PDA

View Full Version : wheel studs broke off while drivin

drago742
05-21-2007, 04:44 AM
so im commin home from my dads house last night and im makin preaty good time im crusin at 80 or so and for a while i heard some weird noise i couldnt make out what it was so i keep goin then i came toa rough part in the road is was preaty bumpy then next thing i know it sounds like the wheel came off and started rubbin inside the fender so i pulll of teh road and slide to a stop and jump out the car and check teh wheel and 2 wheel studs broke off and the thrid wheel lock came of and the last wheel lock was bearly holdin the wheel in place i was so scared im not gion to lie and on top of that where i stoped was pitchedd black good thing i had the rear tiired tucked in the fenders or else i think the wheel would of came off completly i was ok just a lil shaken up but its cost 260 to get it towed and fixed :( now every one is bustin my ball about gettin rid of the car and drive the neon that i have but i dont want to i love drivin my lxi even if i did get rid of it id just get another 89 lxi coupe and rub it in there face lol

Jasonf860
05-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Ive got one word for you...

PUNCTUATION!

drago742
05-21-2007, 04:47 AM
lol yea, that is one long run on sentence lol.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
05-21-2007, 05:55 AM
What likely happened in your case is that the wheel lugs were loose and allowed the wheel to move. This in turn caused it to put too much stress on the studs and break them. Its a good habit to check the lugs for tightness periodically to avoid these kinds of situations.

MessyHonda
05-21-2007, 07:56 AM
yeah a good torque wrench helps also dont over tighten them its not good.

Chef Boyardee
05-21-2007, 08:08 AM
yeah a good torque wrench helps also dont over tighten them its not good.

Impact guns with multiple torque settings ftw

MessyHonda
05-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Impact guns with multiple torque settings ftw

lol.....i use one and it always torque the lug nuts to 110lbs...the fat fives are not going nowhere

1ajs
05-21-2007, 09:23 AM
oww man i'd say keep the poor thing and get rid of the neon :P and pick up a 89 se-i

2drSE-i
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
yea who woudnt love to have an 89 SE-i :-D

ya but seriously it shouldnt cost 260 to get some wheel studs pressed in...thats kinda high. Unless you broke something else in the process.

AccordEpicenter
05-21-2007, 02:13 PM
i use torque sticks with an 80ft lb rating, works great and its fast. You just use them like a socket on the end of your impact and they limit the torque. Ive seen studs fatigue themselves pretty badly too but id venture to say most broken wheel studs and problems like that are from improper torque

drago742
05-22-2007, 11:20 AM
yea i dont rele want the neon but its just there lol yea its that much cuz i had to get it towed its ready now but i cant get to it till saturday and the mechanic is tryin to tell me that he wont put the rim bak on the car and hes just goin to put a regular tire on there im like wtf just put the shit on it will fit back on there so im just goin to bring the otehr 2 steel wheels and just drive it home

Blkblurr
05-22-2007, 11:29 AM
The rim was most likely damaged during this event so he's not going to put it back on. Can't blame him for that. He's doing his job.

Legend_master
05-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Is it the front wheel or the back? I replace my own studs and the back is much easier then the front.

thegreatdane
05-22-2007, 02:41 PM
What likely happened in your case is that the wheel lugs were loose and allowed the wheel to move. This in turn caused it to put too much stress on the studs and break them. Its a good habit to check the lugs for tightness periodically to avoid these kinds of situations.

Excactly. That will chop them right off.

You had the wheel off recently perhaps? And forgot to tighten it properly. Alloy wheels tends to make the lug nuts come loose, if they're not retorqued short after being mounted.

w261w261
05-22-2007, 03:16 PM
<<Alloy wheels tends to make the lug nuts come loose, if they're not retorqued short after being mounted>>

I've never noticed that. What would cause it to happen?

russiankid
05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
I just use the iron wrench in the trunk. No problems yet.

HondaBoy
05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
impact wrech with torque sticks, FTW! dont have to worry about breaking things or damaging the wheel or hub. personally i change my wheels out fairly often since i have a few sets, i usually use a large breaker bar and by now i know how tight they should go by feel. but yeah, over torqueing or leaving a lug nut loose will cause this type of thing. likely in this case, they were sligtly loose and vibrated even looser creating this to happen. wheel studs are very cheap and somewhat easy to replace.

halxi
05-22-2007, 04:09 PM

or as stated, way too much torque.

lostforawhile
05-22-2007, 04:18 PM
this is why when i did my suspension i used ARP, these are much stronger then factory or autoparts store studs. they really didn't cost much more eithier,

Legend_master
05-22-2007, 05:27 PM
this is why when i did my suspension i used ARP, these are much stronger then factory or autoparts store studs. they really didn't cost much more eithier,

Yep I did the same thing, ARP's rock :) .

thegreatdane
05-23-2007, 07:29 AM
<<Alloy wheels tends to make the lug nuts come loose, if they're not retorqued short after being mounted>>
I've never noticed that. What would cause it to happen?

I'm not sure, I guess it has something to do with the material. I've only tried it once myself, and I never retorque them myself either I just make sure to torque them properly when I put them on.

And I'd like to refrase what I wrote, what I mean is that it tends to only happen with alloy's. But it happens very rarely.