PDA

View Full Version : help with steering u joint

lostforawhile
05-20-2007, 03:25 PM
hey in the process of removing my colum to replace my steering rack,are the u joint bolts covered or something on this car? i don't mean the plastic cover, i mean are there snap in bolt covers or something? i need to take the pinch bolt loose,and the hardware seems covered up somehow. i am just removing the entire colum,due to the fact i'm going to finally put my pedals in in the process. won't be able to do anything until after tuesday anyway,got to take it for an alignment as soon as the rack is in. the front tires need to be replaced too,due to the fact they are chewed up now. car is undrivable,the inner tie rods are so bad i'm afraid the steering is going to come apart. i've had the rack here for a while,but haven't had time to put it in.

lostforawhile
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
in all the years i've been working on this car,and as many as i've taken apart,I never realized there was a secret compartment panel under the gas pedal. no wonder i couldn't find the stupid u joints. they were so detail oriented in building this car, they even put a piece of soundproofing on the backside of it. now i can see the original paint color just as it looked 21 years ago too. probably hasn't seen the light of day in that long. speaking of joints,if you are into that kind of thing,that would be a good place to put your stash. if I can take the car apart and not find that compartment,some cop isn't gonna find it eithier. the only other type of people who build comparments into floor pans like that,are aircraft manufacturers. most domestic car makers put the u joints out in the open. these look brand new after 21 years. the more i work on this car,the more the detail honda has put into it amazes me.

MessyHonda
05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
in all the years i've been working on this car,and as many as i've taken apart,I never realized there was a secret compartment panel under the gas pedal. no wonder i couldn't find the stupid u joints. they were so detail oriented in building this car, they even put a piece of soundproofing on the backside of it. now i can see the original paint color just as it looked 21 years ago too. probably hasn't seen the light of day in that long. speaking of joints,if you are into that kind of thing,that would be a good place to put your stash. if I can take the car apart and not find that compartment,some cop isn't gonna find it eithier. the only other type of people who build comparments into floor pans like that,are aircraft manufacturers. most domestic car makers put the u joints out in the open. these look brand new after 21 years. the more i work on this car,the more the detail honda has put into it amazes me.

lol nice find.

LX-incredible
05-21-2007, 07:39 PM
It took me a while to figure that one out, the manual that I was using never mentioned the cover. It would be a good place to stash.

lostforawhile
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
in everything i read never was mentioned anywhere,isn't that kind of info important? it's also a good place for a small alarm module. just make sure it's secured tight. could bind your steering up. could mount it to the back of the panel.

ghettogeddy
05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
in everything i read never was mentioned anywhere,isn't that kind of info important? it's also a good place for a small alarm module. just make sure it's secured tight. could bind your steering up. could mount it to the back of the panel.
or maybe even a kill switch for long term storage but im gona look into the alarm thingy