PDA

View Full Version : timing belt problems

newaccorddriver
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
well, i put my engine together today, and i seem to have hit some timing belt issues. i went to honda for the belt, so i highly doubt they gave me the wrong part since it matches the honda part number, the invoice, and the belts part number on the belt itself. im unsure of the timing tensioner, but as of now, it seems to be the correct one(i will be running it by my machinist tomorrow for good measure).

well, here is the problem i have. i put on the belt making sure it was on properly, so dont ask me that question or you will be shot. the problem im having is that the belt itself seems a little on the loose side even though i moved the tensioner as much as i could. its not horribly loose to a point there i can pull it off, but its not tight to a point where i can depend on it not slipping off while driving. to put this into perspective, on the fromt side of the motor, with the timing belt off, there is quite a bit of movement on the belt when im pushing up against it. on the backside, its fairly tight. when im manually cranking the motor by hand, the part of the belt that is near the cam pulley looks like its going to fall off somehow, but as i keep turning the crankshaft, it seems to tighten itself back up. as far as cranking direction goes, im cranking clockwise, so counter-clockwise should be better im hoping.

can anyone lend me some advice?

A20A1
05-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Did they shave your block or head? was your head gasket changed as well? that would take up some slack.

Never rotate the crank clockwise, it actually says in the repair manual that can cause problems with the belt.

Rotate it Counter-Clockwise, that is the way our motor naturally spins if you're on the pully side of the motor.

LX-incredible
05-21-2007, 08:26 PM
At TDC, loosen tensioner and rotate the crank CCW until the cam gear moves 3 teeth. Hold the crank and tighten the tensioner.
If the belt is still loose, you might need to push the tensioner in by prying on it and then tighten. Rotate the tightened belt a few revolutions and re-tighten using the normal method.