PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problem

Hazwan
05-22-2007, 01:16 AM
My lights flicker a lot and very noticeable during idle. I've checked the voltage both at the alternator terminal and I'm getting around 13.8 to 14.2.

I've checked the regulator (external) and even bypassed the regulator and still having the flickering lights and same voltage output during idle.

Some people suggests its the brush going out. What else could go wrong?

I'm thinking of replacing the brush on my own, is this something a n00b like me can do? I have the service manual and the steps are clear enough for me (I think!)

MessyHonda
05-22-2007, 07:25 AM
well have you covered the basics by checking your ground cables. im not sure in the 1st gens but my car gets 14.4 at idle.

Hazwan
05-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Yes, I did the 'Big 3' upgrade, so the grounds shouldn't be a problem.

As for the output voltage, the regulator needs some fine adjustment, but its still within the spec (13.5-14.5v). It used to get only 12 something during idle before.

2ndGenGuy
05-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Is that voltage fluctuating? It should stay pretty damn steady, usually below 1000rpm it will be about 13.5v and above will be 14.5v. But if you hold the RPM steady, the voltage shouldn't fluctuate between that a whole lot...

offthahook
05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I would say you could do the brushes yourself. Sounds like you covered the necessary items. You'll need a decent vise and some patience. Oh yeah, might wanna take pics as you go so you will get everything back as it should be. Problem might be finding a set of brushes. Hopefully, they're pretty standard and were used on a lot of cars for a lot of years.

2ndGenGuy
05-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah you might have a hard time finding parts for that. I couldn't get any parts to rebuild mine, but they may have used more standard alts for the 1g.

Hazwan
05-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Is that voltage fluctuating? It should stay pretty damn steady, usually below 1000rpm it will be about 13.5v and above will be 14.5v. But if you hold the RPM steady, the voltage shouldn't fluctuate between that a whole lot...

Yeah the voltage fluctuate a lot. Its around 13.8v to 14.2v in each second.

One more thing, the flickering lights are very noticeable when its cold.

2ndGenGuy
05-22-2007, 08:38 PM
That sounds to me more like the voltage regulator. But I don't know a whole lot about alternator design. If it's an external regulator, can you replace it seperately?

Hazwan
05-22-2007, 08:50 PM
That sounds to me more like the voltage regulator. But I don't know a whole lot about alternator design. If it's an external regulator, can you replace it seperately?

I dunno, I tried bypassing the regulator for testing (as in the manual) and the lights still flicker. Or is it normal?

I've tested and readjusted the regulator and everything is in spec. I even cleaned the contacts.

2ndGenGuy
05-22-2007, 09:29 PM
If you bypassed the voltage regulator, and the voltage is fluctuating, it sounds to me like the regulator isn't doing anything... Like, the regulator isn't performing any function right now. I don't know if parts are hard to find in your area, but I'd replace it if possible.

Hazwan
05-22-2007, 10:08 PM
I guess I'll check the brushes first since they are a lot cheaper than a new regulator:P

If the regulator is shot and costs too much to replace, I'm going to upgrade to higher output alt with built in regulator.