PDA

View Full Version : My 86 Hatch needs some carb help from the 3geez gurus!

prototype
05-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Alright so in short, after fixing the transmission for the 3rd time and finally getting those hybrid gears to mesh right (don't let your friends help, they lose your gears...) I started the car. Now when I bought the car before I did any heavy mods to the carb, it always idled really high, 3-4k.. but I noticed the choke never opened more than a few millimeters, maybe 1/4 of inch at best. Now with everything seemingly fixed on the carb, if I start it up and open the choke to 1/4 of an inch she idles perfectly (all vacume and emissions are gone)...
800 rpm.

If I open the choke all the way, it dies out unless my foots on the gas. Sounds like a/f ratio problem right? I can idle up the car with the throttle adjustment screw to about 1600rpm and it'll run fine, but then the car isn't even running on the idle jet anymore, correct?

Thanks for the input guys!

A20A1
05-21-2007, 06:12 PM
1000 rpm is okay idle for neutral though you may want it lower for a manual trans car.

I don't see why you need it to be 1600 rpm, unless something is wrong.
Do you have a vacuum guage? or some way to check for vacuum leaks?

HondaBoy
05-22-2007, 09:11 PM
hey, so mine was doing exactly what your's was doing. turned out the be the O rings on the venturis were bad. replaced them and all was well until recently, but i did take the top hat off and didnt replace the gasket with a new one. those were the only O rings i didnt replace, also the venturis were a bit loose. might check them by seeing if you can wiggle them a bit. i've been having trouble with the carb rebuild kits though. they seem to deteriorate quickly. but yeah, that sounds like the venturi is loose or leaking at the O ring as mine did. actually happened on 2 different carbs.