda...it was like 55 bucks....only took like 20 mins to install. i would unplug the batt because i blew a fuse since the back of the switch is bare and i think it touched ground.

Vanilla Sky
05-19-2007, 11:46 PM
I thought you knew better than to prepay for teh sexors!

While this has been reliably diagnosed as an ignition switch problem, I had a similar problem that turned out to be fuel cutoff relay related (carbed car). Replaced the relay with a spare and fixed the problem.

dlr1989
05-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Definitely pull off a battery connection when relpacing the ignition switch. I dropped a socket that hit the back of the switch and blew a fuse when I installed mine. None of the local autoparts places had the exact fuse on hand, so I had to special order it.:rant:

yup....i got mine new from honda...it was like 55 bucks....only took like 20 mins to install. i would unplug the batt because i blew a fuse since the back of the switch is bare and i think it touched ground.

MessyHonda
05-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Definitely pull off a battery connection when relpacing the ignition switch. I dropped a socket that hit the back of the switch and blew a fuse when I installed mine. None of the local autoparts places had the exact fuse on hand, so I had to special order it.:rant:
yeah... i went to kragen, napa and they didnt have it so i went to honda and they didnt have it i told the guy that i needed it the same day so he checked the computer and found one in the honda like 15 mins away.....i drove down there and he said they had like 8 left.....cost me like 8 bucks also.